How does one find a university teaching position in Taiwan?

It’s a really nice campus. I don’t know about the working conditions, but I’d guess they are standard.

1 Like

another job lead…National Kaohsiung University of Science and Technology has an opening. You need a Master’s degree:

https://www.most.gov.tw/folksonomy/detail/f4b0c8d8-75ef-4bf5-9269-c882bb8ba176?l=en

3 Likes

another job lead…Takming University in Taipei has an opening in their Department of Applied Foreign Languages. You need at least a Master’s degree. More information here:

https://tjn.moe.edu.tw/jobshow-detail.php?num=12897

1 Like

and one more job lead…Chaoyang University in Taichung is looking for a full-time English teacher. You will need at least a Master’s degree.

https://tjn.moe.edu.tw/jobshow-detail.php?num=12941

1 Like

here’s yet another job lead…National Chin-Yi University of Technology needs a professor (Ph.D. required) for their Department of Applied English.

Here’s another job opening…this one’s at University of Taipei . They’re looking for an English teacher with a Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) to teach speaking, pronunciation and writing courses to undergraduates:

Application for Teaching Position at Department of English Instruction[University of Taipei English Teaching Job] (Application for Teaching Position at Department of English Instruction)

3 Likes

You are doing the Lord’s work @tatterdemalion . Not sure how you’re able to find all these jobs, but it’s cool to have an updated list of uni positions in one place instead of having to visit every university’s homepage. Keep up the good work.

7 Likes

Thank you DrewC!

3 Likes

What’s the ballpark pay for these uni jobs? The ads never seem to say and scrolling through the posts it seems the consensus is that the pay is bad for the hours put in, but otherwise there isn’t much there. Is it something like the 65K per month new teachers can expect in the buxibans, or even less? The average university English teacher in Thailand probably made something like 30K ntd, so it must be higher here or everyone would be in Thailand, right?

1 Like

Hey @TT, I get about 65-68k (depending on month) NTD for my full-time contract instructor uni position (I think professors get more). That’s about 60k NTD base pay for my classes (17 teaching hours a week), and then I get extra money for committee assignments, research, and other extracurricular stuff I participate in. Yes, I make less than some of my friends who work in buxibans. There are many perks to working in a uni (hello 3 month summer holiday), but money isn’t one of them. :wink:

5 Likes

According to Michael Turton (see link below), "Base pay for instructor (MA) is $52K (Taiwan) a month. A PhD makes between 10K and 20K more. " But, as DrewC mentions, you can get more if you take on extra duties, such as research, committee assignments.

http://www.michaelturton.com/Taiwan/college_benefits.html

3 Likes

Ballpark figures: starting base salary for an instructor (I think 10 hours per week is base teaching load?) is around 60k/month, increasing by about 1K/month every year. Increases stop after about twenty years. Assistant professors start around 70k/month, associates 80k, full professors 100k. And there’s a Chinese New Year bonus of 1.5 months salary. Other duties and overtime work can increase that.

I believe there’s pretty much a national framework for the salary scale, but schools do find ways to get around this.

2 Likes

The MOE sets the pay rate for foreign guest lecturers. I’ve never been able to find out what it is. Universities are then able to add ‘extras’ to make the positions marketable. At least, I think that’s how it works.

The lowest I’ve seen was around 50k a month at a uni in Hualien. I think I’m on the upper end as I get taxed for around a million a year, but I do overtime as I teach 22 hours a week instead of the standard 16,

2 Likes

He works out in the sticks, though. No uni will attract anyone with that pay rate in an urban area.

EDIT: My mistake. I didn’t read the link. He’s in Kaohsiung.

I’d actually seen this last summer but wasn’t sure how up to date it was, looks pretty old! If you’re sharing it, though, I guess it is still reliable info!

These days getting an instructor job at an urban university - i.e with just a master’s degree - is often going to be tough.

Turton’s info is old now, but prices and salaries haven’t changed much in Taiwan. Once a decade or so the somewhat-standardized pay scale jumps by about 1,000 per month. For what it’s worth, the starting instructor salary at my school is 58k (I rounded up to 60k above), which after taxes could be around Turton’s 52k.

1 Like

Is that really the case? In Taoyuan, at least, it doesn’t seem to be too tricky - provided you know the jobs are available. Kainan University just offered two jobs and I heard they struggled to get applicants.

2 Likes

I’m probably overstating. Twelve years ago finding a job in Taipei with just a masters, and five or six years of experience in other universities, was mildly tough for me. But Taipei isn’t going to be the same as other urban areas.

1 Like

In general, the universities are awful at advertising positions. The advertisements often aren’t in English. It’s ridiculous.

An advert on forumosa would probably do the trick.

3 Likes

I was pretty shocked at how I got mine, which was only advertised in the one place. Worked out very well for me though!

Any idea who has more users in the Taiwan section, us or Facebook or Reddit? Seems to me this place would have the lower amount (though maybe the higher quality, speaking of present company of course)

1 Like