How do you non-Americans go with pronounciation?

I wonder if my pronunciation messes with the kids brains. Like “I’ve been taught to say “banaaana” and here comes this 外師 who keeps saying “banahna” - is everything I know a lie?”
It confuses me too; like when I was teaching aunt and I kept saying “aunt” but the kids kept saying “aant” and I was like “am I wrong or are the kids wrong?”

Do you try and change your pronounciation and spelling to the American way or just do you?

I told the teacher that I’m pretty sure dislikes me that I thought I’d confused the kids because they’d noticed my pronunciation and started saying banana my way and she said “please teach them the correct way.” I mean my way of saying it is just as valid as the American way; although I suppose if they go to some test and say it like that the examinor will probably think they’re wrong. And if they go to America and speak like an Australian they will constantly get corrected (like I’ve got a Chinese friend who lives in Melbourne with relatives in America, and her cousin or something’s godfather is American and when she said the proper pronounciation of Melbourne he said to her “I think you’ll find it’s pronounced Mel-boooouuurne”.)

Anyway, rambling aside, I find it physically difficult to pronounce -ass words the American way

I guess it depends on the school. My school didn’t mind British, SA, or Australian accents. Mostly because kids have a different teacher everyday and the owners are a bit more enlightened than the average Taiwanese about what the “correct” pronunciations are.

Pronunciation is challenging.

You think the a sound is tripping kids up? Just say zebra to them, not “zeebra”, and see what happens. :rofl: :runaway:

It certainly appears to be for Americans :joy:

Stop oppressing the poor children with your bizarre Antipodean accent!

1 Like

Pish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NriDTxseog

For me,

Aunt = ant

Adult = AHdult as opposed to uhDULT
Address - same as above

Anti- with ee sound

Caught = cot

Zed
Zebra, though sesame street has influenced many to call it zeebra.

HA-lloween, not HALL-oween

Don = dawn
Father = bother

If I think of more, i’ll edit this post.

No I didn’t change my pronunciation when part time teaching. Boss hated me for it. I don’t honestly know all the americanisms and I don’t want to change either. It’s my Southern-Ontario-with-hints-of-Italian accent and proud of it.

For many Taiwanese, including those running socalled meiyu buxibans, the American way is the only way and the correct way, and even so, there is no accounting for the many American accents that dot the landscape. They have decided that the way people talk on their favourite American dramas and sitcoms is the correct way to speak and will hold you to that standard. There is no deviation. You must join the robots and be exactly the same.

I gotta say…the robots on those sitcoms are extremely lifelike.

1 Like

I mean, the robots that seem to inhabit Taiwan and sort of expect you to get in line. I’m an individual! :smiley:

Whatever the accent is, as long as its consistant it should be fine. No big fan of USA but to be fair in general weatern north america has an easier to get one as its not steong in most directions.

If they (teachers/bosses) get pushy, ask them to read the word lamp quick, grin, and tell them to please take a seat while the adults are talking.