How does One become a moderator?

But that all depends on what your idea of moderating is…

True.

However, it seems that the moderators have started running a tighter ship here, IE more flamed posts, more floundering, more management of the debate here.

That’s a fact of life of forumosa, and tht will mean that a newbie moderator here will have a lot on his/hers plate, when moderating.

How does a moderator become one?
Be the post.
There is no ignore button.

[quote=“Richardm”]How does a moderator become one?
Be the post.
There is no ignore button.[/quote]
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

[quote=“Mr He”]If you say that you became a moderator of a very popular forum, where a lot of posters go after each others balls, like international politics or Living in Taiwan, or Open forum, then you would be looking at many hours slaving, splicing, splitting, flaming, and finally floundering.

Hard work at no pay, and then a cupful of abuse once in a while.[/quote]

I would never put my hand up for this job. Reality is even typing right now I am not making money where I could and will be in in a few more minutes.

Re time.

I would like to see 2 buttons to take time from moderators tasks.

Button 1.

I would be hit where the community sees a post as flaming, inappropriate or belonging in another thread.

Button 2. Where a post is particularly informative on a topic.

These buttons would require a number of hits, say 5 or more then show up for moderators.

This would;

1.Save moderator time (but still give them over ride option)
2. Allow new users to only look at flagged informative posts if they are just looking for very useful information on their topic.
3. Give the user community more of a feeling of involvement.

Safeguards could be put in place so certain ip addresses or combinations of users would be seen as over controlling or limit this to just one chance each 24 hours for users over say 25-100 posts to click a button.

I am guessing a reply is going to be software, software, bandwidth.

I second Ironman’s idea.

That way, a large part of the workload for the moderators would be taken care of. Also, the community as such would be helping in shaping what is good, acceptable, and beyond the pale. You might call it “forumosa netiquette by consensus”.

Excellent idea.

Ah but remember I have alot of times on my hands, and do enjoy spending time at this site, with no pay. Some people can be cut out for the job, others would rather not bothered. I see it more of a chance to help out others and a better excuse to tell the wife why I have to be in front of the computer reading the forum. :laughing: Even if I never become one, i’d still be here reading and adding useful? comments to the threads(see sig below). Also its too late Mr. He keeping my offline identity a secret, I have spent alot of time making it known, as my offline identity seems like more the person I really am. I assume others get a kick out of it too.