How is it physically possible to drive so slow?

I own a few bikes. One of which is a 20 year old 50cc scooter with a burnt out engine. So if a normal 50cc has 6hp mine probably has like 3hp.

So by definition it’s probably one the slowest legal road vehicles in the world.

But when the light turns green I find myself pulling away from the pack…quickly!?! Two blocks later I look back to see most people a block behind.

Are they even applying their throttles or what?!? And if they are…how could they NOT be passing me?? Seriously if I were riding a normal 125cc scooter…I would find it physically difficult to NOT pass my 50cc with it’s burnt out engine. I’d probably have to roll on and off the throttle since any degree of acceleration and I’d pass it.

Why learn how to ride when you can just move at a walking pace and jump off before each crash? <----I’m guessing this or some other idiotic thing is their theory.

i have similar experience with my car and some drivers…i expact some would even roll back if you drive upwards…
but on the otherside i also had guys overtaking me when i was standig on the red light, waiting on the right lane to turn right and they just came with nice speed not even considering to stop and went from the 2nd lane to the right…
so, be prepared and expact everything can happen on the streets here…

I’m particularly keen on the guys who drive at 3mph, but run all the red lights (also at 3mph). The result being that they get places much more slowly than everyone driving legally, but with a hundred times greater risk of sudden death.

My conclusion is that a lot of people don’t realise they are on a road with other traffic - a small vulnerable part of a larger system.

What has me really mystified is when I’m on my bicycle and I get behind someone going so slowly that I can’t keep my balance!

They are too busy unwrapping some binlang, getting out a fag, noshing on the lunchbox, sucking on the cold tea, changing a diaper, changing radio station, looking at the map, arguing with spouse, chasing dog around in car, lining up all the shopping bags or getting oral relief from GF to notice that they are going sooooooo slowly.

Mmm…oral relief.

Ahh but they don’t need to peddle, so they drag their feet at the sides to act as stabilizers… AND BRAKES… :loco:

When I met my wife she used to ride her scooter slowly… i borrowed it one day and nearly killed myself… no brakes whatsoever… she explained this was the reason for driving slowly !! :notworthy:

I can see one thing in that list that would make it worth going slow.

I love binlang too!

When I got my scooter license, driving slowly was part of the test. Those who went above a crawl or put their feet down flunked. :s

OTOH, I’d much rather have the slow drivers than the kamikaze speed demons.

I’m breaking in my new bike, so I have an excuse to go slow. I need to put a sign-up to let all those idiots trying to drag race me at the lights to let them know. Can’t wait to I reach 1000Km, then watch out. But Mordeth’s got a point, some guys are just freakin turtles. I think riders here are at both extremes, with very few falling into the middle. They are either reckless street racers or grandpa Sunday driver types.

Taiwan is like that in so many ways. Everything is either black or white with no shades of gray. Men here are either hard working family loving nerds…or gangster drug addict pimps. Slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

What’s wrong with going slow, anyway? The first chicken to stick his head out gets the chopping block. I’ve seen several people get T-boned at green lights just because they couldn’t bother to wait and see who was running the opposite red. CRASH!

That said, there are a few people out there who drive insensibly slow, almost slow enough to lose balance, and risk < and get > getting rear ended from dickheads running 70 or 80.

The speed limit is 50 in most places, right?

what’s your hurry?

Almost 2 years accident free me… :smiley:

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]What’s wrong with going slow, anyway? The first chicken to stick his head out gets the chopping block. I’ve seen several people get T-boned at green lights just because they couldn’t bother to wait and see who was running the opposite red. CRASH!

That said, there are a few people out there who drive insensibly slow, almost slow enough to lose balance, and risk < and get > getting rear ended from dickheads running 70 or 80.

The speed limit is 50 in most places, right?

what’s your hurry?

Almost 2 years accident free me… :smiley:[/quote]

Well, we’ve been over this before. For one thing it would be illegal to go so slow in a real country like America, Canada… . For another thing it’s a hazard to all other people on the road. You’re riding along in the right lane… the car in front of you is going slow…you change lanes to pass and find that the guy in the passing lane is going much much slower…etc.

But then again I’m one of those dickheads who pretty much never goes below 70. :s