How do you say EFL in Chinese

That does not match my perception of reality, dear bob.[/quote]

Heretic.

That does not match my perception of reality, dear bob.[/quote]

Anyway students in Taiwan are studying an FL regardless of whoose definition of FL we go by.

Still wondering how to say related/un related language, meiguanxi de yuyan would likely have them thinking silly talk.

Language family – yu3xi4, as in French and Italian belong to the same yu3xi4.
Cognate language – tong2xi4yu3yan2 (lit: common family language), as in French and Italian are tong2xi4yu3yan2.
Common root – tong2gen1, as in French and Italian are/have tong2gen1.

A bit Off Topic:

The main diffence between TESOL and TEFL should be the content. That I perceive as the fundamental problem here in Taiwan -among many, I know, but at least in theory, this is the one that gives me most grief. In a TESOL environment, you assume the student will have far more instances for practice and reinforcement of the structures and vocabulary, since there is more interaction with a target language speaking environment. A TEFL course should focus more on the reinforcemnet of structures, since the students do not hav ethat many chances to recive external meaningful input. Furthermore, usually, the student of ESOL will employ such skills on a long term basis in a living environment -immigrants, students, workers, etc- while TEFL may be purely academic in its nature -reading only courses, for instance.

Taiwan students should be getting FL instructions tailored to their needs and interests. So the students of Chinese Mandarin in Taiwan should be getting contextualized instruction in a TESOL style. Alas, it is not in either case, and probably never will.

The last two posts could, I suppose, be married thus…

Ying1wen2 gen1 zhong1wen2 cong2 bu4 yi2yang4 de yu3xi4, bu2 shi4 tong2xi4yu3yan2, mei2you3 tong2gen1. Ni3 zai4 tai4bei3 zhu4 de5 suo3yi3 ni3 lien4xi2 de5 ji1hui4 bu4 guo4. Suo3yi3 ni3 xu1yao4 zhuan1zhu4 ji1ben3 de5 ying1wen2, chuang4zhao4 you3qu4 de5 fu4xi2 ban4fa3.

Thanks kids.