How has Forumosa affected your life?

Original Title: How has forumosa impacted on your life?

I’ve spent many hours at forumosa, and for a while I was thinking that I as just wasting my time, but I’ve been thinking of the way I’ve gained from being a member:

1. I’ve learnt computer skills.
  2. I’ve discovered two important things about my health as an (very) indirect result of logging in.
  3. I’ve been able to find out important info from other members.
  4. I’ve been able to see things from different points of view.

Thanks to all of you.

When I first started posting I was pretty damn sure I was right about most things. I soon found that I was right about some things and was going to get called out on others so I better get my facts right or present my opinions as just that.

The friends network is great.

Information gathering is a big help. Just today the one on getting the crap bashed out of you as a random event has made me think again about some of my current driving antics.

My spelling and grammar is heaps better believe it or not.

That, it is. :slight_smile:

I love my friends back home, but here, I get to hang out with lawyers, engineers, businessmen and women, musicians, teachers, artists, photographers, scuba divers, motorbike riders, and folk from literally every corner of this rock.

I’m sure if you all left, I would too. :rainbow:

Yes, one of the best parts of Forumosa is the people you meet offline. I’ve been helped on several ocassions by people who post here. They know who they are. I hope they know that I am deeply grateful.

There is also a wealth of information available here, if you’ve got good filtering skills.

Every once in a while, a post on Forumosa makes me rethink something I thought I was sure about.

I have always known that I was always right and debates on forumosa always reaffirm that notion. Thanks.

It led me to my dog Sambuka.

I didn’t discover Formosa until about a few years in Taiwan. I occasionally viewed the site to learn about legal stuff and the Teaching in Taiwan forum to pick up tid bits of info that might be useful in the classroom.
I have since added Formosa to my moning ritual;coffee,check my hockey pools,check the sports scores and Forumosa.

I have learned a lot and have had many a hard laughs sifting through the various forums.I am looking forward to getting my anti-social ass down to Smooths on Wed and meeting a few Formosans.

Although at times the negative aspects of Taiwanese living can weigh it down, Forumosa has been a great place for insight, foresight & hindsight with just about everything Taiwanese.

It has been a good source of laughs and a good source of interesting and entertaining stories.

It has been a very useful tool for finding information for my needs prior to arriving in Taiwan. Without it, so far, I am pretty sure I would be having a few extra-frustrated moments of

What forumosa has done for me (the short list):

• helped me find my lovely apartment which has probably one of the best views one can get from XinYi Rd. without paying an arm and a leg

• introduced me to a lot of wonderful people including the really cute Taiwanese guy I dated for a little while before he left for a better land :wink:

• introduced me to mozilla firefox (via miltownkid), celestia, orisinal.com, and a plethora of other great websites and programs

• inspired me to check out the Ubud Sari Health Resort which in turn inspired two trips to Bali including the one where I learned to surf (so in other words, I learned how to surf through forumosa!)

• given me an opportunity to share my ideas on all sorts of subjects and learn from others

• given me perspective about my experience here on ihla formosa…or at least a place to bitch about it

• provided a model of what an online community should be like

A Random list of things off the top of my brain.

Introduced me to Linux
Game Club Started
Found 3 jobs
Got me in 5 commercials and a TV show
Found out about supermemo ( supermemo.com )
Got me into Jujitsu (which I LOVES)
Ended up renting an apartment from a Taiwan Soap star guy

[quote=“miltownkid”]A Random list of things off the top of my brain.

Introduced me to Linux
Game Club Started
Found 3 jobs
Ended up renting an apartment from a Taiwan Soap star guy[/quote]
So the top of your brain must be a very lonely place, eh? Where are all the people in your list, you selfish, ungrateful bastard!

OK. When I say “people” you know I just mean “me” :blush:

Gus, Maoman (yes, even Maoman),TigerMan, Hexuan, Sandman, Ironman, Truant, 914, Miltownkid, bob, Fuzzy, Lupillus, Mr He, Wolf ReinHold, HakkaSonic, BuLaiEn, and many others have made living in Taiwan an interesting and enjoyable experience.

