How many genders are there?

When I say gender fluidity I mean people who switch gender back and forth. Do their brains change as they do this? If someone is female one day, and then male the next.

Well their brain states would change but thats because at some level all changes in mental states involve changes in brain states. Certainly the fetal brain devolopment I described above would not explain this type of gender fluidity. At most you might hypothesize that the brains of many of these people developed as neither strongly male or female, making it easier for their sense of gender identity to fluctuate.

1 Like

Brain states will obviously change. They continually do. Does the structure of the brain change? Or is that only something that happens in utero?

An oversimplification, but I think it is basically correct to say that structure in this sense is more or less fixed in utero (although puberty and hormones may be necessary to activate some of these gendered brain structures ‘laid-out’ in utero).

This doesn’t explain gender fluid people who feel male or female from day to day. Unless they are fixed to change in utero.

Youre right, this in utero bathing of the brain in estrogen etc and “fixing” of the brain as typically male, female or somewhere in between does not alone in itself explain the shifting between gender identities that occurs in gender fluid people

It was bound to happen eventually…
“…the biological man claiming to be a woman who has sued a spa in Windsor after a female employee declined to service him following his request for a Brazilian wax. The “transgender woman” was furious, claiming that his genitals are irrelevant to his gender, and that this Muslim woman should have absolutely no problem handling his penis, seeing that in his point of view, it was a female penis.”

1 Like

It may hurt, but not as much as getting your genitals waxed.

1 Like

your genetic makeup?

2 Likes

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2018/12/01/is_gender_unique_to_humans.html

I laughed so hard, I think I may have pulled something …

It bears repeating that we lack direct evidence of an internal gender identity in chimpanzees, bonobos, and other nonhuman animals. But the question of gender in a nonhuman species has yet to be tackled in a comprehensive way, so perhaps a license to speculate a bit is warranted. If nothing else, it seems clear that gender in other species is entirely possible.

Does anyone have confidence in gender “science”? Don’t see how.

I believe that gender is a social construct I don’t understand why some people are so obsessed with the notion that some people do not identify the same way as they do as if it was personal.

It didn’t before. Now it feels like in many areas of people’s lives they must recognize someone as whatever that feel like or face consequences. And it doesn’t make a lot of sense. There are some real contradictions. Like being trans is not a choice, you’re born that way. Or is gender fluid and you can choose?

1 Like

One (obvious) reason why.

Identifying himself only as J.Y., the claims of discrimination and bullying are ironic considering what this fellow is doing to actual women . One of the estheticians, a single mom who works out of her home, already paid J.Y. $2,500 to withdraw his complaint so she could simply get on with her life. Two and a half grand, it turns out, is the amount of money that a single mom, seeing her livelihood threatened, has to pay to a man for not touching his genitals.

It gets worse. According to John Carpay of the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, many lawyers are terrified to touch transgender discrimination cases for fear of being accused of transphobia, thus making it very difficult for the women being targeted to find any legal representation and increasing the temptation to simply settle. To fight these attack to the hearing stage, Carpay noted, would cost each of these women over $20,000.

Idk what’s going on in Canada but I keep hearing some weird stuff going on there lately.

Are you saying that the fact that some people call themselves gender fluid is having a direct impact on your life?

Looks like hyperbole.

FTFY

It can these days.

Are you saying it really doesnt impact people?

Ask the single-mom esthetician if the thousands of dollars she paid in settlement is hyperbole.