How do you spot foreigners?

mjnemesis: "Brilliant, ImaniOU!!! I had forgotten about that one. Imagine my surprise and confusion when they said it at all times of the day. I thought that their English was lacking and it was the only phrase they knew, so I graciously responded with, “Good morning” at all hours, only to be confronted with the strangest looks I’ve ever seen. "

MJ nemesis; i dont get it. can you explain. good morning?

Foreigners don’t spit the bones on the table but rather remove them using a spoon, fork, chopsticks etc. and put them on the side of the plate.

As my wife is fond of reminding me, neither do well-mannered Chinese.

I usually spot other foreigners in the 711 grabbing piss from the fridge. The Taiwanese guys sometimes do this too though, but more often than not. they’ll be the ones carrying a bottle of whisby under their arm too.

… and the foreigner’s the one who’s cracked that beer open inside 7-11 (for immediate satiation, even though it’s to the aghast of Taiwanese customers) after having decided to wait in the queue (because it’s the proper thing to do) … and who then goes back to the fridge for another beer (because 1 slammed-beer just doesn’t give the same “hit” as before), before heading out meet his mates who are waiting at the makeshift living room outside the store (i.e. concrete step).

Cheers,

The Big Babou

Funny, I don’t seem to be meeting a lot of single women either! :wink:

But when I do, I don’t judge their ‘worth’ according to their weight. Pretty, fat, good in bed, fun to be with, intelligent: a woman can be any, all, or none of these without any one quality being dependent on another.

Being a lardarse is simply a physical characteristic, no more or less so than having a particular skin colour, and less repulsive (for instance) than having ginger pubes. I mention it in the same way that others mention curly hair.

So, for god’s sake stop going on about it. It makes you (Iris, was it?)sound like a paranoid lumpkin instead of a well-adjusted person who is confident in her overwhelming sexuality and attractiveness - which I’m sure you are and if you’d like to contact me I’m sure we could arrange a formal confirmation and a damned good…

[quote]… and the foreigner’s the one who’s cracked that beer open inside 7-11 (for immediate satiation, even though it’s to the aghast of Taiwanese customers) after having decided to wait in the queue (because it’s the proper thing to do) … and who then goes back to the fridge for another beer (because 1 slammed-beer just doesn’t give the same “hit” as before), before heading out meet his mates who are waiting at the makeshift living room outside the store (i.e. concrete step).

Cheers,

The Big Babou[/quote] :smiley: :smiley:

They are the guys who actually EAT at McD’s

The foreigner is the guy who realises his mistake too late and exits the restaurant toilet with a funny walk and a pained expression.

After picking up some wipage the foreigner is the guy who returns to the toilet to find it occupied, and announces his presence to the whole restaurant by thumping the door and bellowing “Godammit!”

Also, based on observations of a couple I saw on the MRT on the way home, the foreigner is the one with his mouth open and a credulous expression on his face. He’s also the one who speaks a brand of English I can’t understand.

sorry…but they don’t carry wisbih or bao-li-da in any of the chain convenience stores in taipei(7-11, family mart etc…) looked many times…always been disappointed…

-chris

mungacious wrote

[quote]amos wrote:
I usually spot other foreigners in the 711 grabbing piss from the fridge. The Taiwanese guys sometimes do this too though, but more often than not. they’ll be the ones carrying a bottle of whisby under their arm too.

sorry…but they don’t carry wisbih or bao-li-da in any of the chain convenience stores in taipei(7-11, family mart etc…) looked many times…always been disappointed…

-chris
[/quote]
Munga if you’re trying to be a prick, you might want to realise that I never said the whisby was bought from inside the 711. If you’re not being a smart arse then, hey, welcome to segue :wink:

One of the chains has Wisbey. Family or OK I think.

Brian

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]One of the chains has Wisbey. Family or OK I think.

Brian[/quote]

I thought the DOH declared that stuff a medicine or something and had it withdrawn from most stores?

[quote=“ImaniOU”]The foreigner is the one who holds the elevator door open with his or her hand because they haven’t experimented enough to figure out which character means open and which one means closed. The newbie is the one who says “Good morning” to the people in the convenience store because they think that’s what they are saying.

.[/quote]

what are the people in the convenience store saying?

[quote=“bobo”]

what are the people in the convenience store saying?[/quote]

“So long, and thanks for all the fish.”

Or maybe it’s “welcome.” I never can remember.

[quote=“serendipity”][quote=“bobo”]

what are the people in the convenience store saying?[/quote]

“So long, and thanks for all the fish.”

Or maybe it’s “welcome.” I never can remember.[/quote]

that fish bit must be a local saying of endearment to foreigners :laughing:

I thought they were saying xie guang nin. Thanks, ray (light), you (polite). I could be wrong, but that’s what it says on the doors of some stores as you leave. Could someone string those characters together? I am in Kaohsiung and my dictionary is still in Taipei.

"So long and thanks for all the fish" is a reference to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It’s what the dolphins wrote to the humans before they left Earth shortly before it was destroyed. It’s also the title of a book later in the series.

One more way to spot a foreigner is that they are the ones who line up to go up the escalator in an MRT stop during rush hour instead of going straight to the escalator and utilizing any space between two people to get in front of everyone with your backpack as a potential weapon to keep anyone from contesting you doing this…

Or maybe that’s just me.

[quote=“amos”]mungacious wrote

[quote]amos wrote:

-chris
[/quote]
Munga if you’re trying to be a prick, you might want to realise that I never said the whisby was bought from inside the 711. If you’re not being a smart arse then, hey, welcome to segue :wink:[/quote]

not trying to pick a fight or be a prick or anything. just saying…if you’re looking for the good stuff, you won’t find it at the 7-11…betel nut stands however… :stuck_out_tongue:

Good onya Munga, personally, I don’t go near the stuff anyway.