How do you calculate the 183 days for APRC?

Hi i went to the NIA yesterday. Probably it changed and I wanted to inform the forum.

My ARC was issued on 31st of January 2018.

They say I have to stay for 183 days within the period 1st of February 2018 - 31st of January 2019.

So it depends from when the ARC was issued but it’s NOT withing the calendar year.

Anyone else aware of this?

My ARC was issued on April. I left the country on August and came back on end of June the next year. After I arrived I went to clarify with the NIA and everything was fine. In that case based on what everyone is saying I should have had problems.

I think NIA has different staff giving different information.

You can come back after one year or more. Just that year it doesn’t count for APRC.

Basically what we are speaking about is NOT about leaving the country for more than 183 days but ‘making the year relevant’ in order to have APRC after 5 years.

Edit: APRC, I was already an APRC holder when I left

Ah than it is totally fine. We are speaking about staying more than 183days each year IN ORDER TO get APRC

Yes , but if you leave for more than 183 days regardless what we are talking about you will lose ARC for that period and need to re-apply it

Absolutely yes. I know…

1 Like

Got it

I called the NIA a few days ago and they said that it doesn’t matter when your ARC is issued, it’s all about when you apply. They said for example that if you apply for the APRC or naturalisation in May, they’ll calculate the 183 days from May to May for the previous 3 or 5 years.

Absolutely correct! Anyway between application and issuance normally it’s not more than 2 weeks. Anyway the main purpose of the topic was to clarify about how the 183 days are counted. As you said if you apply in May, they count from May to May

Earlier you said it was counted from the day you recieve your original ARC. So now I’m confused.

Yes but that’s what I said even in my last message…

Where?

If you apply in May for example, they count from May to May. It’s correct. This is like to say that they count from the day you recieve your original ARC

I think you might be misunderstanding what I said originally.

I’ll do an example:

Person comes to Taiwan in September 2015 on a marriage visa.

They become eligible to apply for naturalisation in September 2018.

They decide to actually apply for the naturalisation in December 2018.

According to what the NIA told me on the phone, in this case they wouldn’t count from September to September for the previous 3 years, they would count from December to December for those 3 years.

Is this what they told you to? Your earlier message sounds like they said something else.

This is about naturalization I’m not familiar with it. For people who want information about how 183 days are counted for getting APRC after five years the answer is…from the day they recieve the first ARC and one year from that moment. 183 days within the next 365 days from the moment of ARC issuance.

They told me that they count the same way for APRC and naturalisation.

So we are being told different information…

To confirm, they told you that they count the 183 days in the 365 days following your first ARC issuance? Which would mean if your first ARC was issued July 2015, they would count July to July?

Of course they count from when you apply. Otherwise also a person is always elegible ‘potentially’ to get ARC. But they count the days of ARC from when you have it…

In your example is like that after 5 years i get eligible for APRC. But the day since when I have APRC is from when I apply and I get it not when I’m ‘potentially’ eligible.

You are still misunderstanding, I’m not talking about becoming eligible.

I’m talking about how they calculate the 183 days. They told me they count backwards from when you apply for the naturalisation or APRC.

Ok so what’s your point about: How are the 183 days counted in order to get APRC?