How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

I imagine so… I feel like Japan, much like Taiwan, probably doesn’t have that much going on to fill the air. Unlike the USA, where the usual scheduling is murder, murder, drugs, Trump spouting some dumb bullshit, murder, vehicular manslaughter, boner pill commercial, big milk commercial (tbh haven’t seen one of these in a bit), murder, Biden in the Vatican, something actually nice, and a murder to close it off.

1 Like

Not exclusively

6 Likes

Legislator Lai Shyh-bao hit two women on a crosswalk in Taipei last night. He was driving an SUV. He apparently failed to yield to them while they had the green light. No alcohol involved. One woman suffered a fracture of some kind and the other woman had a scalp injury. Thankfully, it seems they will be fine.

These SUVs are a menace to pedestrians in Taipei on small streets and lanes like the one where this accident occured. Rui’an Street Lane 208.

5 Likes

Gotta get these cars off the road and onto the sidewalks where they belong!

10 Likes
1 Like

He also said A-pillar, too dark, the two girls were chatting so maybe they didn’t see his vehicle.

4 Likes

Fuck me, is that going to be the next one? Pedestrians: don’t use your phones! Don’t walk! Don’t run! Make eye contact through the layers of thick black paint on vehicles’ windshields! Wave and bow and curtsey if a car very kindly gives way to you instead of crushing you to death! And now: no talking!

6 Likes

I think the no talking thing actually started in Taipei over a decade ago when police were issuing fines to pedestrians crossing street on the crosswalk but were talking on their cellphones, so even if you were walking at a normal pace, eyes forward and scanning the area ahead of you you got a ticket since you were talking on your phone as a pedestrian when crossing. Of course like a lot of things it was just a show and didn’t last.

During that time they also recommended to pedestrians to not chit chat if I’m remembering correctly. The solution to problems were/are to blame it all on pedestrians.

3 Likes

Lol this country is seriously backwards

1 Like

Of all the illegal parking places they could choose, they choose the most obvious one. By the way, that big building is a parking lot with a lot of empty spaces.

8 Likes

Like a fly on shit.

3 Likes

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/news/5899978

1 Like

Nothing that a good bow can’t fix.

2 Likes

In Keelung

1 Like

Would it have made a difference if he killed them? Probably not.

After the Japanese tourist was run over by a vehicle in new Taipei local police (SanXia) say they will enter a period of strict enforcement for 1 week for road users failing to yield to pedestrians.

9 Likes

That’ll teach’m!

10 Likes

Apparently, all you need is one week to end the pedestrian hell in Taiwan .

7 Likes

One week to make people and media forget about it and move on to something else

8 Likes

Also be a japanes tourist victim, for do it,

1 Like