How much do YOU love Taiwan?

One of the reasons we should give up our citizenships when we apply for Taiwanese citizenship is to prove that we love Taiwan.

This was highlighted in the DPP advertisements that some foreigners had received citizenship, thus Taiwan is a great place to be.

However when Lien Chan was to prove that he also loved Taiwan, he and his wife (as well as Soong) kissed the ground. :notworthy:

If this is good enough for the Chairmen of KMT and PFP, wouldn’t it be good enough for us? I could even lick :raspberry: the ground for a Taiwanese citizenship!

If this is not enough for us “aliens” :stuck_out_tongue: to prove we love Taiwan, then why didn’t Lien Chan give up his US citizenship???

Fair should be fair…

Ps. Chen ShuiBian is called A-Bian, why no one calls Lien Chan for A-Lien, or would that be pronounced “Alien” :stuck_out_tongue:

There is an interesting editorial in the Chinese language LIBERTY TIMES today, April 9th, talking about the continuing excellent relations between the USA and Taiwan, and with no “unfavorable” developments seen to be upcoming in this relationship, even though the AIT Director lady is going to be leaving her post at the end of April apparently.

The article shows that Taiwan strongly wants to continue its friendship with the USA and have good cooperation in all areas.

Well . . . . . if the Taiwanese are so concerned about good relations with the USA . . . . . what better way to cement ties than to allow qualified Americans to gain Taiwan nationality while retaining US nationality . . . .

It seems to me that if PeiAn could get together and write 600 or 700 words about this in Chinese, and submit it to the readers’ page of LIBERTY TIMES, it might have a good chance of getting published at this juncture.

My $0.02

Thanks Falcon, this is good news! I also saw on TV yesterday that this lady from PFP was crying saying that DPP bullied her for being WaiShengRen (being born outside of Taiwan), and ICRT mentioned that if anyone bully someone for it’s birthplace during an election there should be a 2M NTD fine!
They interviewed DPP and they said that they wanted to have a human rights law in Taiwan, this is something they have been fighting for.

I think many pieces of the puzzle is coming together and I suggest we elect a spokeperson (really would recommend Hartzell or someone else who reads the Taiwan law and know how things work) to fight our battle.

Sure I cannot speak for Hartzell, but it would be great to get his or someone else help here.

Maybe we should set up a time where interested foreigners could meet and discuss these things face to face and come up with an agenda?

Now is a very good time and we need to move when things are hot :fume: .

Also in today’s LIBERTY TIMES, there are several articles about the 25th Anniversary of the TAIWAN RELATIONS ACT, which was passed by the US Congress on April 10, 1979. . . . . Are you planning to submit an article or two to the reader’s page of the LIBERTY TIMES about your comments on these important things???

What would be wrong with the government passing a law allowing anyone from a country that maintains diplomatic relations with Taiwan and any other country that is deemed to have friendly relations with Taiwan to maintain their original citizenship while obtaining Taiwanese citizenship?

The answers to ludahai’s questions have been given in other threads in this Forum. Basically, the MOI considers it a question of “conflicting national loyalties.”

I would like to write to LIBERTY TIMES and tell them about the issues we foreigners are facing obtaining citizenships, how unequal they are treating non-Chinese and overseas Chinese. Inform them that the current rules and regulations makes it impossible for certain nationalities to immigrate to Taiwan.
Taiwan are loosing a lot of intelligent and educated people, whom are emigrating to USA, Canada and other territories. Why not allow intelligent and diligent people from abroad to immigrate to Taiwan?

However I have not been involved in this issue for a very long time and I fear that I will say things that are incorrect and not true. An article like this needs to have hard facts, which no one can challenge.

I still urge someone with longer experience to take the lead, I would be more than happy to work with this person and share my opinions.

Anyone?

I knew of 1 family that gave up their USA citizenship when they returned to ROC after 20 years in the USA, to start their family.

I think the pressure was from their co-workers. And was all tangled up in the Chinese “face” concept and American citizenship in Taiwan’s mentality.

Personally I think it was a stupid move.

There has been some research that dual citizens ‘normally’ maintain their allegiance to their country of birth therefore Taiwan is obviously trying to remove this option. Simple.

Sounds reasonable to me.

And according to this line of thinking, all Taiwanese with second or third nationalities should be forced to make a choice, and to keep only one nationality . . . . . . with strict criminal penalties for non-compliance.

