How many priorities in your life?

I have just four:

Work
Family
Exercise
Studying Chinese

That’s it, no time for anything else, and it’s starting to drive me nuts. Not that I have a choice. I have absolutely no time for anything else, those are the priorities I have chosen, and they consume all of my time. So, that’s it (and even those four are pushing it, with numbers 3 & 4 taking place mostly in the morning before work).

No time for reading, TV, movies, hitting the bars, going to the beach, climbing mountains, rock climbing, sailing, kayaking, spelunking, digging clams, picking berries, flying a kite, dancing in the park, learning photography, calligraphy, ju jitsu or anything else. Just four things.

Looking back it seems there were so many long periods in life with endless time: long, lazy summer vacations, lying in the sun forever beside a river/lake/ocean taking breaks to jump in the water for a while before lying there some more; backpacking on long trips in the mountains, one campsite after another after another; even just hanging out at home bored, day after day, wondering what I could do to pass the time. What I wouldn’t give for some of that spare time now, not to catch up with work, but to get away physically and mentally from this miserable routine.

Moreover, I don’t see my list changing for over a year, which is slightly depressing. Maybe it’s just time for a vacation.

Anyone else had to choose such a limited list of priorities to devote life to at present and have absolutely no time for anything else?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I have just four:

Work
Family
Exercise
Studying Chinese

[snip…]

Anyone else had to choose such a limited list of priorities to devote life to at present and have absolutely no time for anything else?[/quote]

Yes. And I don’t even exercise or study Chinese. I haven’t seen a movie in a cinema since 2002. For me, my priorities are (in the following order):

Family
Work
Spending too much time on F.com

And when I say family, it’s really mostly the kids anyway. Someday, someday, I’ll win the lottery and everything will be OK.

My first baby just came home ten days ago, and suddenly my list of priorities is pretty much the same as yours (minus the exercise). It seems like just two weeks ago I could come home, put on a CD, and lounge on the sofa for an hour or two before migrating to the computer for some surfing. Now going to work seems almost like a break! It’s all worth it, though. Having a family really gives your life direction and meaning, and I’m a much happier person than I was in when I partied all the time.

What? No more time for Forumosa? :slight_smile:

Redmenace congrats.

MT come on, really when you had some focus you probably never had more than 4 priorities. Sure we all waste some time while working out what those priorities are and sometimes the need for one disappears and we take some time again to decide what to focus on next but is your routine really miserable? If so then drop 1 gym session and 1 chinese lesson for a couple of weeks and take the time to take Mrs MT to the movies or something. I bet you can find a trustworthy sitter here if you don’t have one already.

For the record Mine were Work, GF, New business, Exercise, Gym. The Gf was getting the short end of the stick until new business went south but now she is having a go at something so I am getting short shrift but its all temporary man. Life’s too short so make room for some fun…seriously.

Work
Family
Exercise
Studying Chinese

That’s it, no time for anything else, and it’s starting to drive me nuts. Not that I have a choice. I have absolutely no time for anything else, those are the priorities I have chosen, and they consume all of my time. So, that’s it (and even those four are pushing it, with numbers 3 & 4 taking place mostly in the morning before work).

No time for reading, TV, movies, hitting the bars, going to the beach, climbing mountains, rock climbing, sailing, kayaking, spelunking, digging clams, picking berries, flying a kite, dancing in the park, learning photography, calligraphy, ju jitsu or anything else. Just four things.

Looking back it seems there were so many long periods in life with endless time: long, lazy summer vacations, lying in the sun forever beside a river/lake/ocean taking breaks to jump in the water for a while before lying there some more; backpacking on long trips in the mountains, one campsite after another after another; even just hanging out at home bored, day after day, wondering what I could do to pass the time. What I wouldn’t give for some of that spare time now, not to catch up with work, but to get away physically and mentally from this miserable routine.

Moreover, I don’t see my list changing for over a year, which is slightly depressing. Maybe it’s just time for a vacation.

Anyone else had to choose such a limited list of priorities to devote life to at present and have absolutely no time for anything else?[/quote]

How much time do you spend on F.com? I have no idea how much time per day you dedicate to this site, but am just thinking that maybe that time could be spent doing something more productive, like finishing up some work and setting time aside for a day trip to the beach or something…

I find that while this website can be helpful and an amazing resource, it can also become extremely addicting. It is easy to spend ungodly amounts of time on sites like this, which is unhealthy and escapist in my opinion…I broke myself away from it and this is the first time I have “popped in” in a month. I have had a lot more free time since I stopped “popping in” every day.

Jeeeeeeezzz, now I’ve got two wives. :frowning: Next I suppose you’ll be telling me to put my dirty laundry in the hamper and pick up my dirty dishes.

Just kidding. My wife hates F.com and tells me exactly what you said, but I don’t believe it makes much of a difference. Well, ok, maybe it would make a difference, but this is essential, isn’t it? After all, it’s basically the only time I ever communicate with non-Taiwanese. But you’re right, maybe it would help. . . but I’d miss the brilliant wit and rollicking good times. :frowning:

Work
Family
Exercise
Studying Chinese

That’s it, no time for anything else, and it’s starting to drive me nuts. Not that I have a choice. I have absolutely no time for anything else, those are the priorities I have chosen, and they consume all of my time. So, that’s it (and even those four are pushing it, with numbers 3 & 4 taking place mostly in the morning before work).[/quote]

I know what you mean. Mine is basically the same.
work
girlfriend
exercise (including rugby on Sunday afternoons)
studying Chinese

But on weekends I try to diversify. I try to watch a new movie at the cinemas every weekend. But seeing as I do that with my SO I guess it falls into priority no.2, not that I mind. As far as reading is concerned, I tend to do that on the can… :blush:
But that’s pushing it. Looking into forcing myself and the SO into taking weekends away from the city. But that’s gonna be hard.

Yep, never thought I’d say it, but I miss school sometimes…

Also true. I haven’t had a decent vacation in almost two years and one week in Chinese New Year is just no gonna cut it.

I just think we need to make time for other things. My biggest problem is that I get bogged down with things and don’t allow myself some time to do things I want to do. Sometimes we just need a break from things like exercise and Chinese. At least one weekend a month. Go ahead, let yourself go… :wink:

It’s sad, but same here:

work (I wish I could care less, i.e. work less)
BF
exercise

Now I’ve started the habit of reading on the bus, so at least I get 40min of education a day.

Drinking
Skiving
Leaving phones in taxis
Drinking again

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

No time for reading, TV, movies, hitting the bars, going to the beach, climbing mountains, rock climbing, sailing, kayaking, spelunking, digging clams, picking berries, flying a kite, dancing in the park, learning photography, calligraphy, ju jitsu or anything else. [/quote]

I think there is a lot in there that you could either do together with your family and/or as exercise…

there should always be time to dance in the park… :bouncy:

I think Bismark is right. The key is to combine activities (“multi-task” to use the technical jargon).
Some examples:
Shagging the missus: this combines relationship stuff, exercise, and drinking
Then there’s:
work and drinking
Forumosa plus drinking
using the bathroom plus drinking
and so on

You guys actually have priorities?
I must have missed the memo. :s
I only have distractions, and their evil nemeses, urgent tasks. :cookie:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]You guys actually have priorities?
I must have missed the memo. :s [/quote]

I need to have a word with you about the new cover sheets for the TPS reports. Did you get the memo?