How lightsabers work

Ha.

From time to time, when I’m bored at work, I swing by http://www.howstuffworks.com.
It can actually be very interesting and educational stuff.

I stumbled across this article on how lightsabers work today. Good for a giggle. Enjoy.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber.htm

I think this is fantasmic, irishstu. I’ve always wondered how light sabers work. Will bookmark to read later.

Once again, thank you for such wonderful information. I will not move this to the Technology Forum.

I always thought that only a Jedi could use a light sabre. Don’t you need the force to operate it or something? How come nobody else uses one?

Thanks, Ms Hstu.
Do you have any information about how to make your broom fly? :slight_smile:

It’s “Mr Stu” ahem

Doesn’t Han Solo use one on Hoth to cut that tauntaun open?

Ms Iris Hstu.

Mr Irish Stu :wink:

A common misconception. Anyone can use a light saber, but it is exceedingly difficult for an unaugmented being to use it at the level of a jedi master. Furthermore, some lightsabers have Force activated switches, making anyone not familiar with the weapon and without Force powers unable to turn it on or off.

I’ve said too much already.

Anyone can use one - you just flip a switch. Jedi and Sith use them far better because they do it with the help of the Force. Non-Force-users Han Solo and General Grievous both used them. And don’t forget Luke, when he first touched his father’s lightsaber, could turn it on and wave it around despite not having even had one Force-using lesson.

I see. Now I need to figure out the Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Fool! The Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator’s a piece of cake. You should try figuring out the Q42 without the manual. Make sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy.

You don’t need the force to turn it on (as Liam Neeson says ‘there’s a swith on the side, stupid!’) but you need the force to USE it properly - if you try to use it without the force youll just slice your hand off or something

Han Solo used it to open the thingy, but he’s just using it like a knife, not trying to fight Darth Maul

As I already stated, SOME lightsabers have force activated switches.

Isn’t The Force really an infection from a single cell organism inside a human host.

Sort of like STD’s.

[quote=“irishstu”]Ha.

From time to time, when I’m bored at work, I swing by http://www.howstuffworks.com.
It can actually be very interesting and educational stuff.

I stumbled across this article on how lightsabers work today. Good for a giggle. Enjoy.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber.htm[/quote]

Have you ever seen the movie “Skin Deep” with the late John Ritter.
:smiling_imp: There was a scene that clearly illustrated how “lightsabers” work.

Nope. Haven’t seen that movie. Worth watching?

go to this thread starwars.com/databank/techno … index.html

u dont need the force to use the lightsaber, but u do need skill, there is only weight in the handle bars.

The blade’s color depends on the nature of the jewel it springs from, and while its length is fixed in the case of a single-jewel lightsaber, lightsabers equipped with multiple crystals can have their length varied by rotating a knob that allows the focusing crystal activator to subtly modify the refraction pattern between the gems.

Once unleashed, the power channels through a positively charged continuous energy lens at the center of the handle. The beam then arcs circumferentially back to a negatively charged high energy flux aperture. A superconductor transfers the power from the flux aperture to the power cell. As a result, a lightsaber only expends power when its blade cuts through something. So efficient is the blade, that it does not radiate heat unless it comes into contact with something.

If you have a flux capacitor, you can go back to the future.

Does that mean you can push a button, and make the blade extend twice as long? It seems like we’d see that move more in the fight scenes if they could do that.

Or can they produce multiple blades? (I know, the devil guy had one in Phantom Menace.) If energy is plentiful, why can’t they shoot little blips too while they’re at it? Or come up with a shield for blocking?

If the blade is as deadly as the point (since we’ve seen lots of severed limbs), then why does the saber have to be in a straight line? Think of eight lightsabre blades that curl around like octopus tentacles, maybe.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Does that mean you can push a button, and make the blade extend twice as long? It seems like we’d see that move more in the fight scenes if they could do that.

Or can they produce multiple blades? (I know, the devil guy had one in Phantom Menace.) If energy is plentiful, why can’t they shoot little blips too while they’re at it? Or come up with a shield for blocking?

If the blade is as deadly as the point (since we’ve seen lots of severed limbs), then why does the saber have to be in a straight line? Think of eight lightsabre blades that curl around like octopus tentacles, maybe.[/quote]

Exar Kun (god, why do I know this?), a powerful Sith Lord from the Golden Age of the Sith, had a weapon similar to Darth Maul’s. However, he could vary blade length AND intensity to befuddle and overextend his foes. Sometimes, his blade would be nothing but a weak light which enemies would cut through only to not be able to recover fast enough before being cleaved.

Brutal.