Others, have not. Others, have actually made me regret ever coming to f.com.

This place can be alot of things.

The key is to not take it seriously nor try to promote anything new and innovative.

[quote=“tash”]OK. When I say “people” you know I just mean “me” :blush:[/quote]I met Bobepine :notworthy:

[quote=“tash”][quote=“miltownkid”]A Random list of things off the top of my brain.

Introduced me to Linux
Game Club Started
Found 3 jobs
Ended up renting an apartment from a Taiwan Soap star guy[/quote]
So the top of your brain must be a very lonely place, eh? Where are all the people in your list, you selfish, ungrateful bastard!

OK. When I say “people” you know I just mean “me” :blush:[/quote]
You obviously haven’t seen my site. :wink:

Lets see… people people people

Tash, ImaniIOU, Rascal, Iris, Mechele, Maoman, Gus, Blueface666, Tigerdude, Tetsuo, Jefferson, Frost, Ax, Alleycat, Mark, Hobbes, 914, Erhu, ironlady (though never met in real life), Mucha Man, Bu Lai En, Mr. He, merge, Big Fluffy Mathew, Yellow Cartman, The Taverncaptain, jdsmith, Two Navels, Bogger Digger, Highway Star, Fox, Feiren, Namahottie, twocs, MONSTER, Josefus, God
and a whole bunch of other mofos that memory didn’t serve just now
(I didn’t go streaming through a list of names, random from the top of me head)

These are all people that have effected things one way or another for me.

I dunno how any foreigner in Taiwan can get by without Forumosa.com! Though I don’t post much, I do surf the boards daily and have found a lot of useful (as well as useless :laughing: ) info!

I’ve also met a grand total of TWO 'mosans!
One only because I work with a Groot Krokodil!
Another because I lurv his Bar, Azul’s. Big up Wookiee!

I find that Forumosans are pretty clicky…
Case in point: most of the [color=red]South Africans [/color]on this board (some of whom are regulars) don’t even participate in my [color=red]TaiwanSaffies.com [/color]online community! Maybe as Old Gobbo says I’m trying too hard to [quote]“promote anything new and innovative.” [/quote]

Aw well… maybe the HH at Azul’s remedy this.

Several reasons…
Helped me gain valuable input as to improving ‘that place’ I once ran.

It has opened my mind on several issues I was otherewise firm on.

I’ve learned that some people are different in real life than their F.com ID

Have made a great network of friends that are fun and excellent company…wow. Getting all soft and gooey now. I think I will break out the chocolate, kleenex and Celine Dion CDs.

It’s the first time I’ve heard of your site. I was thinking of starting a blog for us, but when I googled to see if there wasn’t one already, I found at least two (excluding Reinerd Visser’s one) that only had a couple of visitors. So, I forgot about it. I think the only way a permanent, vibrant South African site catering for the needs of all SA expats can be established, is for those who have already started sites and blogs to amalgamate.

Edit: 4/6 Hi TaiwanSaffies, I’ve just reread my post. I meant to congratulate you on starting a site of your own. I did not intend to diss your site at all though it could have come across that way. Jayo!

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … tnG=Search

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … tnG=Search

If you find any spelling errors, I blame it on Verwoerd!

[quote=“TaiwanSaffies”]I dunno how any foreigner in Taiwan can get by without Forumosa.com! Though I don’t post much, I do surf the boards daily and have found a lot of useful (as well as useless :laughing: ) info!

I’ve also met a grand total of TWO 'mosans!
One only because I work with a Groot Krokodil!
Another because I lurv his Bar, Azul’s. Big up Wookiee!

I find that Forumosans are pretty clicky…
Case in point: most of the [color=red]South Africans [/color]on this board (some of whom are regulars) don’t even participate in my [color=red]TaiwanSaffies.com [/color]online community! Maybe as Old Gobbo says I’m trying too hard to [quote]“promote anything new and innovative.” [/quote]

Aw well… maybe the HH at Azul’s remedy this.[/quote]

I’ve joined.

Kept me from bloody well getting deported during the attack by Tiara Girl and Co. in 2002. :smiley: