How does one find a university teaching position in Taiwan?

You guys all have valid points and I can’t go into too much detail for obvious reasons.

But…

1. All 100% legal and up to code. Building company checks each location carefully before its started and it only costs about a half million for all the safety code upgrades and license.
  2. You don’t need the older kids, elementary is more than enough.
  3. Teachers all have local roots and spouses, so they have a vested interest in success.
  4. There is a reason you don’t see them, which is one reason for their success.

thats-all-ive-got-to-say-about-that

1 Like

If this is real. Why have I not heard parents talk about it or students. Interesting

Like stonemasons but for English education.

3 Likes

Just be warned that pay in universities isn’t always the best. Universities are less beholden to the market, and your pay is often closer to what your Taiwanese colleagues are making.

I worked at Taitung University for three years, both in their Language Center and their English Department. The head of the English Department had a two foot high stack of resumes from hopeful foreigners he was NEVER going to read. Working in that place was all about knowing him personally, or being “known” in the area.

2 Likes

Do please explain.

1 Like

I’m willing to wager that no one is being paid 150k a month to work 4/6 hours a day. There’s probably by a lot more involved beyond those few yours. That said, there are a bunch of small, very specialized, cram schools that pay 100k and above for teachers with special skills. Their clientele is often the super rich who throw money at them just to get junior to pass whatever tests he needs to pass and into an American university.

I tried working at one but couldn’t make the grade. I’m not a good test teacher. That said, I did recently receive an offer to teach a 6 week, 40 hour course and they’re paying me 1600 an hour. I can’t figure out how they come with this number. I’m not complaining though.

4 Likes

150k a month isn’t unbelievable. I used to pull in more than that back when I worked hard, not from one employer though.

I know a guy who earns 650k a month teaching English. I know you probably don’t believe me, but it’s true.

2 Likes

Really? If he’s making 2000 per hour every single day of the month he’d have to work over 10 hours per day every day of the month.

My ass. Unless there is some deep underground of HFRB that has a secret marketing plan. It is not easy to find quality real estate near an elementary school that would pass safety codes even with upgrades. Then you have to worry about getting parents to know about your school and spend a ton on marketing (I can do that, most can’t), then how do you get enough students in the same level range to make it worth teaching a class, how do you handle picking up students from multiple schools at the same time (because they can’t come on their own and the parents are at work), I guess this secret franchise provides curriculum, but is it right for all levels, for all time frames, for summers. There’s a lot going on to run a buxiban.
Oh, and snacks. Lunch too if you’re teaching little kids.

2 Likes

I believe you, but I’m curious about the backstory for this. Because that’s like a CEO’s salary.

He owns his own school, but he’s the only teacher.

You need to open your mind. :wink:

Why don’t you just tell us what this mysterious franchise is and we’ll decide for ourselves, because some of us have been through here and seen all this and you’re giving few details. My mind is wide open. Fill it with something.

1 Like

All I’ll say is that you need to abandon your traditional way of thinking about competition and running a branch.

Well, I guess it is possible. 4 to 6 hours a day comes out to about 1250 to 1875 an hour. That’s a lot but not unheard of. You’d be hard pressed to find a school paying that unless it’s your own place or it’s one of those super snazzy places catering to the stupid rich.

So this secret franchise thing is all BS? We just need to unlock our brains and get rich? C’mon. You claim there’s a franchise out there that gives you everything, gets the building inspection done and everything for a half-mil, but no one has heard of it. Not even those of us who have been teaching and actually managed schools.

1 Like

Your understanding as stated above is all wrong. You need to rethink it all.

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

1 Like

Nah, don’t need any unwanted attention, and I’m not even in Taiwan now. I’m perfectly happy having you disbelieve the possibilities. More chances for me.

Then you need never mention it again.
Maybe this is iLearn. You’d need Qanon-level belief to buy into this.

6 Likes

If you can’t understand why I don’t go into detail, you have never owned a school. I’ll leave it at that.
Cheers.

That kind of language makes me laugh. It’s very pyramid schemesque.

4 Likes