How dull is Taiwan?

Do you guys find Taiwan a boring place or what. :ohreally:

Well your post certainly isn’t helping.

Compared to what?

May you live in an interesting place.

Yippers. Ya got it.

There are no boring places, only…

I wish my life was dull, right about now.

There’s a well-known quote from some celebrity who had just returned to Taipei from living in Vancouver. When the host asked her how come she didn’t really like Vancouver, even though the mountains and the ocean are magnificent, she replied, “(溫哥華)好山好水好無聊。台灣又髒又亂又好玩!”

Which basically translates to “(Vancouver)Great mountains, great ocean, great boring.Taiwan is at once dirty, at once disorganized, at once fun!”

And, I’ve met a lot of people from all over the world who tend to agree with what this person has said. I’ve got a theory, however.

Calm = boring, right?
Danger = excitement/fun, right?

Thus, cities that are neat and orderly, safe, relaxing… tend to get that “boring” label. Cities that are dirty, disorganized, noisy, smelly… tend to get the “fun” label.

So, as you can see, big cities in Taiwan aren’t more fun than other cities. They just keep your heart-rate up, which fools you into thinking it’s a fun place to be living. With lights all over the place, cars/scooters about to run you over, noise every which-way, uneven or non-existent pedestrian paths, etc., it’s an action movie every day of your life. The noise is especially one of the big factors, as scientific studies have shown that noisy environments elevate heart rate, and we all know that “fun” also causes elevated heart rate.

I had an amazing moment earlier today at the corner of Dunhua and Xinyi here in Taipei. I was riding my bike, waiting at the intersection to cross Xinyi Road. A couple was standing about eight or ten feet away, and I could hear every word they said as they chatted calmly. What an amazing experience to have this level of silence without scooters and other vehicles roaring by! Granted, Dunhua is usually pretty quiet on a Sunday afternoon. But the calmness of Taipei during the new year break is a welcome treat.

And no, Taiwan is not “boring.”

Guy

Great answers guys !!

Taiwan is interesting before you get used to it. Night markets, scooter madness, steep green hills, cool looking temples everywhere, everyone has funny looking eyes. But after a while a person can get used to it all, and the things that once seemed charming can somehow become mostly obnoxious. Now it’s just noisy, polluted, and crowded. Taiwan doesn’t offer world class entertainment or cuisine; however, if you have the money and means to go where you want, do what you want, eat what you want, do who you want, Taiwan can still be cool as shit. In other words, you need to have some mojo going for you, psychologically if not professionally. If you’re living out of a cage or a crap box eating overcooked noodles and lunch boxes living like a broke-ass local not going out much and needing to be careful with money, then all I can say is…life must suck pretty bad, and Taiwan is dull

[quote=“afterspivak”]I had an amazing moment earlier today at the corner of Dunhua and Xinyi here in Taipei. I was riding my bike, waiting at the intersection to cross Xinyi Road. A couple was standing about eight or ten feet away, and I could hear every word they said as they chatted calmly. What an amazing experience to have this level of silence without scooters and other vehicles roaring by! Granted, Dunhua is usually pretty quiet on a Sunday afternoon. But the calmness of Taipei during the new year break is a welcome treat.

And no, Taiwan is not “boring.”

Guy[/quote]

What you experienced is “stool relief”. You see, dropping a huge stool into the toilet is not pleasurable, it’s just that you feel a huge relief from having it stuck in your butt all day… noise in Taiwanese cities is like that stool stuck in your butt.

Taiwan isn’t boring per se, but it’s no more fun than any other city in the world.

Just curious about what you said here, because I still have no idea of the real cost of life there :
How much is, on your opinion, to “have the money to do what you want in Taipei” ?
Until how much are you “broke” ?

Sometime poster on forumosa who i hang out with every now and then , spent bout 8 months in Taiwan teaching english last year. Barely made ends meet, ended up doing virtually nothing fun. Went round the island during CNY (no worst time to do that actually) and it wasnt fun.

So to him, Taiwan was boring as shit.

Its all bout perspective and your own personal experience and your means dictating your end.

If you like shit on a stick Taiwan is never dull.
If you like scooters and noise Taiwan is never dull.
If you like hot women Taipei may not be dull.
If you like sports other than basketball or baseball Taiwan may be very dull.
If you like the art of conversation and the art of drinking pints Taiwan may be very dull indeed.

Just curious about what you said here, because I still have no idea of the real cost of life there :
How much is, on your opinion, to “have the money to do what you want in Taipei” ?
Until how much are you “broke” ?[/quote]

It’s all relative. The part of Taipei city or county you choose to live in matters. What you can tolerate or enjoy eating matters. Do you mind living in a 5 or 6 ping box? Do you really want to be able to make food at home at least sometimes? Do you like to go out drinking often? Do you have a trophy girlfriend that loves to shop and expects you to put out if you expect her to put out? The list goes on and on. If you don’t mind living in a small room eating lunch boxes then good for you, life is both cheap and grand. If you want to live in a hip part of town, have a decent, comfortable apartment, dress to the 9s, go out to party and have fun, and eat at “good” restaurants often then congratulations, it’s easier to live like you have money here than most other major, ‘post-industrial’ cities. But if you want to pull off the latter I hope you have something better going for you than the average English teaching wages nowadays

It’s dawning on me that my life in Taiwan may not be regular for a foreigner… I regularly have great, heartfelt, and deep discussions with my friends, although I leave the pints out as I’m not much of a drinker. The key to a place being boring or unboring is your attitude and what your friends are like. I’ve moved to Taoyuan County after years in Taipei, and it’s much duller and slower here, but I’m never bored.

Only boring people are bored.

If you spend your entire day posting on Forumosa, then Taiwan is quite boring!

Taiwan is like your first Taiwanese girlfriend. All the commotion and strange ways and late night sex are fun at first. Her tantrums and acting like a child are a little exciting. Who wants a girlfirend to act grown up anyways? However after a few months and you realize that all you ever do with her is go to night markets and have sex, the lust wears off.

[quote=“louisfriend”]
It’s all relative. The part of Taipei city or county you choose to live in matters. What you can tolerate or enjoy eating matters. Do you mind living in a 5 or 6 ping box? Do you really want to be able to make food at home at least sometimes? Do you like to go out drinking often? Do you have a trophy girlfriend that loves to shop and expects you to put out if you expect her to put out? The list goes on and on. If you don’t mind living in a small room eating lunch boxes then good for you, life is both cheap and grand. If you want to live in a hip part of town, have a decent, comfortable apartment, dress to the 9s, go out to party and have fun, and eat at “good” restaurants often then congratulations, it’s easier to live like you have money here than most other major, ‘post-industrial’ cities. But if you want to pull off the latter I hope you have something better going for you than the average English teaching wages nowadays[/quote]

And to make guess-timates, how much would that be for both scenarios ?

I have to say guys, you make it sound like living in Taiwan is really not that great :slight_smile:
(i’m not living in taiwan as you can guess)