How many credit cards do forumosans need?

Well, Credit cards are my business, literally. So I adore them, but I don’t use them as credit card per se at all, I use them all as charge cards, i.e. paying off the balance each time (or very, very close to it in very exceptional instances). Credit cards are the best way to build a credit history, to show you can repay what you owe. I truly love to be debt free, and I try to be always. However only using cash is something which actually play against you sometimes. Issuers (can’t just say banks, since also non-bank financial institutions issue cards, like my company) make a lot of money not just from interests on the rolling balances, also from interchange, that is a “rebate” the network of the card gives to the issuer to promote card usage. So issuers love all cardholders, as long as they use the card. An inactive card is a cost, there are rolling fees from the network (although small per card, on the big number can get substantial). I do use cards a lot, as much as I can for the perks the issuers give (which are partly subsidised by cash payers, partly by the merchant fees, partly by the interchange). Perks might be cashback, points (I mostly look at airmiles), interest free instalment payment plans, discounts at certain merchants, free parking, upgrades on trains/airlines, free use of lounges at airports, etc… That stuff is literally “free” for the cardholder, already paid by the issuer as a promotional activity to attract cardholders. As much as you can, use a credit card, but not to make debt (i.e. live above your possibilities) but to “play the system”, which is something the issuers already have forecasted and accounted in their card programmes. Cards, if used responsibly and with some “planning”, can literally make you save money and benefit you. I do carry now only 2 TW issued cards (just arrived here, so I will need some time to rebuild all my credit card structure). but in HK I used to have not less than 5 cards at all times, all for different purposes. And the issuers are generally happy to waive annual fees as long as they can retain you and make you spend on the card. Currently having only Cathay Costco card and the AMEX eva air gold card, will apply as soon as possible for the Fubon Taiwan Mobile card (cashback and discounts on the phone plan), Cathay Eva Air card (amex still not accepted so broadly, so need a proper everyday card for miles), CTBC China airlines card (to enjoy the 2 years complimentary silver status with CI, so free lounges when flying with them).

2 Likes

Can you tell us more about the benefits this card offers? I’m somewhat of a Fubonian myself…

As far as I understood, it give you 5% back for all you spend with Taiwan Mobile (in particular 5G mobile plans) and the cash, if you have Fubon account, is directly deposited there. If you have a special digital account (dunno the actual name for it) with Fubon, you get an extra 0.5% cashback. Then you have actual discounts in the mobile plan, although I still need to study better how this applies, since it’s not that clear. 信用卡-台湾大哥大Open Possible聯名卡-台北富邦銀行
The above is the link for the bank website of the card. You have also some other perks which are not too much of interest for me at the moment.

1 Like

Sounds good.

I have the J points card that gives you 3% back on line pay purchases, but I’m also eyeing up their momo card which gives 5% when purchasing on that platform.

1 Like

dont forget to poop and shower there. you will save on paper, water and electricity too!

i couldn’t find a good card for miles in TW, you found something interesting ?

Good good not really, barely decent. The hsbc traveller infinite seems decent, until it works the citi premiermiles, then if u want to fork out the big bucks, amex platinum. These are multi airlines cards, for single airlines the eva air card by cathay is usable, the ctbc china airlines card is qctually quite amazing as it gives u 2 free year of silver status (ie free lounges and other priority perks). Haven’t investigated enough the dbs black card, I used to have it in HK, it was ok.

But this means you are flying China Airlines, right? :joy:

Guy

I’m actually not, I’m an Eva air boy. But to find a card which gives u elite status without crazy requirements, it is amazing tbh. In HK the only one rn is the stanchart cathat priority card, but u need to be priority with stanchart, which require millions of HKD in balances with them. I flew china airlines a few times, they treated me well tbh, but the safety record is rather… Unimpressive

After making a joke at their expense, I have to say that China Airlines has definitely improved the safety part of their game. Twenty years ago, however, aiyaiyai!

Guy

1 Like

citi rejected (twice) me for being a foreigner, i was so pissed at them i decided not to apply ever again.

2 Likes

Gotta say, their a350 is a quite nice bird, comfy even in economy for long haul flights (flew it from Rome to Taipei a few years back, as it entered service). The service also not bad.

1 Like

Citi rejected me many times in HK, even if my payroll account was with them. Once I even complained with the monetary authority, which ruled in my favour, but then the bank to save face declined still since I had too many cards. I reapplied 2 weeks later, I was approved in 2 days! Still have the card!

1 Like

Yes many people enjoy flying on this aircraft don’t they. Airbus really hit a homerun with this plane, something Boeing hasn’t done since their last unambiguously excellent aircraft the 777-300er.

Guy

1 Like

The Taishin Cathay Pacific card is pretty good IMO.

The B777 is a workhorse, reliable and set a standard. The B787 is not a bad machine by any standards, it was riddled with issues at launch, flew it a few times (eva air and ana), good experiences. Love the electronic shades for the windows qnd on some jal/ana 787 they even installed washlets! Boeing really f…d up with the 737, while airbus keeps shredding with the a220 (besides some paint issues with few a350s)

Yup, I loved the 777, and flew on it countless times with Cathay Pacific and other carriers.

Since then Boeing has apparently been more committed to scoring own goals than keeping up with Airbus. I would never have thought this was possible twenty years ago. So kudos to China Airlines for buying those a350s—they are state of the art machines.

Guy

1 Like

CITI used to, but I bet it changed now, require foreigners to live in Taiwan for 5 years before they would approve. It was a hidden rule. If you go back further, like 15 to 20 years ago, required foreigners to open a time deposit for 3 months min before they would approve. I suspect the banks keep rolling their requirements all the time depending which manager is now in charge

How do they ask you to prove that?

Could you show them an entry/exit dates certificate or did they also require ARC residency for that period?

they dont ask you to prove anything, i just had to submit passport, arc, and 3 month bank book records. on the surface the requirements are the same for all,i guess there are internal procedures to check and reject foreigners that are not made public when you apply.