How long did it take you to adjust?

[color=#0040FF]I will be coming to Taiwan next month and I just wanted some opinions on adjustment. How long did it take you all to adjust to living in Taiwan? If at all…:slight_smile:

Thank you!
[/color]

I’ve been here since 2000 and I am still adjusting. The adjustements are just smaller now. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Skyfae”][color=#0040FF]I will be coming to Taiwan next month and I just wanted some opinions on adjustment. How long did it take you all to adjust to living in Taiwan? If at all…:slight_smile:

Thank you!
[/color][/quote]

I would say that it takes about 6 months to start feeling ‘at home,’ give or take.

[quote=“Skyfae”][color=#0040FF]I will be coming to Taiwan next month and I just wanted some opinions on adjustment. How long did it take you all to adjust to living in Taiwan? If at all…:slight_smile:

Thank you!
[/color][/quote]

Depends on your drinking tolerance. :laughing: It’s up to you. You’ll have spells where it’s hard and then you’ll have times where things run with ease. But I would say more or less, it took me a good full year to get “adjusted” but then again I don’t think you ever do, because you’re always discovering new things, and people and places.

Have fun. And welcome to F.com

Everday involves an adjustment. It’s only a question of the degree of fine tuning.

The answer depends on what you mean by ‘adjust’ (it’s an ongoing process for most, during their first 6 months or so, I guess). Getting past the initial shock of not being in a comfy ‘home-like’ place, and instead being surrounded by the very alien visual clutter of incomprehensible Chinese signs, the cacophony of sing-song gibberish plus traffic noise, and the pungent stench of stinky dofu as you walk down the sidewalk? A couple weeks for me, at least; a few months for many people, I’d imagine. Starting to feel like it’s home, like you belong here? Not everyone reaches that point. If you reach it in your first year or two, you might be here a while, like many of us. It didn’t take me long, but I already spoke a little of the language and had already lived in three different countries. And I came here in order to be immersed in a Mandarin-speaking environment, so for me that was a plus. For many, it’s a minus.

How long it will take you is the real question, and that depends on things like why you’re coming here, what you’ll be doing, where you end up living, your tolerance for being surrounded by signs in Chinese characters, whether or not you’re learning the language (which after a while, will really help you cope, IMO), whether or not you make a few good friends quickly, whether or not you’ve lived abroad before, whether or not you already like Asian food, whether you feel need to be near your relatives and old friends (or perhaps a need to be FAR from your relatives) and so on.

As has been previously posted, there are stages one goes through.

But its safe to say…You will never cease to be amazed here on the island.

Where ya coming from?
How old are you?
What have been your ‘life experiences’ so far?
What type of work do you plan to do?
Married, with children, single, planning on getting married?
Have you ever lived in a Chinese/Taiwanese speaking culture?

These things will have a lot to do with your ‘adjustment’ to life here.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]As has been previously posted, there are stages one goes through.

But its safe to say…You will never cease to be amazed here on the island.

Where ya coming from?
How old are you?
What have been your ‘life experiences’ so far?
What type of work do you plan to do?
Married, with children, single, planning on getting married?
Have you ever lived in a Chinese/Taiwanese speaking culture?

These things will have a lot to do with your ‘adjustment’ to life here.[/quote]

[color=#0040FF]Coming from Chicago:)

I’m 28, have only been out of the country once. Did a study abroad in Ireland in college and loved it there.

Of course, living in Ireland cannot compare to living in Taiwan. So no, I have never lived in Chinese/Taiwanese speaking culture.

I’m going to be teaching English in a city called Sansia, San-Xia. I am single so I don’t plan on getting married anytime soon!

[/color]

Good lord, how in the world could a person spend more than 2 minutes reading this thing and think that anyone here was even remotely adjusted?

Just turn everything up to 11 as soon as you get here. You’ll be fine.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]The answer depends on what you mean by ‘adjust’ (it’s an ongoing process for most, during their first 6 months or so, I guess). Getting past the initial shock of not being in a comfy ‘home-like’ place, and instead being surrounded by the very alien visual clutter of incomprehensible Chinese signs, the cacophony of sing-song gibberish plus traffic noise, and the pungent stench of stinky dofu as you walk down the sidewalk? A couple weeks for me, at least; a few months for many people, I’d imagine. Starting to feel like it’s home, like you belong here? Not everyone reaches that point. If you reach it in your first year or two, you might be here a while, like many of us. It didn’t take me long, but I already spoke a little of the language and had already lived in three different countries. And I came here in order to be immersed in a Mandarin-speaking environment, so for me that was a plus. For many, it’s a minus.

