How much did it cost you to bring your dog or cat to Taiwan?

Hello all! To start off I’m new to Forumosa and thinking about moving from Florida to Taiwan. I’ve read about many people’s experiences of flying, importing, quarantining their cats or dogs in Taiwan. I have 2 cats and a 60 lb siberian husky. Chances are, I’ll have to leave my furry babies in the US for various reason. I think the pet issue is my most upsetting topic with moving there. :frowning:

How much did you spend per animal for the whole process from beginning to end? (shots, documents, any lab work, specially bought travel carriers, flights, quarantine, etc) Oh and please mention which currency you are using! Thank you for all who respond!

Roughly 2k USD for one cat. I lived in Connecticut and vet care is quite expensive there but the quarantine in TW was the biggest chunk and I suspect the price of that hasn’t gone down.

whole thing, all together, from start to finish, I would say around 5k usd.

But, I did have to take a special extra trip back to the states to get our dog and he stayed in quarantine for 2 extra weeks.

But youre looking at a good 2-3k easily.

3 dogs, between 25 and 28kg totalled 220,000ntd from the UK. Its quite a straight forward process you don’t need to use an agent.

please don’t evn consider bringing a husky to Taiwan !! It’s extremely hot here for most of the year and they suffer terrible… many animal rights groups here in Taiwan are seeking to get the government to ban Husky’s due to this fact.

Well considering he’s from FL and the husky is ok with the pan handle heat, Taipei weather would probably even be a slight upgrade to Miami weather…

Dang that’s pricey! But then again I’m not surprised because they are live animals. My husband would not justify the cost for the cats. We currently live in Central FL and there are other huskies in our area. Our dog is fine in the summer in the house with AC and shorter runs early morning during the summer. Chances are it would be best to find him a new family here. We would likely get an apartment style home and he wouldnt have a large fenced in yard any more. He needs soft ground for longer running distances. The hard pavement is too rough on his claws. I couldn’t imagine how hot he’d get with booties on in the hot weather. There’s other reasons too for not bringing him. :frowning:

Just to know my options, I’ll still look and see if I can find any dog friendly areas when we go to visit in June or July. We’ll be looking in Taichung because my inlaws live there. Thank you everyone for replying!

Agreed…

Prices have not gone down.

2k with the animal in quarantine for a while.

Not good at all and prices haven’t changed for years.

Does pet get depressed when s/he is quarantined?

I found the quarantine staff were excellent with my 3 bulldogs. They were not unhappy, just fat when they got out. They like it here too, they are sunbathing right now

1 Like

I found the quarantine staff were excellent with my 3 bulldogs. They were not unhappy, just fat when they got out. They like it here too, they are sunbathing right now