How many scoooters in Taiwan?

What the hell does this mean?

Are you one of the anti-scooter Luddites on here?

Pardon, but I just don’t grok this post.

I read that there is one scooter for every two people.
Make sure you leave home early, or else you’ll be in the half of the population who have to walk to work or get a taxi.

In some places (like Yung He) it seems there are more scooters than people. I often see scooters whizzing past without a rider.

[quote=“Elegua”]How many MacDonalds in Ireland?[/quote]60
mcdonalds.com/countries/ireland.html

one stat i’ve been told is that 50 people islandwide die each day from scooter accidents.

the scooter is like a taiwanese population control device.

Well, there are 23 million people in ROC, and on average each has 1.15 cell phones. Probably each has 3 mopeds, judging from the sidewalks, so I estimate 69 million mopeds.

Whaddya mean? I ANSWERED THE QUESTION (with a reference, already) and I am all of these things.

Err…At least if I HAD a broke-ass girlfriend and she’d let me borrow her scooter, I WOULD be.

Well, there are 23 million people in ROC, and on average each has 1.15 cell phones. Probably each has 3 mopeds, judging from the sidewalks, so I estimate 69 million mopeds.[/quote]

Mopeds have pedals and a 50cc engine. I’ve never seen a moped in Taiwan.

[quote=“Ducked”]Mopeds have pedals and a 50cc engine. I’ve never seen a moped in Taiwan.[/quote]“Moped” used to mean a pedal-assisted machine. The word’s still used in that way occasionally. But more commonly it’s used with the sense it has in vehicle regulations:
“Two- or three-wheeled road vehicle fitted with an engine with a cylinder capacity of less than 50cc and a maximum authorised design speed in accordance with national regulations.”
( dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … 23-01.hcsp )

Moped, scooter -is there a difference? Must be a fine line. No offense to any girls on TEALIT -my apologies if it came off that way; TEALIT girls are fine.

[quote]What the hell does this mean?

Are you one of the anti-scooter Luddites on here?

Pardon, but I just don’t grok this post[/quote]

Sorry, but as a kid when I had to go to Ireland with my grandmother I used to amuse myself in a childish way by asking the locals this question. They usually answered something to the effect of " why…tens of thousands…) :laughing:

Anyway, there are just too many. I’m not anti-scooter, but the day that fewer try to end up attached to my fender will be a goos one

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Ducked”]Mopeds have pedals and a 50cc engine. I’ve never seen a moped in Taiwan.[/quote]“Moped” used to mean a pedal-assisted machine. The word’s still used in that way occasionally. But more commonly it’s used with the sense it has in vehicle regulations:
“Two- or three-wheeled road vehicle fitted with an engine with a cylinder capacity of less than 50cc and a maximum authorised design speed in accordance with national regulations.”
( dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … 23-01.hcsp )[/quote]

OK, so I’m old. So I remember the 70’s, when Words Had Meaning, when the “mo” in moped was short for motor (Y’know, like in “Motown”?) and the “ped” in moped was short for “pedal”, but THE MAN has indeeed apparently decreed that, in POST 1984 NEWSPEAK, it means:

MUCH more logical. (?)

[quote=“Ducked”]OK, so I’m old. So I remember the 70’s, when Words Had Meaning, when the “mo” in moped was short for motor (Y’know, like in “Motown”?) and the “ped” in moped was short for “pedal”, but THE MAN has indeeed apparently decreed that, in POST 1984 NEWSPEAK, it means:

MUCH more logical. (?)[/quote] :laughing:
My mum had a “real” moped for a while but she didn’t like it much. To an 8-year-old boy it looked like a rocket ship but I’m sure it would seem very tame now.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Ducked”]OK, so I’m old. So I remember the 70’s, when Words Had Meaning, when the “mo” in moped was short for motor (Y’know, like in “Motown”?) and the “ped” in moped was short for “pedal”, but THE MAN has indeeed apparently decreed that, in POST 1984 NEWSPEAK, it means:

MUCH more logical. (?)[/quote] :laughing:
My mum had a “real” moped for a while but she didn’t like it much. To an 8-year-old boy it looked like a rocket ship but I’m sure it would seem very tame now.[/quote]

I had a Honda SS50 MOTORCYCLE which I used to think was pretty fast. There was a “proper” moped with the same name and similar looking bits, though it was probably restricted. I looked my machine up in a motorcycle encyclopedia a while back and it seems it actually was fast for a 50cc, though I can’t remember the numbers. The engine looked like the standard Cub one but was HC, (needing 5 star, IIRC), high revving, and mated to a 5 speed gearbox. I was a pretty clueless rider then as now and it ended up being crushed under the rear wheel of an HGV. Pity. Probably worth money now…not to mention my Heinkel Trojan 2000 bubble car…so I won’t.

A Sears Allstate Moped…circa 1961. I knew a guy who had one. Top speed - 45 mph.

And yes, you could pedal it or use the motor.

From this rather cool website:
home.earthlink.net/~troyce5/ourb … tates.html