How much does Taiwan Mobile charge for breaking a contract?

I’m thinking of leaving Taiwan soon and I’m only around four months into a 2 year contract with Taiwan Mobile (台灣大哥大). I have no monthly fee for the first year, but a monthly fee for the second year.

Does anyone know about how much money I’ll have to pay to break the 2 year contract? Thanks for your help!

[quote=“Modest Mouse”]I’m thinking of leaving Taiwan soon and I’m only around four months into a 2 year contract with Taiwan Mobile (台灣大哥大). I have no monthly fee for the first year, but a monthly fee for the second year.

Does anyone know about how much money I’ll have to pay to break the 2 year contract? Thanks for your help![/quote]

WARNING!!! THE FOLLOWING MAY BE A BAD ADVICE FOR SOME:

Are you coming back? If not, then just leave without worrying about it.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”][quote=“Modest Mouse”]I’m thinking of leaving Taiwan soon and I’m only around four months into a 2 year contract with Taiwan Mobile (台灣大哥大). I have no monthly fee for the first year, but a monthly fee for the second year.

Does anyone know about how much money I’ll have to pay to break the 2 year contract? Thanks for your help![/quote]

WARNING!!! THE FOLLOWING MAY BE A BAD ADVICE FOR SOME:

Are you coming back? If not, then just leave without worrying about it.[/quote]

The contract is actually under my Taiwanese friend’s name, so I don’t want to screw him over.

whatever you do, don’t pull a runner.

As it stands, foreigners can’t get cell phones or credit cards easily because companies know that people do this, and it really screws everyone else over in the end.

Taiwan Mobile told me it would cost $16,000 to break the contract. That seems like an excessive amount considering I already paid $22,000 upfront (Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a 2 year plan - $700 a month unlimited data).

Is there another option other than breaking the contract? I’m not going to “pull a runner.”

[quote=“Modest Mouse”]Taiwan Mobile told me it would cost $16,000 to break the contract. That seems like an excessive amount considering I already paid $22,000 upfront (Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a 2 year plan - $700 a month unlimited data).

Is there another option other than breaking the contract? I’m not going to “pull a runner.”[/quote]
Sell it to someone who’s coming in? I’m hoping to be there in a few more months (it’s been slipping due to family problems), and could use a phone when I get there. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Modest Mouse”]Taiwan Mobile told me it would cost $16,000 to break the contract. That seems like an excessive amount considering I already paid $22,000 upfront (Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a 2 year plan - $700 a month unlimited data).

Is there another option other than breaking the contract? I’m not going to “pull a runner.”[/quote]

Thast why they have contracts. If you don’t want to honour it don’t sign it in the first place. The other option is to pay the penailty for not completing your contract,
or to finish your contract.

The $22k will include prepayment of monthly voice + data fees for maybe 12-18 months (why do people not understand contracts properly before signing?)

So I guess the $16k would be deducted from the prepayment first.

They cannot understand because they are illiterate in the language of the land. Not that means nuch to anybody most foreigners also try to bail out on contracts written in English then complain on the contracts they signed they didnt read about penalty clauses lol.

That’s pretty cheap. In Aus it’s whatever monthly bills remain in your contract. If I break my contract now it’ll be 12x80.92 (iphone + unlimited plan) that would be 972AUD… Now that’s a lot of money.

[quote=“cyborg_ninja”][quote=“Modest Mouse”]Taiwan Mobile told me it would cost $16,000 to break the contract. That seems like an excessive amount considering I already paid $22,000 upfront (Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a 2 year plan - $700 a month unlimited data).

That’s pretty cheap. In Aus it’s whatever monthly bills remain in your contract. If I break my contract now it’ll be 12x80.92 (iphone + unlimited plan) that would be 972AUD… Now that’s a lot of money.[/quote]

Only NT$30K but as you need your phone to keep in hourly love chats with your GF I doubt you will drop it :roflmao:

There are plenty of people here (usually exchange students) that would like to have a card with data on it. Considering how you prepaid, maybe you can give the card to a friend and ask for a little bit less money. This way you can get some of your money back and your friend can have data on their phone (which is usually very, very expensive on prepaid) for less money as well. My friend did this with me a few years back, we just went to TW Mobile and ported my prepaid number to her card, then I just paid the bill. I already had my old iPhone and the card was her moms or something like that and didn’t want it anymore. Way cheaper for me and took a bill of her hands. Was a win-win.

hey MM,

I might buy the phone and the contract from you if you are still around in April. I’ll know then if my school is going to re-new my contract. we could negotiate an amount to take over the remainder of the contract.

I want to hang on to the phone, but I am willing to sell the contract in June. If anyone is interested just PM me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk