How do you ask a girl out?

My friend tells me it turned out she had a secret boyfriend

What’s a secret boyfriend

Really? I knew about these before I even got here. And not just 'cos I was studying this site for advice on this country.

Shame your mate isn’t confident, apparently these can be pretty easy to shake out.
There’s a reason they are kept secret.
Unless they have tonnes of money, then he’s unlikely to win.

I don’t get it.

Don’t worry, it’s not a big deal. Of my limited experience there is a disproportionately high occurrence of Taiwanese girls who have a boyfriend of some sort but it’s officially secret. Like back when you were 12 year olds, but this seems to continue right the way through to even middle age. I stumbled upon this in a conversation with an older Taiwanese guy and realised that my (now) wife had been describing this very thing when she was younger. Since then I’ve brought it up with a few Taiwanese friends or even friends of friends in London (I need something to engage them with, right?) and they all seem a little stunned - especially when I use the phrase “secret boyfriend” (well the girls do, the boys all laugh - some more nervously than others) but it certainly is not uncommon.

With social media it’s even easier. Get her line, chat with her. If she doesn’t reply or replies slowly with short answers, then maybe don’t bother. If you’re chatting a lot online then it takes zero balls to ask her to a movie or for a coffee. If you can’t even get her out for a coffee or lunch then don’t bother. Example "Do you like Mexican food because I’m going to check out this new Mexican restaurant "…It is so darn easy, they just say yes, maybe or no. Maybe normally means yes but push a bit harder lol

But why is it secret? They are ashamed of the guy?

I noticed a trend in Taiwan where, (like you just mentioned about slow line responses.), they will not take initiative to start line chats and I often find the type of women that give one sentence answers and make you wait for replies. Or they will say maybe to dates they don’t want to go on instead of just saying no.

Or my biggest pet peeve is them inviting their girlfriends to tag along on first dates. And worse yet I had one talk about finances on the first date.

There is a thing here called “blue light” and “green light” boyfriend. One is a guy (green light) they date and everyone knows about him and approves of him. The other (blue light) she is dating at the same time and she likes more than green light guy but knows her family and friends would not approve of him , so she keeps it secret. (I may have the colors wrong’ but two colors)

Yeah “Line Delay” is sometimes “The I don’t want to look too keen game lol.” So childish and boring.

Ouch. And the guys are ok with this lol?

I think generally the Blue light guy knows and is ok with it , but Green light guy doesn’t know and would “Go postal” if he found out.

That’s pretty cruel.

Yeah you can ask some local Taiwanese women about it. Green Light guy is also often called “Tool Box”
Can you fix my bike?
Can you help me with my project
Can you pick me up from Sogo
…。

But don’t expect to be using your “tools”… I have someone else for those jobs :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

ha ha ha. That’s a good one. Made me laugh. You have some dark humor!

1 Like

Would friends with benefits be a green light guy?

1 Like

I’ve been in both situations. All in my youth but been there. Blue light is far better than tool box, but I’ve been suckered into tool box too. Live and learn.
Yes the guy with benefits maybe, especially if family and friends like him.

And you don’t want to ‘read’ it as it shows read and then you’d be expected to reply.
They do that a few times and I’m out it’s obviously like the movie says, they’re just not that into you

1 Like