How much does it cost to have a baby in new or taipei city

like the title line says. anyone know any actual costs? any difference between taipei and new taipei? how much is covered by nhi, and how much out of pocket?

Clinic, hospital, c section, stay at a post partum hotel. You need to be a whole lot more specific.

My recollection from a year and a half ago is that the prenatal checkups were mostly covered by NHI (There was a maximum number, perhaps ten?). There were some optional things, like the fancy 3D scan or genetic screening, that cost extra.

Then for the actual delivery, I think our bill at Wanfang Hospital was 6-7k, most of which was room fee (for a two-person room for two nights) and some checks for hearing and such. We were originally also going to pay ~6k for an epidural, but the doctor was apparently busy? so we never got it.

So, total for the pregnancy was well under 10k. It’s everything that comes before and after that costs.

taiwanease.com/en/forums/lat … t8639.html

This link above will give you a rough idea of costs associated with childbirth in Taipei city. Single person room will cost extra unless you are lucky enough to get one. I believe NHI covers the basic minimum, and any medication, extra tests, etc. will all be out of pocket.

I remember it not exceeding 70 k for a 4-night stay in a private room, no drugs no complications.

[quote=“914”]http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/latest-costs-in-taiwan-adventist-tai-an-hospital-t8639.html

This link above will give you a rough idea of costs associated with childbirth in Taipei city. Single person room will cost extra unless you are lucky enough to get one. I believe NHI covers the basic minimum, and any medication, extra tests, etc. will all be out of pocket.

I remember it not exceeding 70 k for a 4-night stay in a private room, no drugs no complications.[/quote]

70,000??!? I had a c-section, 7 days in a private room, all meals provided, and it was only 14,000, including the 5,000 for the optional painkiller you can administer yourself at regular intervals (at Wangfang Public Hospital). My son was a natural birth, no complications, private room for two days, and it was under 5,000.

Was yours covered by NHI? I didn’t have NHI. Ok, if that is way off, then I could be thinking of my husband’s hernia surgery.

Oh btw, they take cash. So you have to bring loads of cash when you check out.

[quote=“914”]Was yours covered by NHI? I didn’t have NHI. Ok, if that is way off, then I could be thinking of my husband’s hernia surgery.

Oh btw, they take cash. So you have to bring loads of cash when you check out.[/quote]

We have NHI. The optional painkiller (they did offer another one) was not covered by NHI. For my son, I forgot I did also have some other procedures, which were also covered by NHI. Did you have your kids at Adventist? I know that is more expensive than other hospitals overall.

Not at Adventist. But I think having a private room was the bulk of the charge. Mind you, it was not a nice room. It was old and in need of repair and maintenance and a new fridge and cleaner floors, but at least it was private I guess.

As a pp mentioned, I got the same line that epidural could not be administered as the anesthesiologist was busy. Just as well I guess! Saved me 6k. But the nurses told me TW women like to be induced but don’t like epidurals. So I don’t know what was going on w their refusal to epidural, if no women wanted it, the anesthesiologist could have been available to me!

Also, it was like my delivery room was party central. 10 ppl in the room.

thanks everyone