How long do i have to wait until my Avocadoes are ripe?

These giant green avocadoes take forever to ripen! Whats up with that?? I’m use to the Californian Hass variety, once they are slightly soft to the touch you know they are good … and if they are dark brown they are definately over ripe!

How do I pick an avocadoe in Taiwan?

I agree. Love those Haas avocados. Watch your big green ones closely as they’ll turn on you suddenly in this heat. I bought one recently and it was hard every day till one day I came home and realized, holy cow, the whole thing suddently turned soft and black. I can’t figure it out either. :?

I adore avocados, but boy do they pack calories! Unhappy diabetic. :cry:

[quote]Avocado
Diet Nutrition
Avocados are packed with nutrients. Rich in vitamin A, vitamin E and potassium, they are useful sources of vitamin B6 and mono-unsaturated fat. Due to their high vitamin E content avocados have powerful antioxidant properties which help slow down ageing, protect against cancer, heart disease and many other problems.

However, avocados are relatively high in calories and should be eaten in moderation on any weight loss diet.

Calories in Avocados:

1 avocado, flesh only = [color=red]340[/color] calories
[/quote]

[quote]Watch your big green ones closely as they’ll turn you on suddenly in this heat. I bought one recently and it was hard every day till one day I came home and realized, holy cow, the whole thing suddently turned soft and black.[/quote] :shock: Am I only one who misunderstood this the first time I read it ? Must be just me then.

It seems Matthew’s “on” sprouted legs. :unamused:

Matthew!! This is a wholesome thread!! Wow I wonder what you see in your Alphabet Soup every lunch hour?

[quote=“roseha”]Matthew!! This is a wholesome thread!! Wow I wonder what you see in your Alphabet Soup every lunch hour?[/quote]I’d best PM that to you if you like:wink:

You should have seen what I saw in the topic of this thread :shock: :blush:

[quote=“Soddom”]

Calories in Avocados:

1 avocado, flesh only = [color=red]340[/color] calories
[/quote][/quote]

Excuse me, Sods. But what other bits of the avocado can one consume (orally) ?

Shut up, Matthew!

:wink:

Yeah, it struck me as kinda dumb also, but I just posted directly from the site. I suppose the skin might make a sothing face mask, and the stone (seed?) makes for a fine table ornament in the organic Mexican home. :smiley:

[color=red]AVOCADO SEED CARVINGS[/color]

strangetreasures.com/AVOCADOSEEDCARVINGS.htm

And there’s more from this fruitpot, “Rabbi Nathan” :

Sounds great! Wonder if we can get hemp oil in Taiwan. Wonder where Rabbi Nathan got it.

Calorie-wise, you can eat an avocado or drink a little more than two beers.

You just need to jog for half an hour and you’ll have burnt up every last calorie from the avocado.

And Rose, a little voice tells me that your avocados are lusciously ripe already.

This is the best thrread title that I have ever seen. it conjures up wonderfully wicked images yet deals with one of the most important questions of the day.

Rose I sugges that you do not wait with this variety. Slice it, mash it and spread on whatever you like. It should tast just fine.

Chou

[quote=“roseha”]These giant green avocadoes take forever to ripen! Whats up with that?? I’m use to the Californian Hass variety, once they are slightly soft to the touch you know they are good … and if they are dark brown they are definately over ripe!

How do I pick an avocadoe in Taiwan?[/quote]
When avocadoes stop being hard and start being soft it’s time to pick them. However, I’ve eaten Taiwan avocadoes and can’t find any taste. In Mexico, besides making a good guacamole, slices of avocadoes go into any sandwich roll right along with fresh, vine-ripened delicious tomatoes. Not here! The aguacates are comepletely tasteless.