How much do I charge?

What would be a reasonable fee for a group of 6 adult students?
thx! :?

How often? How many hours? Where? How far from you? Are they rich?

Amos,
The class is 2 times a week for 2 hours each. It’s close to my apt ( maybe a 20 min trip via MRT).
I doubt that they are rich! :slight_smile:
Any idea on fees? I usually put a decent amount of time into prep for my classes.
thx!

Dawn, I’m not terribly greedy, but I reckon I’d be asking between 250 and 300 an hour each. Full month in advance though.

The reason price I reckon is—

for inexperienced teacher: 500-550/per hour
for experienced teacher:600+/per hour

for your reference :wink:

Dear all,

Hi, I am a new comer and my name is Barbara. I want to learn more about the Taiwan teaching market. It’s great that here I can do so.

I am teaching at a university in Hong Kong and all my teaching experience comes from here. To be frank, the pay in TW is rather tough (600 something for an hour). In Hong Kong, it could be 2000 for experienced ones!! I know it 's not fair to compare that but I am thinking of moving to TW so now it’s the time for me to study about it.

Please do let me know if you want info on teaching in Hong Kong. I’ll try my best to share my limited knowledge :wink:

You teach English? For $2000 NT/hr? :shock: Damn. Your English isn’t even native-speaker level. There must be a real teacher shortage. Either that or your dad’s president of the university. :wink:

For 2000 an hour even I would consider becoming a teacher! :laughing:

Maybe it’s just to make up for living expenses; Taiwan is dirt cheap compared to HK. And here, I can dress like a slob and still look OK just because my colours match.

Back in the early 90s it was just the opposite. Everything in Hong Kong was cheaper than here, the money people could make teaching was considerably less, and most back-packy expats worked in bars instead of language schools.

Perhaps with the likes of David Nunan and Jack C. Richards directing the depts of their Unis (U of HK, City Polytechnic), the field of applied linguistics bounded forward in HK, while it stagnated here under the dictatorship of greedy buxiban owners and incompetent MOE admin who knew no more about language teaching philosophies than outmoded grammar-translation methods.
Therefore, the quality of educator in Taiwan perhaps does not deserve the two grand? Hmmm…
I still think Barbara is mistaken, and the pay is closer to $1000, which isn’t that unusual for Taiwan.
Then again, $2000 could be due to the inflation of the HK Region.

Then again, 6 students at 500 each comes to 3,000 per hour. I might have to quit my day job.

So I am hearing anything from $250-600/hour per student. I usually charge $700/hour for one, so I thought that $350 /hour/each would be ok for a group. I just don’t want to overcharge or appear greedy.
This is all assuming I get the job and they agree to my rate!
Thanks for the input! :slight_smile:

Another way you could do it would be to set a price for the group (say 900-1000 or whatever) and let them work out for themselves who pays what, and then take the moolah a month in advance.

Very good question, though…

Rent !? Rent was never cheaper in Honkers than Taiwan. Even when the property market died in '82 HK rent was massive. Well, I’m just bitter because HK birds never fancied me…

hi Maoman, you don’t need to be a “native speaker” of English to teach English in HK fyi. Knowing the students and the culture, relevant qualifications and experience, communication skills (which go beyond ability to speak English) are more important qualities employers look for. I guess it’s the same everywhere, though. :wink:

gaolitsai wrote:

but shawn, if you quit your day job who’s going to recruit the people who are suppose to make you a millionaire?

remember the thread “NASDAQ Corporation Launching in Taiwan?” the mlm spam scam in the flame forum?

It seems to me that the ability to speak non-broken English would be pretty high up on the “relevant qualifications” list. Anyway, the original poster (you?) was talking about teaching at a university, not a kindergarten. Give me a break! :unamused:

Wait a minute…are we talking about the same dollars here? NT$ or HK$?

I think it’s you who should give Barbara a break, Maoman. Native and non-native speaking language teachers have different but equally important jobs to do, as I know from my many years teaching Chinese.

In Hong Kong or Taiwan, when people say they teach English at University level, do they actually mean they teach people how to speak the language?
I always thought that it meant that you were teaching English Literature. Or are there two courses you can take - English as a foreign/second language and English Literature?
Stupid question, I know.

Both options exist.

Most foreigners end up teaching ESL/EFL (that is, the actual language) at the college level at least part of the time. If they have another speciality, such as linguistics or literature, perhaps they teach classes in the speciality as well (or maybe they’re the 2 or 3 exceptions who only teach in their speciality area and do not teach language!!) But most foreigners get saddled with the “English conversation” class which seems obligatory for every incoming freshman class. :unamused: …in groups of 60, of course. :laughing: (OK, not always, but enough to say so.)

It is interesting however, that in Taiwan there doesn’t seem to be as much of a distinction about the particular type of degree – that is, if you have a Ph.D. in English Literature, you’ll end up teaching Lit and very likely Language classes (conversation, writing, etc.) at the university level. And there is a completely different set of skills involved in ESL/EFL teaching than in teaching to native speakers. I suppose this may change in future, but I don’t see universities “realizing” the difference and recruiting people specifically for the positions or classes they want taught; they probably prefer to have “someone who can teach both,” because “how hard is it to teach your native language after all, particularly conversation,” … :unamused: