How long will it take to find a place in New Taipei to rent?

I am not in Taiwan yet. I will probably make my initial booking for a place to stay via Airbnb, so I won’t be under pressure to sign a rental contract coming from the airport.

I’m looking for a place to rent in New Taipei. How long should I book the Airbnb place to give myself time to find more permanent accommodation?

Are rental contracts in Taiwan with a termination notice of say 1-3 months possible? E.g. You live in a place for a few months, find out you have noisy neighbors and then decide to leave. In some countries the norm is a 1 year contract, and if you leave early you must find a new tenant at your expense. In other countries, the norm is to give say two months notice, no reason needed, then the contract ends.

1 Like

there ia no set time to finding a place, depends on you finding something you like, can take a day or 2 weeks…
contracts vary in terms of notice, usually its 1 or 2 months.
some will ask you to replace the tenants, some will just ask for a set compensation for breaking the contract (1 month rent or 2 months rent).
make aure that this is a 2-way request, i.e. if landlord asks you to leave ahead of time you also get 1 or 2 month compensation.

Hi, I understand your situation. I know mrhost website provides extended stays

at an affordable price you can check them out and if you have specific recommendations you can contact their customer service

if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me I ll be happy to help.

It really depends on how many requirements you have. We booked short-term housing for a month (not including quarantine). It took us about 2 weeks to sign and another week before moving in. Appointments to see open places can generally be made a day ahead of time. We saw maybe 9 places.

What kinda place you looking for?

Hey everyone, thank you for your advice and assistance :smile:

I’m looking for a bachelor pad with a spare room for guests or as an office. It should be fully furnished with a minimum size of 20+ ping. Preferred price range is NT$20-30/month.

I notice also that the difference between furnished and unfurnished apartments with the parameters above is a 1:10 ratio. How difficult is it for a tenant to start furnishing an apartment? How much would it cost and how long will it take?

If the renter is not an agency, but a private individual, I prefer to meet the person face to face before deciding to rent from them long term.

I suppose the start date for my apartment should be my arrival date + quarantine time in a quarantine hotel? One isn’t allowed to quarantine in private accommodation in Taiwan?

By the way, what is this?! Apartment is a haunted house? :astonished:

1 Like

not difficult, just costly.
if you need to buy major appliances (TV, Fridge,Washing Machine) it will be at least an extra 50K nt
furtniture: assuming you don’t want anything too complicated you can go to IKEA and get everything there, delivery to your house will usually be within 2-3 business days.

2 Likes

get an airbnb, assume you will need 1 or 2 weeks to check out a few places before you decide. we looked at ~8 apartments before we decided which one to take, but maybe you wont need that many trips.

1 Like

That could be an apartment where someone died in before maybe? Taiwanese seem to be very superstitious, and don’t want to live where anyone died, even from natural causes. Ghosts, you know…

2 Likes

You can do quarantine in a apartment as long as only occupier.
I plan on doing that.

I remember once seeing an altercation in HKIA in the Gents where someone accidentally splashed water on someone else. The guy who got splashed flipped out. I was wondering what was the big deal, until someone explained to me that water sounds like ‘sui’ or bad luck, so splashing it on someone is like splashing bad luck on them.

Hmm, all my bad luck maybe is because of all the water gun fights I got into as a kid? :grimacing:

How is the state of a house being haunted confirmed? :thinking:

Great, thanks. But are you sure about this? The TECO officer said only quarantine hotels are acceptable. In private accommodation, even if someone is the sole occupier, how do they verify you are complying with the quarantine? I read in a FAQ regarding quarantine hotels that even leaving your room can result in deportation + a fine.

Yeah is a bit of a grey area? I must say I’m not 100% but nothing in Taiwan Covid-19 regulations are. Mulling

I’ll double check or could be in for a shock when I arrive.

Sorry, one more question. You say New Taipei, but, New Taipei is a doughnut and… since it is as arbitrary as it gets for a city, it’s somewhat unhelpful. Was hoping you narrow it down and I can take a look online for you.

1 Like

Standard contract here is you have to give 1 mo notice and pay a 1 mo penalty. Don’t agree to anything where you have to find a new tenant! Its a death trap!

Always try to have a local friend who can help you with your landlord. Taiwan has lots o bad landlords. Mostly old uneducated people who just got property when it was dirt cheap. Sometimes it doesn’t matter what your contract says. They will do something against the contract. “Yes that’s what the contract says but this is how its done in Taiwan”. Happened to me one time I wanted to move early. Landlord told me that even after giving 1 mo notice and paying the penalty he got to keep the full deposit. Local friend put him in his place. Quickly.

2 Likes

Hi, just got this from U.K. travel advice to Taiwan.

“From 7 March 2022, all passengers arriving in Taiwan from the UK will be required to complete a mandatory 10 day quarantine. Passengers will be able to choose whether they wish to complete their mandatory quarantine at their residential property, a quarantine hotel or a designated quarantine”.

I also read that may not need Negative PCR 2 days before if have full vaccination 3 jabs certificate. But that only a :thinking: “mulling”

1 Like