How long have you been teaching in Taiwan?

How long have you been teaching in Taiwan?

• Less than 1 year
  • 1-2 years
  • 2-5 years
  • More than 5 years
  • More than 10 years

0 voters

How long have you been TEACHING in TAIWAN? Reapeat, TEACHING in Taiwan, not living in Taiwan with an unrelated job. Please just answer how long you’ve been teaching (or taught) while in Taiwan.

Why?

10 years, 6 days a week, children only…seems a lot when I start to think about it!

Seems like few want to admit how long they’ve been monkey training… or ‘teaching’ as you may call it.

Monkey training? With the exception of a handful of highly skilled jobs such as piloting an airplane, working in the medical field, engineering, and nuclear physics, most jobs in this world are the kind that a monkey could do. Journalism? I did a little bit of that and all it was amounted to rearranging into pyramid form the junk they put in the press packet. Accounting, banking, running a business - juggling numbers on a calculator. Salesperson, politician, publicist, advertising agency - knowing how to fake a smile and tell the right lies. Life amounts to jumping through hoops. What’s your job, WarMonkey? I betcha I can find 10 people in mainland China to do it just as well for 1/10th of the price. All those computer programmers during the '90s hightech boom with their noses sniffed up high because they were doing the oh-so-difficult task of punching numbers into a machine, now that they’re out of work are a bit more humble now.

If you only knew…

18 responses so far. That’s not too bad.

I think mod lang has a point. I’d bet it’s a lot harder to train monkeys than teach ESL, though.

7 months and counting. I love life here overall though and at present feel like I could stay here for years more. :slight_smile: