How do you guys and gals hit your macros in Taiwan?

Hi all. I just moved back to Taiwan (Bouncing between Taipei and Hsinchu) to wait to start my military service, and am struggling to eat enough protein without eating like 3000 calories worth of carbs. I get breakfast from Mei Er Mei, lunch ordered in to the office is usually bento with rice or noodles but only ever comes with a microscopic piece of meat, so that leaves me with only dinner and I don’t even have a kitchenette. I’m not trying to do a bodybuilding regimen or anything, but I would just like to eat somewhere close to 1x bodyweight in lb/gram everyday.

I know people say peanut butter but Taiwanese food is already loaded with cooking oil, and I’m not a fan of just eating it with a piece of bread. Right now I’m just drinking 3 scoops protein shake after dinner but this feels like a bandaid rather than a solution.

What do y’all do? Is there like a standard Taiwanese dish that that has good lean meats? Is there something that I don’t have to cook that I can stock up on from the supermarket?

Thanks!

Sashimi

ETA: You shouldn’t say “gals”. You sound like a Reba McEntire impersonator.

3 Likes

My go-to for meeting my (protein) macros are:
Shashimi (like @Rocket said), though pricey
Chicken breast for ~50NT at 7-11
One carton box of Soy Milk a day (I prefer black soy)
Protein powder supplementation
There are more healthy bento places popping up here and there. Miss Energy has a couple locations. Some Eslite locations sell high-protein, relatively low-calorie bentos, but priced fairly high at ~150 NTD.

2 Likes

Sashimi seems the obvious choice. Is ji pai too oily?

Don’t forget that your Gπ is coated in flour or something, it’s actually pretty carb loaded

1 Like

I would say so. The macro ratios just aren’t worth it, especially if you want to stay lean. Yeah, you get a lot of protein, but the fat content also takes up a lot of calories if you want to place limits on yourself. As @Rocket mentioned, there are a lot of carbs too.

Hotpot must be pretty low carb.

It is.
Unfortunately, it’s also boiled garbage.

4 Likes

Nothing’s ever perfect.

Yeah say cats and kittens

1 Like

I don’t know, I could show you a couple dumpsters that come pretty dang close…

2 Likes

Hotpot could encourage someone to lose weight. Do you want to eat hotpot? No.

2 Likes

calling Dr.@Andrew0409, Dr.@Andrew0409, please report to the exercise room, stat.

Nonfat Greek yogurt from Costco

You should be able to get 1 g/lb without consuming 3,000 calories worth of carbs but I would suggest that you consider alternative solutions for lunch. I’d personally find it difficult to meet my nutritional goals in 2 meals with lunch being a bit of a throwaway.

1 Like

I actually go get a few plates of sashimi at after workouts sometimes. I get lots of eggs, 711 has those hot spring eggs I eat everyday almost. I also get double meat when I get lunch boxes. Sometimes I also order an entire fish to eat by myself. Oysters are also a good option.

download

I also eat these a lot. Theyre cheap and tasty. I don’t know what they would be called in mandarin, I pronounce it La Ah, in Taiwanese.

I also get tofu with thousand-year egg often.

thousand-year-egg-16

Hong Kong roasted duck or pork is good option.

17 images (1)

You have to look scavage your protein in Taiwan, and probably need a protein shake or two if you really want to have high protein intake. Or cook yourself. I didn’t eat the healthiest in Taiwan, I didn’t shy away from carbs as I was active. But that would definitely make you fat if you aren’t active daily.

Also canned fish. Lots of variety in Taiwan. Every 711 has them

6 Likes

I just buy groceries and cook my own meals. For lunch if I didn’t bring something to work, I’ll get something With a good balance of meat and vegetables. I buy ON protein powder from PCHome 24 (the ones from GNC makes my stomach hurt). It’s really not that difficult.

2 Likes

That’s impressive! Even I am unable to eat close to my bodyweight and I eat a lot of burgers and fries.

Almost no fat, 38 ntd.

1 Like