How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

Thailand…

4 Likes

:thinking: Would this explain why headlights seem to be so bright here? Trying to find an explanation for this and the only reason I could think of is that I’m just not used to walking in the literal middle of the street directly in front of head lights.

People drive with high beam lights on all the time.

4 Likes

We already had the tinted windows debate about six months ago (I think it might have been this same thread actually). One guy was adamant tinted windows was not a problem, and that calling for a ban on tinted windows was voyeuristic and didn’t respect people’s privacy.

So, yeah, people are insane.

As I’ve said before, other pedestrians are half the problem. So many times I see pedestrians give way to motorists, it just reinforces the de facto priority of use that motorists have. Sure, it might be dangerous sometimes to just march out without making sure it’s safe, but people here just straight up let the cars go first.

1 Like

My friend got hit from behind while on a Shilin sidewalk by a scooter doing around 40km.

He nearly died. He’s a big guy around 6.2 well over 200 lbs - the scooter lifted him up like a rag doll, apparently he did a 360 in mid air was just lucky not to land on his head. Three months hospital stay and a permanent limp the result.

The scooter rider ended up paying out around 20,000 ntd which is just nothing for what he did.

Furthermore the scooter guy was pretty blasé and dismissive of the whole thing.

Until some sort of decent enforcement and punishment system is in play nothing will change.

13 Likes

It’s no more dangerous than walking across the crossing. Walk, and stick your hand up in the international stop gesture at the same time. Try it, it works pretty good.

The other day I had to jump backwards because a distracted female driver was literally going to hit me. I smacked her window and she stopped and apologized, but what really wanted to do was to slap her face out of shape.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I didn’t even realise you had to yield at those crossings without lights. Goes to show how often I’ve seen drivers not yielding for those crossing that I believed you didn’t have to yield!

Drivers/riders are required to yield to pedestrians everywhere, even if there is no crossing! (Exception for pedestrians on sidewalks, they’re fair game for riders.)

First clip in this compilation shows a bunch of people crossing and some scooter rider tries to force his way through and comes extremely close to a pedestrian, who in either self-defense or as a panic reaction pushed away the scooter driver who then fell on the ground.

5 Likes

So the pedestrian was to blame?

Seems like the police didn’t get a report about it. Seems as long as it wasn’t done “intentionally” they probably wouldn’t have given the pedestrian a ticket.

3 Likes

not to beat a dead horse on how retarding tinted windows are for driving. But there is the added reality of Taiwanese eyesight in general

:whistle:

Nevermind the actual roadways being constructed towards causing accidents. eg lines. intersection, passing etc. The government should be sued for liability in some accidents in my opinion.

I digress. Carry a weapon that isnt classified as a weapon. Blue truck and taxi logic.

4 Likes

Anybody else hate EVs, on how they creep up soundlessly in a car garage or outdoors, thus raising the chances of getting hit as your hearing senses don’t pick up any kind of motorized sound. It’s happened way too many times.

Not really. I prefer EV’s over farting scooters.

5 Likes

a farting scooter can be heard far away. you only need to get run over once by an EV to hate its soundlessness.

I’m too good at being a pedestrian to get hit by things I can’t hear.

May have to clean up your blood with Brawny towels. :wink:

1 Like

No, they are much preferable to the sound of wankers who think they should wake up the whole street when they blast through with their modified exhausts. If there’s one thing on this planet i can’t understand it is people who do that.

7 Likes