How long are you here for?

Well, I get sick of people who say that including teaching in Taiwan on one’s resume is a surefire way to be turned down for many jobs. Wei shenme?

-Living in a foreign country, especially one where English is not the lingua franca is a major achievement.

-Living in a non-Western country is a major achievement.

-The interpersonal skills required to teach are a major asset.

-The organizational skills and creativity and patience to teach a foreign language are major assets.

It strikes me that people who say that teaching in Taiwan is a deal-breaker in your future careers probably have no idea what careers they are going for or probably aren’t qualified for jobs that actually require a well-written resume. People who treat teaching here as an embarrassment, a waste of time, and/or as merely a means to get enough money to show off back home really piss me off.

Interesting stuff. I was just interested as I never have taught whilst in Taiwan and was wondering how those who do, ‘plan’ a return to their ‘home’ country. Obviously there are some very driven people on this board… and that is a great thing. Good luck to you all.

I was going to stay here for a year or more, but I might end up leaving sooner than that. Well, mostly because of work…

I like Taiwan, the food, the relatives I have here, but I don’t like the HOT weather, the rudeness of some ppl and the dirtyness…yikes

• MiakaW

Arrived here in 1992 and planned to stay a year – then travel around Asia before heading back to New York City. But I enjoyed teaching too much and I re-upped for another year. I ended up taking off for Manila in CNY 1994 to pursue this “Internet-thing” that was just starting to bubble up. Living in Manila was not for me, and I managed to get an Internet-related position at the head office of my school (Hess) a year and a half later. Been here in Taipei since – but in different industries (usually in Internet- or language-related [editing] positions)

I’ve enjoyed living in Taipei, and have met good people and made good friends. Plus, we’re really close to the Philippines, where my folks live – so I can make it back pretty easily for important family events

Looking ahead, I see a move to China a few years down the road. But put me down as “indefinite stay” – unless all hell breaks loose. But even should that happen, I think I’d rather be looking for gigs in Southeast Asia, Central Asia or China before going to America again.

6 years, 7 months, 3 weeks and a day. Exactly (or so).

Does the fact that you’re counting, right down to the number of days (or so), mean that you find it a bit of a drag living here?

Here until I die, be it naturally or from some traffic mishap, and hopefully after I see my oldest daughter married.

4 or five years or untill I get around to learning Chinese and get a masters at Tai Da. Maybe a decade if I wanted to be realistic.

I was just throwing out some random number (which any number someone posts kind of is). Let’s see… I want to go to a University here next year, then graduate (hmmm about 5 or 6 years). Right now I tell myself I’ll go home and get a masters after that, but who knows. In 5 years I just may be deeply rooted here and never want to leave, or not. Maybe I’ll win the lottery and move to Jamaica.

I figure I’ll probably end up half here and half somewhere else with the larger half being here. What ever happens I’ll try my best to be where the money (fun, chill :sunglasses: , health, happiness, etc.) is.

Good point for discussion! If we all had oodles of money, where would we be living? Would it still be Taiwan?

I think I’d be in Southern Africa for the winter months and Jamaica sounds pretty good for summer months, and then I’d take a couple of trips a year to Europe, the States or Asia so that I wouldn’t feel too isolated… . Taiwan wouldn’t be my first port of landing ! :slight_smile:

Good question, Anaed. If I won the lotto, oodles of money, I’d head right back to Taiwan tomorrow and settle down in the Taitung area with my Gf and her family. Wake up late, stroll on the beach, enjoy local hospitality, minus that police chief, natch, and enjoy life there. Maybe start a pub, just to keep busy. oodles and oodles of money? Yeh, back to Taiwan.