How long after quitting can one stay in TW before leaving?

If somebody quit a job, got fired, laid off etc, how long could they stay in Taiwan before they would have to do a visa run, leave the country or get another job? (Assuming they were on an ARC work visa, teaching english)

Could they just do a quick visa run afterwords, good for what is it, 60 days? (assuming canadian or american)

I did a search and only found some answers from 2001 and 2002. It said that things were kinda vague at the time, don’t know if that’s changed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I looked around and couldn’t find any recent answers.

As far as I know, you will have to get out of town ASAP. When you quit, it immediately makes your visa null and void. To do a visa run and get a tourist visa doesn’t really work well, money wise. You’ll have to leave the country again to get a working visa. Best bet is to find another job and have that visa transferred over. Re do your search, this topic has been talked to death, each year. So there are ones that are more recent.

I would suggest popping into NIA and ask them this question as they would be the people responsible for letting you have more time.

Indeed. And I think they can extend it for a few days. AFAIK you have 7-10 days after you lose your job/quit etc… But don’t hold me to it. I was in that position in 2004, so… :idunno:

I was more recently in this position myself, just in november 09’. I was given 7 days after leaving my job to start the paperwork process with another employer. At no point did I have to leave the country for a visa run, nor did I even have possession of my ARC for a good few weeks in the down time. Yeah, apparently this was all ok.

Also should be mentioned that I originally entered Taiwan in '09 on a 30 day landing visa, which was changed into a work visa without my need to leave the country. I’ve read a lot of folks preach that a run is neccessary, perhaps either this regulation has changed, or I somehow skirted through unnoticed.

[quote=“Captain Coconut”]If somebody quit a job, got fired, laid off etc, how long could they stay in Taiwan before they would have to do a visa run, leave the country or get another job? (Assuming they were on an ARC work visa, teaching english)

Could they just do a quick visa run afterwords, good for what is it, 60 days? (assuming Canadian or american)

I did a search and only found some answers from 2001 and 2002. It said that things were kinda vague at the time, don’t know if that’s changed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I looked around and couldn’t find any recent answers.[/quote]

One more time:

The date you must leave depends on the date your work visa was cancelled, and this means that it depends on when your boss/company sent the paperwork to NIA/CLA etc. saying you are no longer under their employment. Standard is one or two weeks after they cancel your work permit.

[color=#FF0000]They are in no obligation to inform you of when that date is [/color]-and by they I mean your boss, NIA, CLA. If you go and ask NIA, they will give you the exact date, but they -NIA< CLA, whoever else- will [color=#FF0000]NOT[/color] inform you out of their own accord. So, [color=#FF0000]you have to find out on your own.[/color] This also comes handy if you need an extension to settle your affairs.

Now, and here comes the tricky part: the date you have printed on your ARC is just a reference. It becomes invalid the minute it is not backed up by a work permit. It does not mean you can stay until the date printed there.

You would need to get out, and come back as a visitor, then look for another job -unless you have anotehr job offer, in which case that’s another whole different deal.

I’m thinking of leaving for good.

So if I quit, I’d only have a week or two to leave the country? Ouch.

Even leaving, coming back for a month or two, then leaving again permanently would suck financially.

Thanks a bunch! I’ll try and contact the NIA or CLA.

[quote=“StitchInTime”]
Also should be mentioned that I originally entered Taiwan in '09 on a 30 day landing visa, which was changed into a work visa without my need to leave the country. I’ve read a lot of folks preach that a run is neccessary, perhaps either this regulation has changed, or I somehow skirted through unnoticed.[/quote]

Same thing for me. Came here on a 30 day landing visa about 2 months ago. Got my work permit approved literally 7 days before I had to fly out again. Lady from immigration that processed my paperwork told me it was perfectly fine to convert landing visa to visitor/resident visa without leaving. She mentioned that this new policy just started last year.

Took 4 business days to obtain my visitor visa, and immediately after picking it up applied for my ARC. Apparently it is no longer necessary to get a resident visa.

I remember reading 5 days after uve quit.