How many non-Asian naturalized Taiwanese citizens are there?

how many non-Asian naturalized Taiwanese citizens are out there?

I’m sure there’s a Taiwanese bureacrat in a windowless office keeping the number, no? :smiley:

Or perhaps there’s a support group for these folks? If so, how many members? :slight_smile:

Liebes Fräulein Schumann,

There is at least one, I am not revealing his user handle, though I might hint he is a good natured fellow, a Satellite of happiness so to speak. He does however keep his Taiwanese citizenship totally secretive, so you will have a hard time getting him to talk about it.

It’s one of those subjects that people rarely talk about.

[quote=“bob_honest”]Liebes Fräulein Schumann,

There is at least one, I am not revealing his user handle, though I might hint he is a good natured fellow, a Satellite of happiness so to speak. He does however keep his Taiwanese citizenship totally secretive, so you will have a hard time getting him to talk about it.[/quote]

Shhhh, Bob! You know he hates it when people find out!

[quote=“Poagao”][quote=“bob_honest”]Liebes Fräulein Schumann,

There is at least one, I am not revealing his user handle, though I might hint he is a good natured fellow, a Satellite of happiness so to speak. He does however keep his Taiwanese citizenship totally secretive, so you will have a hard time getting him to talk about it.[/quote]

Shhhh, Bob! You know he hates it when people find out![/quote]

He never flashes his ID card or anything! Or tell stories on how he gets on PRC citizen lines when he’s in China! I can certainly attest to his wishes of keeping his Taiwanese citizenship completely secret and maybe classified.

I know a guy. Can’t remember his name though. Maybe it was Trevor? I’m sure it had a T and a V in it. The trouble is he doesn’t talk about it very much.

There is another one with a surname that sounds Asian, but I wouldn’t say for sure that he has any particular ethnicity. I’ve never really thought much about whether he’s a whitey, or whatever. In fact, you raise an interesting question. When does one qualify as Asian? I’ve met people born and raised in western countries, who speak English with authentic accents and work in media, don’t speak good Chinese or understand the culture, but happen to have Asian features and surnames that originate in this part of the world.

I overheard a conversation a while ago between a whitey, who is fluent in Chinese, and an ABC who doesn’t speak the lingo or understand why people are so strange here. Whitey asked the ABC if her parents were from Taiwan, to which she replied that no, they were from New York. Is she Asian in your book?

Perhaps you could try to narrow down your topic by considering definitions such as overseas chinese, or returning chinese, or whatever the government calls them. Then there are non-Chinese Asians such as the alleged half a million Vietnamese brides.

[quote=“Loretta”]
Perhaps you could try to narrow down your topic by considering definitions such as overseas Chinese, or returning Chinese, or whatever the government calls them. Then there are non-Chinese Asians such as the alleged half a million Vietnamese brides.[/quote]

I think he means Asians as in not Asian in ethnicity. Not exactly a semantics debate.

[quote=“Satellite TV Jr”][quote=“Loretta”]
Perhaps you could try to narrow down your topic by considering definitions such as overseas Chinese, or returning Chinese, or whatever the government calls them. Then there are non-Chinese Asians such as the alleged half a million Vietnamese brides.[/quote]

I think he means Asians as in not Asian in ethnicity. Not exactly a semantics debate.[/quote]
Isn’t Fraulein a she???

Anyways OP yeah there is one guy I know, and he rarely ever mentions it. I mean you will have to twist his arm and then some, for him to mention that he has Taiwanese citizenship. He will never ever ever brag about it or even tell you about how other whites balk when he goes into the "Locals’ queue at the airports etc.

I think that I may have met this guy and he was taking about it :bow: a lot .
I was in the pub at the time , so maybe he’d been drinking. Do you know if he loosens up
at all when he’s been drinking. :unamused:

[quote=“Pablo”]I think that I may have met this guy and he was taking about it :bow: a lot .
I was in the pub at the time , so maybe he’d been drinking. Do you know if he loosens up
at all when he’s been drinking. :unamused:[/quote]
I think you must have imagined it.

One of these guys is a really quiet artistic type. Actually, as I type, the lady sitting next to me is looking at his photo and saying “he’s not Taiwanese.” Apparently a passport and proof of having done your military service doesn’t count.

The other, as has been pointed out, he absolutely never tells anyone anything about it. He’s the most tight-lipped secretive guy imaginable. You would never know that he renounced his Australian citizenship some years ago, unless of course you happened to be at the airport with him and saw him in ‘the wrong’ queue. He’s always very embarassed and shame-faced when he has to explain it to foreigners. So no, can’t have been him.

Was his name Trevor?

Not sure; but come to think of it, I think that he mentioned Canberra.
Perhaps it was him and with the drink he opened up to a complete stranger.
It makes sense and maybe thats why he didn’t say that his name was Trevor.

[quote=“Satellite TV Jr”][quote=“Loretta”]

I think he means Asians as in not Asian in ethnicity. Not exactly a semantics debate.[/quote]

A well-thought out and reasoned response. :bravo:

You must take after your mother…

I think there is only one. And his offspring is a foreigner. No hope for Taiwan.

Is this him?

Yeah his offspring is a traitor, wouldn’t get Taiwanese citizenship despite being born here.

This thread is made of win.

was robin winkler the first?

I think he did it around 2003, so no. As to who was the first, I have no idea. Could have been 50 years ago for all I know.

I think he did it around 2003, so no. As to who was the first, I have no idea.[/quote]

Trevor was probably the first Australian to get naturalized.

There’s a spreadsheet on the MOI website somewhere, I’m too pissed to find it right now. There were 0-3 people from western countries naturalizing each year up to the last year I checked (2008). Tens of thousands of south east Asians naturalize each year, more than 60% are female. Even more Taiwanese apply for US naturalization.

So my educated but slightly pissed guess is a few hundred total, probably less than 200 but at least 100.

:noway: Fonzie has never been to Taiwan!