How does one find a university teaching position in Taiwan?

Two new teaching positions, both require a Ph.D.

1. National Central University, Language Center (in Chungli)
    英文專案徵聘 - 國立中央大學語言中心

2. Hungkuang University, English Department (in Taichung)
    https://tjn.moe.edu.tw/jobshow-detail.php?num=13372

1 Like

Lemme guess. You’ve been in Taiwan for a while, right? :grin:

Leaving aside the anachronisms, it’s great to have these details posted.

Guy

1 Like

Ok, I changed it to “in Chungli”.

Here’s how the university itself presents its location on their website:

Zhongli District, Taoyuan City

But seriously if someone is unable to figure out where NCU is located, perhaps that should disqualify them for the position. :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

Sorry if this is too far off topic, but just curious, is PhD a pretty standard requirement for other (non-English teaching) university teaching positions?

That seems like it would depend on the field. I know that in some cases lecturers and adjunct faculty come from industry in some fields because of the experience they bring. Recently it seems the government is trying to revise the rules so more of this industry collaboration is possible. The new bilingual colleges policy is also likely to change things and possibly open up opportunities for non-PhDs. Time will tell on that one. For full-time positions, PhD is still the ticket, but it feels like things are shifting with all the new policies so opportunities may be on the rise if you are in the right field with the right experience and, of course, know the right people.

5 Likes

Makes sense, thanks!

The Language Center at Ming Chi University (New Taipei City, Taishan) is now looking for a lecturer to begin teaching full-time in September 2021. Must have at least an M.A. More information here:

1 Like

I’m a full-time uni instructor with only a Masters. I got my job in 2016. I’ve heard that even since then it’s a bit more difficult due to the declining student enrollment rate (which is due to the birth-rate decline that began about 20 years ago). And I can’t get a professorship unless I get a PhD. However, if you look up this thread you can see @tatterdemalion has advertised many uni jobs that only require a Masters (or so they say at least).

EDIT: Doh! I didn’t see you wrote “non-English”… never mind then. But I’ll keep this post up, in case it’s useful to someone some day.

2 Likes

Da Yeh University, in the Changhua county area, is seeking a full-time lecturer for their English department. Must have at least a Master’s degree. More information here:

教育部全國大專教師人才網 (moe.edu.tw)

1 Like

National Chung Cheng University, in the Chiayi county area, is seeking a full-time professor for their Department of Foreign Languages. Must have a Ph.D. More information here:

Full-time Teaching Positions Available-National Chung Cheng University (ccu.edu.tw)

4 Likes

Next semester starts September 22nd. Long summer.

1 Like

I don’t think our school’s even announced that yet. There’s no calendar for the next school year at the usual webpage - but of course that bookmark’s already worked for a few years, so it’s past due for a random move.

The later start is due to the delayed Subjects Test exam, which was pushed back due to the Level 3 restrictions and a desire to try to vaccinate invigilators. They would not be able to determine who would be part of the incoming freshman class by early September, hence the delayed start to the Fall Semester.

Guy

3 Likes

Oh, of course. That makes sense. (Ha, another data point that once again slightly changes my odds of escaping the island this summer!)

Given the current rate of vaccine rollout, delaying the semester a couple of weeks seems sensible anyway. Vaccinations are ramping up enough that there could be a significant difference in community levels of protection between the beginning and end of September.

1 Like

As usual with the pandemic, expect more of the unexpected as things move forward.

Guy

Yup. But now I’m suddenly realizing “Damn, does this mean winter vacation is going to be shorter?!” Because most likely we’re all staying here for summer, and Chinese New Year will be the next chance for lots of us to finally head off-island and visit family and friends!

Oh bugger. Good point. FFS

1 Like

Too early to tell.

One step at a time!

Guy

1 Like

It’s difficult to see how the winter vacation won’t be shorter.