How do you know you're a good teacher?

I’ve asked this question about myself over and over again…

If you

I believe that this is evidence that some people like you, or perhaps believe you are a good teacher, but it doesn’t directly answer your question.

Possibly a good teacher would have written the title of this thread somewhat more grammatically. :wink:

I should have written:

How do you avoid “trained attack weasels” when your trying to type well and express your ideas with few glasses of wine in ya…

This is not a self-appreciating list of experiences but rather a list of experiences from what I have gathered from myself and other teachers in the area.

Stick to the idea please, avoid my wine-soaked fingers and the attack weasels

I always make a point of avoiding wine soaked fingers and attack weasels and in this case I’ll even avoid making reference to lists that appreciate themselves or lists of experiences from what you gathered from yourself, er, gathered from your own experiences I’ll assume, and all in order to tell you that you might be one heck of a good conversation teacher, but by god I hope you don’t teach writing.

Ah, come on. This is a forum. We all make typos. The fact that he used ‘their’ instead of ‘they’re’ (twice) doesn’t mean he can’t teach writing. Give the guy(?) a break. He even said he was drinking and posting.
[edit: it was “your” instead of “you’re” rarther than “their/they’re” and he fixed the first of them]

As was mentioned, people liking you doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a good teacher. It does mean you’re probably a good employee at your school (meaning: a money making attraction), and that you certainly don’t suck. You probably also have good classroom management if you are treated that way.

I’ll add:
[ul][li]When you can see that most students are paying attention to you/their work for most of the class period. Students are on task.[/li]
[li]When students who were doing poorly are now doing markedly better.[/li]
[li]When on a regular basis you 1. find something students don’t know but should know at their level 2. make a plan to teach this to them 3. teach the concept/material they should know 4. use an assessment that genuinely measures if students know the material and can perform it and 5. find that the large majority of students do know it after you taught it[/li]
[li]When you can see your students improving over time and know what specifically has gotten better[/li][/ul]

I guess I should just re-sign from this argument.

[quote=“puiwaihin”]I’ll add:
[ul][li]When you can see that most students are paying attention to you/their work for most of the class period. Students are on task.[/li]
[li]When students who were doing poorly are now doing markedly better.[/li]
[li]When on a regular basis you 1. find something students don’t know but should know at their level 2. make a plan to teach this to them 3. teach the concept/material they should know 4. use an assessment that genuinely measures if students know the material and can perform it and 5. find that the large majority of students do know it after you taught it[/li]
[li]When you can see your students improving over time and know what specifically has gotten better[/li][/ul][/quote]

Ok, I am a good teacher.

Ironically, I think the post was intended as a joke. Too bad some people took it seriously.

A good teacher would take it seriously. :smiley:

So you keep telling us.

[quote=“circleback”]I’ve asked this question about myself over and over again…

If you

So you keep telling us.[/quote]

I’ll add one…

When even expats on discussion things are remembering what you’ve been saying and learning things. Example, bob has learnt that I am a good teacher and he can repeat this information.

mod, come on, this one’s a keeper.

Wanna hear what people in education have to say about good teaching?

Jospeh Lowman argues that it