How do you say fa1xie3 in English?

My brain has frozen. What’s the most natural way to translate the word fa1xie3 into English? It means to write over and over again, as a punishment. For example:

I will not slip acid into my teacher’s coffee again.

Lines.

‘to write x times as punishment’
‘to write sentences as punishment’
‘to be made to write on the blackboard as punishment’

I first thought you meant fa1 xie4 (發洩). That is, of course, what you need to do after asked to do fa2 xie3 (罰寫), that is “let all your anger out” or “vent”. :smiley:

write lines

After i took a dump in class, i had to write lines.

fa1 xie2 = to write something x times as a punishment

Yes, yes, I know what it means. :unamused: I was wondering what the most concise way to say it in English was, eg, please hand in your faxie books. Or, Johnny, did you remember to do your faxie?

I agree with Sandman - I think “lines” works best.

As hannes wrote above, the correct pronunciation is fa2 xie3 (罰寫).

Yes, yes, I know what it means. :unamused: I was wondering what the most concise way to say it in English was, eg, please hand in your faxie books. Or, Johnny, did you remember to do your faxie?

I agree with Sandman - I think “lines” works best.[/quote]

This reminds me of my Japanese friend’s question, “How do you say いただきます in English?”

いただきます, romanized as “itadakimasu”, is a set phrase Japanese people say before eating. It’s an important phrase and people often say it even before eating a small snack and sometimes even when nobody else is there to hear it.

The naive answer would be “bon appétit” or “We thank the lord for this meal”. The better answer, IMHO, is “You’re asking the wrong question.” The more productive question is whether or not English speakers say a set phrase right before eating. We don’t.

We don’t really have a commonly used word for 罰寫 either. The word “lines” might work if it’s a situation in which someone is being punished for misbehavior, but it sounds odd to me and it would be really, really strange to use that word when talking about students who have to 罰寫 misspelled words from a spelling quiz (as I often had to do as a child).

Why not just call it “writing”?

“Hand in your writing.”

[quote=“ironlady”]Why not just call it “writing”?

“Hand in your writing.”[/quote]
Heh, we have all kinds of “writing” books in our program. Depending on the level of the students, there are translation notebooks, homework notebooks books, essay notebooks, workbook correction notebooks, and memory test notebooks. We also have a notebook specifically for their lines. I was just wondering what the most apt word would be in English.

I figured that the accompanying glare from the teacher would clarify which writing you were talking about. :smiley:

Remedial lines?

They’re not remedial, they’re punishment.

I will remember to do my homework. x20

I will remember to bring my things to class. x20

etc.

I always say “punishment writing.”

I will always associate writing in English with negativity and punishment rather than communication.
I will always associate writing in English with negativity and punishment rather than communication.

[quote=“Buttercup”]I will always associate writing in English with negativity and punishment rather than communication.
I will always associate writing in English with negativity and punishment rather than communication.[/quote]

I bet you copied and pasted. :slight_smile:

We were told to “write lines” at school. Rarely though, as they preferred beating us with canes.

Lines are for the loosers who get caught. Childhood punishment is stupid as there is little gradation in terms of severity of offense and the most dire offenses are always rewarded by exclusion. The choices for the kid with little interest in pleasing the teacher are stark; angel or devil?

It’s just lines. Pure and simple. Only the girls got lines when I was at school. The boys got leathered with a tawse instead. Maoman, can’t you just hit 'em? Think of the savings on paper. Think of those poor trees!
You can easily make a tawse by just gluing three thick leather belts together lengthwise and making one or two splits (two is traditional) up to about halfway up its length. You get the kid to hold his hand out in front of him, palm up, and you hit it with the leather, taking at least a little bit of care you don’t break his fingers (although if you DO, its his own fault for not holding his hand out properly.) You can also if you prefer chase the offender around the room while swiping at his bare legs, which is even more painful. Be aware, however, that you need a certain level of agility and a sure aim to effect this one – there’s nothing so funny to the other kids as seeing the teacher staggering about the classroom, bashing into desks, etc., while taking wild and off-target swipes at the twinkling legs of the malcontent.