How flexible is a marriage-based ARC?

I gather from browsing the boards that, being a foreigner married to an ROC national, I am elible for an ARC along with an open work permit should we decide to return to Taiwan. (We’re both currently in the US). Am I right so far?

If so, would it be possible for me to apply for and get an ARC, but then move on to work in (say) mainland China, returning to Taiwan only once in a while. It would be nice to have Taiwan as a surrogate “home country” while I’m working elsewhere in the region.

Or am I pushing my luck?

Thanks,

Sam Vimes

[quote=“Sam Vimes”]I gather from browsing the boards that, being a foreigner married to an ROC national, I am elible for an ARC along with an open work permit should we decide to return to Taiwan. (We’re both currently in the US). Am I right so far?

If so, would it be possible for me to apply for and get an ARC, but then move on to work in (say) mainland China, returning to Taiwan only once in a while. It would be nice to have Taiwan as a surrogate “home country” while I’m working elsewhere in the region.

Or am I pushing my luck?

Thanks,

Sam Vimes[/quote]

If you’re married to a ROC National, you could get your ARC based on a JFRV which entitles you to work stay in ROC without restrictions. You are then free to come and go as you please.

You could check with your local US TECO office to confirm how that works.

I think you’ll need to make sure your wife still has household registration in Taiwan in order for your name to be added to it, which you’ll need for a JFRV. Other than that, you’re home free AFAIK.

Well call me Mr. Lucky.

I remember my first Taiwan visa–five year multiple entry, 60 days at a time . . . and I received it by mail from Houston. Boy, my hostel mates resented that.

(Thanks for the fast replies!)

Can you get a marriage based ARC if the taiwanese citizen still lives in your home country??

If his name (and yours) are still on his Taiwan household registration (hukou), you should be OK.

Why don’t we have a MR. Burns emoticon?