How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

In Taichung’s Qingshui district a pedestrian was hit by a scooter that ran a red light (was red for quite a while). The scooter driver picked up his scooter and left the scene. The pedestrian was left sitting on the ground for 2 minutes. Not a single person stopped to help the pedestrian until a few minutes later a store worker nearby came out to help.

In Taipei an older couple was nearly run over by a young driver. The wife went over and gave him a piece of her mind and the younger guy kept bowing his head downwards and saying sorry.

A scooter driver doesn’t yield to a pedestrian right in front of a police officer also on a scooter, police officer does nothing.

Pedestrian in Kaoshiung almost gets run over by a bus.

2 Likes

Just another day in paradise. Either Taiwans incidents related to pedestrians all get recorded or this place is really messed up! Which one is it ?

This one is really flying.

3 Likes

Outskirts of Banqiao?

Look at those stupidly wide roads in that video. There’s absolutely nothing in that road “design” to stop complete fools like Mr White Car from treating them like a personal racetrack, with predictable results.

Guy

3 Likes

Missed one, young boy in Changhua hit by scooter whilst crossing on the crosswalk. Car in front of the camera is probably illegally parked, also blocking the view. Cammer’s car might also be illegally parked as well given how close it is to the crossing. From what I can see on Google maps it seems like they might be slightly parked on the red line. First car definitely illegal parked though.

1 Like

I can’t tell from the video, did the boy have right of way or did he just run into traffic?

Yeah, probably both, which if the boy did have right of way definitely contributes to the accident

1 Like

imagen
imagen
imagen

Taiwan is so crowded that they don’t have space for sidewalks.
But for four lanes and parking? Hell yes!

5 Likes

The allocation of space here (and in that Banqiao video) is completely f&cked up.

Guy

1 Like

Traffic light was flashing ambar. In my book, it means pedestrians have the right of way. In Taiwan I am pretty sure it does not mean that, at least not de facto.

3 Likes

Oh, so this is another infrastructure fail, in addition to illegal parking and careless driving

I actually don’t know what the law would be in that case. Certainly if I was driving and came to a blinking red, I’d have to wait for those with amber to pass.

2 Likes

Flashing yellow traffic light, so vehicles should yield to him.

3 Likes

In Taiwan, the word’s etymology gets another layer. Everything is infra of what should be.

2 Likes

Good to know. If I’m on a quiet road and see someone waiting, i stop because I’m not an asshole. If the road is busy, I don’t stop because I don’t want to get hit. In this case, if I couldn’t see the kid because of the car I wouldn’t stop

If I were the pedstrian, I’d wait a while first. After a long wait, I’d stand at the edge and make sure I’m seen before I move to the next lane. Kid shouldn’t have run out like that, was stupid.

1 Like

Those 2.5 lanes quickly become one with illegally parked cars and double parking. It’s a serious issue in Taichung on some roads and really makes it hard for bus drivers to navigate. Even worse on single lane roads…can hold up a bus for minutes depending on traffic in the oncoming lane if the illegally parked car owner doesn’t come out and move their car.

In one video (forgot which one) I saw one comment where a person said they used to work as a bus driver in Taiwan. They used to use the bus dashcam to report people illegally parking in bus stops. Eventually he was told to stop using the bus dashcam so he started using his phone if he had the chance and was eventually told to stop reporting it all together. Not sure how true it is but certainly believable.

All these issues plus bus drivers getting fined or in trouble from their company for being a little late…no wonder bus drivers are so terrible trying to go as fast as they can, opening doors when the vehicles are still moving (so damn dangerous) slamming breaks/accelerator and don’t give a fuck about grandma/grandpa getting a seat or grabbing onto something first.

Kids are kids. The whole traffic situation in Taiwan is the only stupid thing here.

4 Likes

He was walking at first. Hard to tell in the video because his face is blurred out but I think he saw the bus coming on the other side of the road and it wasn’t slowing down so he decided to start running.

Also for context, all the videos I shared were from roughly just the past day and I found simply by looking up pedestrian in Chinese on youtube. Took less than a minute to find these videos, fairly common unfortunately.

1 Like

Another post online sharing frustration of using a baby stroller in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Stupid kids grow up to be traffic engineers, and park cars. Hopefully

Don’t get me wrong, I think the traffic here is ridiculous. Just saying, people running into traffic is part of the overall system of madness.

2 Likes

Kids when faced with traffic often seem to have some trouble judging speed, distance, whether there’s enough time to cross. If you see them darting around it’s typically because they don’t have the experience or the ability to judge what’s safe, or not. Even as a bicycle driver I need to be extra cautious when I see them around.

Guy

2 Likes