Of course, even if a Taiwanese person chooses to be a citizen of some foreign country first and foremost, he/she can still consider himself/herself to be “Taiwanese” in a cultural sense . . . . . . there would be no restriction in that regard.

reciprocity. if the MOI feels so strongly about such, then taiwanese who gain second passports should be stripped of their taiwanese citizenship.

foreigners have to renounce their homeland citizenship to gain ROC citizenship but taiwanese seem to enjoy their hobby of passport collecting. unfair.

reciprocity…I am sorry skeptic yank, hartzell, and all the others that for some reason believe this is some kind of magic word. It is not. It means absolutely nothing in the real world. Didn’t your parents teach you that giving a gift doesn’t necessarily mean that you would receive one in return and actually to expect one in return was kinda rude. Mine did. Well it’s the same idea. Sure it’s nice other countries let people keep their citizenship and it would be nice if Taiwan did the same but in the end it is not a requirement nor should it really be expected. Also as I (and others) have pointed out in other topics, Taiwan is not the only country that does this (Yes, I know this is a forum about Taiwan; however, since so many people like to point out what others do, I thought I would follow suit). Check the web and you will find almost all Asian countries are like Taiwan and quite a few non-Asian ones.

you are correct. the US should stop issuing passports to Taiwanese. if a Taiwaner wants a US passport they should have to serve two years in the US military and renounce their homeland. the west has been settled, homesteading is over and america is full. there is no good reason for lady liberty to keep the welcome mat at her feet any longer.

did ovid tseng renounce his US passport/citizenship? mrs. lee tung hui? mrs lien zhen? sure is convenient AIT doesn’t accept such and taking such an oath is non-binding there. what is OK for the rich is denied the commoners.

i would have had no problem giving taiwan 2 years in the army. coulda been done in a reserves type structure to allow folks in their economic prime to keep producing. diversifying her gene pool will only make taiwan stronger. if taiwan was enlightened enough to allow foreigners to gain dual citizenship just as her own are granted taiwan would soon realize the benefits of grassroots support from around the globe. mr hartzell and others would soon be lobbying their birthnations on BEHALF of taiwan. such would be a very nice problem indeed. chen shui bian could point to the ethnic diversity of taiwan’s citizens as a strong point, something that truly notates how taiwan has fully embraced the universal solidarity of humanity far past the lip service china merely pays.

having westerners with dual citizenship would be a great tool in the quiver of a keen eyed leader. turning away all these people who want to be with and of you is counter-intuitive. sadly, it looks as if taiwan has swallowed the genetic purity crap japan also spouts. taiwan will then follow japan’s trajectory as well into a graying state operating below replacement level. hybrid vigor and all it implies is a wonderful thing. tis a shame taiwan fears vigor indeed.

No asian country I know of wants a diversified gene pool. Foreigners don’t add too it — they take away from it. They are free thinkers, not able to follow the rules. Their priorities are all wrong. Always looking out for themselves and never the collective.
Sure Japan is graying, but look at the U.S. – a bunch of free loaders waiting for a welfare check…really, which is worse??? My siblings, the factory workers, can’t wait for a layoff or cut back…they draw more from unemployment than from working…great system.

HK and S’pore are splendid examples of multicultural Asian nations that are/were economic juggernauts.

americans lazy? surely you jest. the american worker is the most productive worker in the world. of all the western industrialized nations, the US worker has the shortest vacation time per annum. ask a german how much vacation they get per year. my goodness.

as for your siblings, being on the lower rung of a pyramid scheme is never a happy place. “disposable workers” ain’t a good thing no matter how you slice it.

Well Skeptic, I think the attitude that ‘someone owes me something because I was born an American’ has been growing quite a bit in certain segments of American society. I can’t quite put my finger on it but I noticed it in Oklahoma and Virginia. Maybe it’s just me.
Anyway, we are talking about a few different things concerning American workers. First we have the workers that are in the workforce with jobs. These we can divide into two or more groups (just like in any country) those that are actually productive at work and those that are waiting for payday. Then we have those not in the workforce which can also be divided into several groups - those who want to work but can’t find a job, those who don’t want to work and are sitting around drawing welfare checks, and so on.
As for vacation time, well maybe you don’t know too many federal employees (although I believe it is one of the largest employers in the U.S.) but when I was a government employee I got six weeks paid vacation a year (of course that was after 15 years), not to mention all federal holidays.
As for my siblings, they had basically the same opportunities I did but they chose to stay where they are and live the lives they live. Sure I doubt I’ll ever be at the top of the pyramid scheme but at least I have a few more choices than they have given themselves.

Who give a rats arse where you are born… if you want ROC nationality and the ROC demands you renounce yours then do it. I did…

Doesnt mean I’m going to kiss the ground or vote the I love Taiwan campigners…

WHAT IS IT THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY OF BIRTH ANYWAYS? LOL

I did it for personal selfish none of ya fooking business reasons lol

But actually because now I can live my life freely without the restrictions that ARC’s had before the PARC were even mentioned. MY ARC was stamped… NOT ALLOWED TO WORK IN TAIWAN… so I didnt lol

If I don’t LOVE my country of nationality does that mean they should take away my passport ? Dammit, better find somewhere to LOVE and become a citizen of it. (Is there a country called “Japanese Schoolgirls” anywhere?)