How long it will take you is the real question, and that depends on things like why you’re coming here, what you’ll be doing, where you end up living, your tolerance for being surrounded by signs in Chinese characters, whether or not you’re learning the language (which after a while, will really help you cope, IMO), whether or not you make a few good friends quickly, whether or not you’ve lived abroad before, whether or not you already like Asian food, whether you feel need to be near your relatives and old friends (or perhaps a need to be FAR from your relatives) and so on.[/quote]

[color=#0040FF]Hmmm…why I’m coming to Taiwan.[/color]

[color=#0040FF]The reasons are numerous. Oddly enough, I’m hoping to find some sense of clarity in my life. I need a drastic change. Of course, I’m trying not to look at it as running away. I think it will be enjoyable teaching and I also look forward to learning as much as I can about the culture. I would love to learn Mandarin.

I’m not picky about food really, though I used to be a vegetarian and I avoid beef and pork when possible.

I have a good relationship with family and only have a handful of close friends. However, lately I feel the need to get away from everyone and everything that is familiar. I will admit I am afraid but I’m also wanting to test myself…push myself.

Maybe I’m having a slightly delayed quarter life crisis…:slight_smile:[/color]

Really depends on you.

When I first moved to Taiwan for studying abroad last year, I felt right at home on day 1. I never got homesick, and I picked up the manners and habits very quick from asking locals questions and through trial and error.

If you are a person who gets homesick, you’ll take some time to adjust. One girl from my university went home early because she couldn’t take the differences, and she missed her family. I didn’t get that. Sure, Taiwan is different, but it’s not profoundly different. You still eat, sleep, and poop.

Well yeeaaahhh…theres’ that…a firm grounding in the ambiguous does help one cope.

Chicago eh?..Look for posts by fellow Chicagoan NamaHottie…offer her Tater Tots and she’ll give ya the 811…(that means its 2xs as true)

(I used speeel chunk on ambiguous)

Sure, the only difference is that here, you’ll probably end up doing all three at the same time…

You’ll do fine here. It will be a drastic change, but that’s exactly what you’re looking for. That was a major reason for me too, and it was the best move I ever made.

On food, there’s plenty of vegetarian, as well as chicken and seafood. Fear not.

Well yeeaaahhh…theres’ that…a firm grounding in the ambiguous does help one cope.

Chicago eh?..Look for posts by fellow Chicagoan NamaHottie…offer her Tater Tots and she’ll give ya the 811…(that means its 2xs as true)

(I used speeel chunk on ambiguous)
[/quote]

Just PMed the digits. I’m happy to help out…Or scare the poor bugger. :laughing: :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Skyfae”]
[color=#0040FF]The reasons are numerous. Oddly enough, I’m hoping to find some sense of clarity in my life.[/quote]
That’s the funniest shit I’ve read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh. And you’ll get the joke in a year or so…

Oh baby,by, you’re about to get it.

[quote]Of course, I’m trying not to look at it as running away. I think it will be enjoyable teaching and I also look forward to learning as much as I can about the culture. I would love to learn Mandarin.[/quote] Yea, but as my last interview went yesterday, your future American employers will look at as “running away” :unamused: :unamused:

[quote]I’m not picky about food really, though I used to be a vegetarian and I avoid beef and pork when possible.[/quote]Hmmm, stinky dofu will be good for you.

[quote]I have a good relationship with family and only have a handful of close friends. However, lately I feel the need to get away from everyone and everything that is familiar. I will admit I am afraid but I’m also wanting to test myself…push myself.[/quote] That’s normal. It’s called growing up. Plenty of people in my neighborhood who have lived here for over 50 years and never left the area except for shopping at the malls.

[quote=“Namahottie”]Yea, but as my last interview went yesterday, your future American employers will look at as “running away” :unamused: :unamused:
[/quote]

That’s sad. I never understood that mentality!

Well, I guess in a sense I was running away from boring people who know nothing outside their own little personal bubble, and the tedium of life at home. So, in that sense, yeah. :laughing:

[quote=“Indiana”][quote=“Namahottie”]Yea, but as my last interview went yesterday, your future American employers will look at as “running away” :unamused: :unamused:
[/quote]

That’s sad. I never understood that mentality!

Well, I guess in a sense I was running away from boring people who know nothing outside their own little personal bubble, and the tedium of life at home. So, in that sense, yeah. :laughing:[/quote]

Oh I’ve encountered many an interviewer who’s attitude has been like: oh you did it to do some traveling. :fume: Well, yes I did, but I also put in 40 hours a week, graded papers, consulted parents and kids on how to learn/improve/etc, wiped snotty noses and runny eyes, wrote, prepared and created curriculum from thin air. Yes, I had to play a “clown” on occasion but I also had to be a figure of authority, too providing leadership and guidance. The travel was at first a lovely addition, but after awhile a much needed solution to maintain sanity.

And the irony of it all, the interviewer had lived and worked in China and Hong Kong for several years. Talk about snooty… :unamused:

[quote=“Indiana”]

Well, I guess in a sense I was running away from boring people who know nothing outside their own little personal bubble, and the tedium of life at home. So, in that sense, yeah. :laughing:[/quote]

So you went to Taiwan? :laughing:

Me? About two days. The differences between Taiwan and Britain are negligible. The weather was the thing that fucked me up the most,