How high is job demand, really?

Hi everyone.

I was just looking at tealit and I noticed that for today, 3/24, there were fourteen postings for available teachers, yet only 6 postings looking for English teachers.

How is the job outlook, and how does it look over the next several months? I plan to arrive in September or maybe October. I keep reading that I should just arrange some interviews while I’m in the US and then come over without anything formally set up, but then I read stuff like this on tealit and hear things on Forumosa about how the advertised positions in the Taipei Times (or whatever that paper is) are getting more and more responses. (Yes, I plan on going to Taipei.)

Am I just overreacting, or is the “teacher’s market” waning?

Relax Sandbar. There are ups and downs but always a demand for teachers. You have shown yourself to be polite and your English is much better than the average applicant’s. The fact that you are checking things out here so far ahead of your planned arrival bodes well.

If you are white, friendly, have a good attitude and aren’t too ugly, you will be able to find work. Being an American is icing on the cake.

Yeah, you can actually write decent English!!! Frankly, 95% of the newbies on this site looking for English teaching jobs can’t write proper English worth a tinker’s damn, judging by their posts. So that automatically puts you at the head of the pack. Don’t worry.

As the hiring season dictates, October maybe a little late.
I feel that there is a lack of jobs at the moment, morning kindergarden in particular.

Southpaw wrote

This is true. Things tend to operate around school semesters, and because students go back to school in early September, it is much better to arrive here before the semester starts, i.e. in August.

Thanks, guys. That’s reassuring (and it sounds like some of you have absorbed the Taiwan cultural ideal of flattery) :slight_smile:

And as for the timing, would arriving August 20 be reasonable? How late can I push it?

Thanks,
sandbar

[quote=“sandbar”]

And as for the timing, would arriving August 20 be reasonable? [/quote]

Only if you are bringing me a birthday present that day… :laughing:

Seriously, though, I would say the beginning of August would be better. I got here on the 24th and my school had been opened for a week by the time I got here (and I had gotten the job with them weeks before arriving). The schools need to know how many teachers they have so they can plan their classes and divide up the enrolled students accordingly. The end of July/beginning of August would be a better time than waiting until the end of August or later when schools have already started. If for nothing else, if you come before the usual flux of teachers, you’ll have more seniority when the hours start picking up. Hope this helps.

I second Imanou’s advice. The school semesters are loosely based around the Lunar calendar and, since Chinese New Year fell quite early this year, the fall semester is set to start in the first week of August. Most places will be looking for staff well before that.

Good luck,
CK

Thanks, Imani and CK. I don’t know if I’ll be able to come that early, since I have to save up money (I keep reading that you should have US$1500-$2k before you come over). Are schools reluctant to start people in early September, or are there just “slimmer pickins”?

I also have a random question, if anyone knows: What’s the cheapest you can get a decent laptop for in Taiwan? I might get one in the US, but if I can get one (with Win XP in English!) over there it might be more convenient.

sandbar

Get it here! It’s a lot cheaper. I’m sure it won’t be too difficult to get a copy of an English version of Win XP. :wink:

Hello

Just to let you know that the demand for teachers is not what it is made out to be. There is a surplus of English teahers.I arrived here 7 weeks ago (Taichung) city, worked with an agency. I have not found work. I get the odd substitue job but no full time positions. I have tried all I can think of. Applied for 42 postions independently and heard back from 3. The schools just don’t reply to you. It seems that the agency’s have it all sown up.

I am not an American and am 41 years old. This certainly goes against me.

bad timing. That’s all. Most schools have all the teachers they need. Come August all sorts of jobs will be opening up. Everyone who is going is actually going.

Ski

Get your laptop in the States. It’ll be cheaper and you can get an English system, which can be a problem here.

Sandbar wrote:

And you are asking about buying a computer before you come here??
The above quote answers your question about the notebook.

Very simple! Buy it here. Locally made computers are cheap, computer stores give you lots of free software :smiley: , and you will have after-sales service.

If money is tight during the first couple of months, then things here can be rather stressful. There are plenty of cheap internet cafes where you can get online or do some work in Word or whatever. Getting by without your own computer for a few months is no hardship.

Don’t tie up your limited funds in a computer.

John.

[quote=“almas john”]

And you are asking about buying a computer before you come here??
The above quote answers your question about the notebook.[/quote]

You’re right. The only reason I wanted to get a computer while I’m in the US is because my brother works at Dell, so I get a discount. But it makes more sense to wait.

Now I just have to figure out when to come to Taiwan… Ugh!

Also,

My mommy is worried that big bad China is going to come bomb me when I arrive. What should I tell her?

sandbar

[quote=“sandbar”]Also,

My mommy is worried that big bad China is going to come bomb me when I arrive. What should I tell her?

sandbar[/quote]

Tell her the smart-bombs only target the DPP and its supporters.

[quote=“sandbar”]Also,

sandbar[/quote]

We’ll be well and truly bombed before that.

Well that’s reassuring. :s

Thanks for the help, guys.