How many genders are there?

Umm what. Hair length has nothing to do with gender.

How would any of this not allow society to advance?

So let’s ignore science? Why would you run a idea counter to science.

2 Likes

Why would women and men behave in the same way without social constructs? Boys and girls behave differently even before they’ve supposedly been conditioned. There will, as you say, be a degree of social conditioning. But it’s never going to beat tens of thousands of years of evolution.

I don’t think “the way we manifest gender has varied a hell of a lot”. Male and female roles have remained pretty much the same throughout history and across cultures. Cue counter example of tribe in Papua New Guinea, lol.

1 Like

The answer to that from some would be the parents surrounded the children with preconceived notions of how a boy or a girl should be treated. Pink for a girl, blue for a boy, certain toys for boys different ones for girls. Which is the path and logic I assume is behind the theybies idea, which is to raise the child in a gender neutral environment until the child can make up their own mind.

Eh, never mind. We’re talking past each other.

1 Like

It has actually. Pink used to be a manly color. High heels were for men. Men used to have long hair. Women were basically child factories owned by men. We are not talking about different cultures rather how our own culture has changed what it means to be a man or woman.

I recall some research that argued that pre-agriculture gender equality was standard. I thought it made some pretty tenuous links to cherry picked modern tribes. It could be true, though.

In modern recorded history men have always been dominant and have restricted women’s freedom. For example, through the use of restrictive clothing. Women have always focussed on making themselves sexually attractive while men have focussed on obtaining resources.

Rightly or wrongly this has always been the case, with the exception of the odd outlier such as the Shakers.

It’s clearly innate and not culturally fluid.

Right, we are discussing innate vs acquired behavior. The colour pink has been used by both sexes at different periods of time, as are man’s hair length. Hence they are not innate instinct to gravitate to one or the other but a product of social construct.

Minor changes in fashion are not “a hell of a lot”. They are just fashion changes. Did being a man in the early 70s require wearing flared trousers?

A lot of feminists would argue that women are still “child factories owned by men” in most cultures.

No bait actually curious what others think. Personally I believe there are only 2 genders. If you are born a man thats it thats who you are, whether you like it or not. Don’t get me wrong, they can have boobs, be on the recieving end in sex, chop off their thing I dont care but they are still a man.
I mean what makes them a woman? Boobs? Long hair? Wearing a dress? Those things not a woman make. Its your DNA that matters.
Basically IMO they don’t feel like acting “the way the should” and want to do “feminine” stuff so they think they must be a woman. That would make things simple wouldn’t it?
I believe those things are not gender specific. Go nuts do all the “girly” stuff and don’t be offended when I call you a “he” when you prefer “they”. You are just reinforcing conventional gender expectations.
P.S mostly talked about man to woman trans becuse that it by far the most common.

It is a hell of a lot. Thats basically what many “transgender” do. Dresses, long hair, make up and voila they now demand everyone to refer to them as she.

I no longer have an issue with transwomen demanding to be referred to as she. I’ll even try my best to get their preferred pronouns right (although will probably get them wrong). However, she’s still a man.

personally, I would say three. I believe vast majorities are belonging to male or female by any definitions of gender, and third gender is for people in beteew or outside of the two genders. They cannot be categorized by one character because they may be on spectrums by any definitions of gender, but they are minority so giving each of them infinite genders is not practical, imo.

What is the 3rd gender in your opinion? Trans people?

iiuc, trans people’s genders are male or female. Or do they feel differently?

I can’t say I represent trans, but I believe most of them want to be identified as male or female.

But that still leaves what you mean as the 3rd gender.

You bring up a question, if trans people want to be either man or women. Don’t they oppose the idea of a 3rd or unlimited amount of genders

More than two, but it’s a highly bimodal distribution.

If someone whose passport lists no gender, or an alternative gender, naturalizes as an ROC citizen, do they assign that person a gender? Do they demand to see the birth certificate or a medical report? What? (Even the ID card letters/numbers here assume binary gender possibilities.)

I hope that people who decide for their passports to display a non-traditional gender have taken into consideration how it might affect their travel plans. I guess places like Saudi Arabia would be off the list of possible destinations.

2 Likes

I suppose we need to get back to basics and not call it gender but rather equipment

Penis or vagina and possibly not differentiate between God made and Man made either to be truly truly PC

It’s not like we can really check on that to make sure.