How much do your purchases take into account made in China?

haha. Just the service centre. I’ve done a bunch of RMAs there and stuff.

Sometimes they bend the rules.

Looking into it more. Seems there are actually a decent number of NOT made in China computers.

Panasonic tough book are 100% made in Japan according to them. Everything inside.

https://business.panasonic.co.uk/mobile-solutions/about-us/toughbook-timeline[quote=“Explant, post:1, topic:195010, full:true”]

All TOUGHBOOK rugged mobile computers are manufactured in Kobe, Japan. Unlike most notebook manufacturers that order parts from other companies, TOUGHBOOK products are designed, tested and manufactured from the ground up at the plant. Panasonic is so rigorous with testing TOUGHBOOK products that thousands are pushed to the point of destruction every year in order to further improve our products. [/quote]

Now that computers seem easy enough to buy non made in China lines. Let’s tackle cell phones!

When my Dad came back from his walking tour of Europe (1944-45), courtesy of the U.S. Army, and after a stay in a VA hospital, he had an unwritten rule in the house - NO German products.

I had a Japanese roommate in college, (my undergraduate degree was in International Relations). When his watch was stolen from a locker in the school gym, and he had to buy a replacement in the U.S… He would only consider a Casio or a Seiko. Later he decided to buy an acrostic guitar - He bought a Yamaha. (Ohh . . . I learned, that was how the game was played).

So I have a similar unwritten rule in my house, NO Chinese products. (I was happy to find a source for my loafers and boat shoes from a family owned firm in Maine (USA), which still crafted and resoled the shoes in Maine from leather sourced from a tannery in Illinois. Until last month, Brooks Brothers was still manufacturing their ties and Oxford button downs shirts in the U.S. and Permanent Press shirts in Malaysia with U.S. cotton.

However my Asus and Acer pcs have been more problematic.

Why would you EVEN think about indirectly supporting the Chinese Communist Party in their long-term goal of becoming the "Middle Kingdom’ and militarily taking over Taiwan?

1 Like

I don’t have the luxury to take this into account.

I don’t get a lot of work making guitars, and for the past month there’s been an effective freeze on new customers, so if I need to buy something I can save 50% buying it from Taobao. For example a Ziricote back and side set costs me 300 USD from the US but only half as much from Taobao, so the choice is pretty clear. I can’t afford to get political about this.

Sometimes thats the choices we make. But what about other cheaper stuff. Like say toothbrushes, tires, clothing etc? I think its important not to let a real reason become an excuse for everything else

1 Like

Check out this. Is Booking. Com a chinese owned company?

The most interesting part is they corrected after the page finished loading and without a refresh.