HOw do you say " To put people off...."?

E.g.
To put people off eating their food
To put me off from going

you could try
situ. 讓sb不想… + vb.
situation rang4 someone bu4 xiang3 + verb

害…不想… hai4…bu4xiang3 will give it a nice feel.

Nice!

I think it’s generally a bad idea to ask ‘how do you say x in Chinese?’ You usually just come up with a rough equivalent that doesn’t work in the specific context you are trying to appy it. Don’t force Chinese to be English.

I have something to do.

you shi

I think it’s a bad idea only if one of the two parties doesn’t understand that what’s being asked for isn’t a direct translation of the words, but rather a translation of the idea. Otherwise I see no problem with it, as long as you’re asking the right people. And I don’t see how anyone here is “forcing Chinese to be English.” Asking how an idea is expressed in another language is miles away from what you’re saying.

[quote=“hairy knuckles”]E.g.
To put people off eating their food
To put me off from going[/quote]

idunno about those two, but a slang often used for putting someone off, as in not wanting to hang out w/ them, is “la1 ge1 ze5” (i’m not really good with this romanization stuff, so i hope its accurate)

for example saying something like “are you putting me off” or “are you ignoring me” could be like “ni3 shi4 bu2 shi4 zai4 la1 wuo3 de5 ge1 ze5”.

ok, i dunno if i did that right. do you guys use 5 for short pronunciation? like the dot if you use Zhu Yin?

so if someone ever ditches you on a date, you can use that phrase the next time you see them…but i’ve never had to do that…

Yeah, just use a 5, or drop the tone mark or numeral, e.g.,
nĭde or ni3de or ni3de5, yours