How do you keep your feet dry or do you

Sometimes I change to dry shoes everyday, sometimes I wear waterproof shoes, sometimes I wear slippers, sometimes I just wear the same wettish shoes to and from office every day and change there, lately I wear slippers and carry my shoes to the gym and change when I get there.

Convenient that you can go in anywhere in Taiwan with slippers it seems.

1 Like

I have designated commute shoes. I also usually have a little rag with me, for toweling off sweat or rain.

I’ve been thinking about getting some rain boots, but I worry the opening will be too wide for my legs and the rain will just fall directly into my boot…

I got several pairs of waterproof shoes, I hate wet feet. And I have sensitive skin, walking in muddy waters is not for me.

Rainboots at the office are a must.

Not the most stylish and certainly not cheap but LA NEW has some waterproof shoes that are very comfortable, keep my feet dry and has crazy good grip. And the shoes do NOT “squeak” when when and walking inside on tiled flooring like some athletic shoes will.
http://www.lanew.com.tw/SalePage/Index/5017463?cid=247310

Another option is I use a waterproofing spray on some of my athletic shoes that have “knit uppers”. Not 100% waterproof but keeps you dry. But you do need to re-spray every 3 months or so. Also you need to be careful about the material of your shoes.

Walk around barefoot asking people for hugs.

3 Likes

I had some Crocs rubber boat shoes for a while but they get smelly fast and are squeaky.

Screenshot_20190604-101313_Chrome

Where can one procure such objects on this island?

@tango42 I don’t usually pay attention to people’s shoes but noticed today a lot of locals walking around in rubber slippers without socks.

I bought mine on Amazon and brought it back with me during a trip back to the US, but I originally got the idea walking around Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Xinyi building A11 (i think)…called “T-Fence” and they had a video. I did NOT buy this brand but the same concept. Works well…i don’t use it in crazy rainstorms but for normal rain showers to and from the MRT and work it’s great.

Just remember to do a little test spot on your shoes to make sure it does not discolor your shoes.

Shoe stores.

Supermarkets like City Super, Jason´s.

Actually, I am baffled. Waterproof shoes should be the norm here, not -gulp- blue slippers. But I guess we know which one is cheaper.

1 Like

Right now I’m using a blow dryer to dry my tennis shoes.

tomorrow shopping for those rubber shoes that look like tennis shoes but let the water go in and out.

All this sloppy “'slippers” stuff is Tchinglish.

They are NOT “slippers”, unless you are Taiwanese, when you can also call white untoasted plastic sliced bread “toast” and get away with it.

They are “sandals” or “flip-flops”

Yáll are going native.

Of course if you ARE native, er… Pisay, Pisay, or words to that effect.

The snag with those is that, on the polished granite pavement that is of course just the favorite thing for this stupidly soggy monsoonal island, they are drastically, aquaplane-tastically slippery and begging for a broken hip.

Wonder how the fall-injury statistics for, say, older Taiwanese compare with countries without a pavement bling thing?

2 Likes

I buy water resistant shoes when I go back to Canada.

…They don’t sell my size here…

1 Like

Boots.

All us Taiwan, I mean Taipei , old timers know this.:grinning: Get yerself a pair of boots.

Who remembers when you’d walk on the pavement and the puddles were hiding under the loose tiles.:sunglasses:

I wear sandals, flip flops for pottering about locally .

1 Like

Dunno. Today one of my dearest coworkers had a nasty fall just at the entrance of the office. Wet marble floor. She was wearing sneakers/sports shoes… what we call tennis shoes.

I ain’t no native.

So a lan bai would not be blue slippers but white-blue rubber sandals?

Yep, good old rubber boots, knee high. Thick coat. Bob’s your uncle.

1 Like

“Yep, good old rubber boots, knee high. Thick coat. Bob’s your uncle.”

I assume you mean wellies, though there are other types of rubber boots. The thick coat thing would very seldom be tolerable here.

Wellies would make sense in some conditions, but they seem to be pretty much all-weather workwear down here in the agricultural Southlands.

If I tried that I’d get toadstools.

I wear Taiwanese Army boots (blackboard jungle boots) or Crocs (original or cheapo Chinese copies moulded from industrial waste)

Once they get worn Crocs are almost as slippery as flip-flops, but they cope better with the other culturally conditioned pavement hazard; Obstacles.

Down here, anyway, the pavement changes level frequently as the bizniz with that bit of frontage imposes their particular brand of bling on the surface, plus they leave random bits of rebar and rubble in the dividing line, where no face is at stake. If you don’t maintain a fighter pilots level of situational awareness and terrain avoidance, in flip-flops, you are going to hurt yourself.

I used to wear flip-flops, and if I’d started a collection when I got here I could have had an impressive surfer-sharktooth-stylee necklace made with my destroyed and removed (mostly by doctors, with pliers) big toenails.

I had a technecium bone scan about 10 years ago and both my big toes showed up as radiation hot spots.

I don’t wear flip-flops any more.

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning this! Every year when I slip, or at the least have an awkward save, I scratch my head about this very thing.

2 Likes

Mine are like this but adult size, bought in Canada:

https://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/wellie-rain-boots-b3544.html

Thick waterproof coat for winetr rains, but ther are very effective waterproof one sthat are also light. However, since it gets pretty windy here, you need something that will stand the elements, not a 711 yellow plastic bag material.

The pavementis a threat, you eitehr slip up or end up with your pants all wet.

I wear Merrell gore-tex shoes, and splash proof hiking pants almost everyday. I’m obviously not one for style, I look for functionality in my clothing. The long splash proof pant legs prevents water from dripping down the ankles into the shoes. The water proof shoes keep my socks and feet dry.

There have been many times this week where my co-workers ended up with wet socks and feet and I just feel my shoes a bit cooler than usual.

1 Like

I find the Merrill hiking shoes too slippery for sidewalks. TBH I think they are also slippery on hillsides. Maybe it is the model I got. Goretex and all.

We keep a hair dryer on premises for the splashes.

1 Like