How healthy is Taiwanese produce?

“My worry is there are no studies on the long term impact of this method on health, as it alters food in some unknown ways. It’s like GM, that there is no proof it’s harmful doesn’t mean it’s harmless.”

This applies to anything, and is quite frankly, silly.

Oh, BTW, all domesticated pants are GM, and has been long before humans learned to direct the NATURAL process of gene transfer between species.

GM means genetically modified. Genetically modified means taking one or two genes (coding for one or two proteins) and sticking them into another plant. That’s it. Add a couple of naturally occuring proteins that don’t cause harm to anybody unless you had some weird allergy.
Even nuts have proven to be a killer…GM food has NEVER been implicated in any health concerns.

Learn the difference between proteins and organic chemicals such as are used in pesticides. Basic science that should be taught to every schoolchild…then comment.

headhoncho:

I am in 100% agreement, I am sorry if my comment was confusing. If your comment wasn’t directed at me, ignore.

Oh, BTW to all the pesticide paranoia, plants created their own pesticides, that are every bit as carcinogenic as the stuff we spray on plants, in the amounts ingested. I wonder how long it will be before “organic” seed stocks evolve higher levels to compensate for the lack of human pest control. Remember, mother nature doesn’t give 2 s**** about the half life of natural pesticides, unlike chemists who try their best to minimize the danger to humans. And natural pesticides can’t be washed off.

If you are really scared of eating evil “chemicals” stay away from charred meat, that stuff way worse than pesticides, natural or artificial. Coffee also. Nuts too if you see even a hint of green, especially if you have liver problems. Or just understand cancer is inevitable given the relentless exposure to natural toxins and radiation, it is just a matter of time.

It was directed at people who question GM food but don’t actually understand the basic science behind it, not at you! They feel ‘queasy’ as it’s ‘messing with nature’, not understanding that the vegetables and grains we eat are almost all results of heavy genetic selection.

Proven worries are things like alfatoxin in the skin of sweet potatoes and from fungus that grows on peanuts, trashes your liver.

Also pesticides are a problem, especially in Taiwan where they tended to get applied too liberally. I don’t think you can just wash off the pesticides, they are absorbed into the plant itself. I think the situation is improving but certainly organic would be a good option if you have the cash.

I would suggest everyone read the new Amcham white paper as it addresses the new and growing problem of illegal pesticides smuggled in from China. None of these materials are tested so there is no way of knwoing what shit is being put on your food.

If Amcham, who are fully in support of building more petrochemical factories are worried about this then I would say it is a pretty serious matter and just one more argument for going organic.

There is a really wide range of pesticides in use, and we are usually only learning about their long-term effects after reports start appearing of abnormal health in areas where they are used. Unfortunately, ground water remains contaminated for many years after the substances are banned.

It is true that it’s virtually impossible to avoid pesticides as well as toxins and heavy metals since Taiwan is a small and heavily industrialized country. But I believe it’s worth trying whatever you can do stay away from pesticides, not only for your own family’s long-term health, but for the health of the farmers who spray these pesticides, and the soil that is being contaminated.

The thing about pesticides in Taiwan is that as a developing country it is often behind more developed countries when it comes to banning pesticides.

I know DBCP (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,2-Dibrom … oropropane) were used on pineapples in Taiwan before. Not sure if it’s still used in Taiwan today. It was banned from USA in 1979.

Then there are newer pesticides like endosulfan, which will soon be banned in the US, but are still allowed in Taiwan, although under some restrictions.
environmentalhealthnews.org/ … sulfan-ban

By the way… here’s a link to the whitepaper that Mucha Man referred to shows that illegal pesticides are being used in Taiwan.
amcham.com.tw/component/opti … temid,377/

Is there any chance that the produce I am buying at the big local markets are imported from China? I thought for sure this was all local produce but someone told me they think a lot of it is shipped over. I’m even more skeptical of produce from there than produce from here : P

Unfortunately it is possible that some of it comes in from China, there has been increasing trade between Taiwan and China and large scale smuggling and relabelling and repackaging does occur. (I know it is going on big time for clothes for instance). Due to ECFA this problem will probably increase.
If you are really worried about it you’d be best to buy direct from organic grower groups or buy from countrysidea areas.