How does one find a university teaching position in Taiwan?

quality as in what? particularly good, or bad?

Exceptional, as in particularly good.

Guy

National Chin-Yi University of Technology in Taichung is looking for lecturers and professors for their Department of Applied English. Must have at least a Master’s degree. More information here: 【誠徵】應用英語系誠徵外籍師資專案教師1名 - 國立勤益科技大學應用英語系 (ncut.edu.tw)

Wait there’s a National Chin-Yi University?

OK, I just looked it up. It’s called National Chin-Yi University of Technology—NCUT!

Guy

2 Likes

I fixed it…Thanks for noticing my error.

1 Like

@Pedroli, here is the thread you are looking for

First, you need to find a university that wants to hire you. @tatterdemalion used to post jobs for English teachers here but not for a few months (thanks for your service).

The MOST has a job site that focuses on professors in the sciences, but there are others from time to time. I applied for a few Taiwan uni jobs that were advertised on various international job boards (I don’t have the links any more, but THE and the Chronicle are two that come to mind).

Getting a job depends on what your PhD is in, and a lot of other factors. It is very competitive now because the number of students is dropping, so there are fewer and fewer jobs available. If you are in a competitive field and have a competitive CV, that is good. If your PhD is in something obscure with little relevance to Taiwan/Taiwanese, and you don’t have a solid background in teaching and research, then getting a uni job will itself be a full time job for a while.

Once you find someone that wants to hire you, they will take you through the hiring process. For the MOE, the hiring process includes getting your degree authenticated, which is a bit inconvenient and I’m pretty sure this has been discussed in this thread.

2 Likes

you also have to get a certificate… lecturer’s, assistant professor, whatever it is too. Once you have it, you’re pretty much “in the system.” your first school will apply for this for you after perhaps a semester or year of working there.

Is that still the case? I get a ‘certificate’ every year but I’m pretty sure it isn’t a requirement for employment.

I didn’t need a certificate for my job, but I was hired 6 years ago so I don’t know if things have gotten stricter since then (fwiw, I also don’t have a PhD and now I think my school requires them for new full-time positions).

1 Like

I think that’s something more like a contract. but you should have a certificate that you got rather early on… it depends on your degree… masters you get a lecturer’s cert, PhD, I guess you would start as assistant prof and then you could move up to associate prof and then there’s another level after that, I believe.

1 Like

They require a PhD up to the point where they can’t fill a position. That’s what happened to me and several colleagues.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right. I got the lecturer’s certificate around ten years ago, but I thought it had been phased out.

nope, they still give out those certs and rankings these days. but once you have one, you’re pretty much in the system. I guess the only way out would be to really fuck up some how or just be a consistently bad teacher over the years.

1 Like

Yes there is: it’s called “Professor.” And more informal ranks are being added all the time to extend the ladder upwards, to Distinguished Professor, to Chair Professor, to University Chair Professor, to some kind of National Chair Professor, if I remember correctly!

Guy

1 Like

I suspect there would need to be some kind of demonstrated fraud or other serious misconduct for such a certificate to be revoked. I’ve never heard of this happening. :man_shrugging:

Guy

I don’t know. I started at uni 11 years ago and I doubt that I got one. Probably because I’m part-time.

They don’t dish them out to anyone.

1 Like

I’m not “anyone”! :rage: I consistently get very high student evaluations!

2 Likes

The MOE certificates have nothing to do with teaching excellence (or lack thereof). They are simply a marker of rank, based on education level and whether one has (if holding a PhD) gone through the promotion process. :grin:

Guy

You certainly know how to ruin my weekend. :cry:

1 Like