How much is a rental in Taipei?

Hello,

we are settling to Taiwan in September.
we would like to know how muchin average it will be for a 3 room flat in Taipei dowtown ? And Where the best place to live is ?

Thanks for your help

A decent 3 bedroom apt would probably be 15,000+ in Kaohsiung although there are cheaper places. And anything in Taipei is going to be more expensive than that. Of course you can save money by living on the fringes of Taipei and commuting by MRT. I think you also need to specify where your work is since Taipei is pretty vague. It’s my preference to live near work since that is a place I go everyday while I might only go out 2-3 days/wk and not always to the same area.

my wife will work in Xinji district. We try to find a 3 room flat in this district. Is this district expensive ?

Yes, Xinyi (I assume you meant Xinyi) is expensive by Taiwan standards. I’m guessing if you want a 3 bedroom place there you’re probably looking at 20,000 minimum for a low end place. Probably 30 or 40k for a “nice” place. Someone else could probably give you a better idea. I never lived in Xinyi and just throwing out some guess work based on what I hear. Sometimes you can find diamonds in the ruff for less than you would guess. It depends a bit on luck and what you define as suitable accommodations. Personally, I would expect to pay at least 30k for a “decent” 3 bedroom place near the center of town, but wouldn’t be surprised if I needed to dish out more in order to get a place I felt really comfortable with. I’m a bit of a princess when it comes to comfort and style

This is an example of when it might make sense to live somewhere else that has convenient MRT access. Of course if you are being sent overseas being paid US wages then 30K/mo might not be a big deal. If you are being paid teaching wages then it will be a financial burden.

This is an example of when it might make sense to live somewhere else that has convenient MRT access. Of course if you are being sent overseas being paid US wages then 30K/mo might not be a big deal. If you are being paid teaching wages then it will be a financial burden.[/quote]

Exactly.

What is your budget? Xinyi we are talking top of the line, next to Daan district in terms of expensiveness. If you are in charge of an international trade office you can afford a new flat in a closed community in Xinyi, where your chauffeur drives you to work every day. If you a mere secretary or assistant, then it makes more sense to live a bit further down.

For budget purposes, an average of 25 to 35K would be a reasonable assumption. Please have a look at other threads regarding what to look for, especially details like preferably not to rent from abroad and other stuff.

In Xinyi I would be wary of you guys ending up with an expensive place say on Elephant Mountain or beyond, as if you check the Google map it looks quite close, but being on a vertical might entail a 20 minute drive to Xinyi. Furthermore, the word in Taipei is “convenience”. Everything is conveniently located and with easy access by public transportation. If you have only a community bus or a single public mini bus to commute, that is not convenient nor the norm in Taipei. Please be aware and vigilant of these, there have been cases of people expecting to live in the middle of the action in Xinyi and having a very bad surprise indeed.

Best of luck.

thanks for your feedback.
We will have a preparation trip to Taiwan to visit apartments.

Based on your experience, where do you advice ?
For the rental, we would like to spend around 20k.

Thanks for your advice
Sébastien

That’s fairly unrealistic for Xinyi. My one bedroom, fairly basic place was 20k, five years ago. Near Yongchun MRT which is not exactly the swanky end of the district. Not saying you won’t find anything, but you’ll probably have to compromise on something. Loved living there, though.

No way you can live in a decent place in Xinyi for 20k, probably more like 40k these days for 3 bdroom apartment.

What he said.

Look around Liuzhangli MRT station. Maybe around Taipei Medical University, but again, be careful, take convenience into account, stay on the main lines.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance. 20K is rather low for 3 bedroom, so looking for a place will be an interesting challenge.

What he said.

Look around Liuzhangli MRT station. Maybe around Taipei Medical University, but again, be careful, take convenience into account, stay on the main lines.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance. 20K is rather low for 3 bedroom, so looking for a place will be an interesting challenge.[/quote]

Yeah, I realize how bad my numbers are now. I looked at a 3 bedroom place a couple of years ago in Xindian that was 20,000. Not a bad apartment at all. But that would make a comparable apartment in the not-so-expensive parts of Taipei City 25-30k, then add another 10k+ for the more pricy areas of Taipei

I saw a couple of 3 bedroom places in Shilin that were about 20k/month, but they looked like they were built before the Japanese arrived. All the places I looked at were close to an MRT so that was part of the price too