How much is hiring a lawyer (for salary dispute)?

So I’m going home to the states on July 13th for good. The contract says the school owes me 15 days of salary, bonus pay for teaching evaluation, and flight reimbursement. They would need to pay it by August 10th. They have agreed to wire transfer everything to me however I think they could decide to skip out on paying me. The contract ends on July 15th. I won’t be in Taiwan to fight for what they owe me. I might need to designate someone to enforce that I get paid. If I need to hire a lawyer how much does it cost? An estimation is appreciated.

You should go to the labour affairs office first cause they’re free.

Otherwise I would guesstimate about $12000 for the scary letter from the lawyer.

1 Like

Thanks! I plan to call the labor center this week and if I need to visit in person I will before leaving the country. Trying to see what other options I also have in case the school pulls some bs.

Yea for sure. Its the one at the city or county hall where you live.

1 Like

Yup. I’ve contacted the guy before and he was helpful so hopefully he can give me some good news.

For a lawyer to fight a whole case for you, expect it to be in the tens of thousands. If you win, you get a refund of the court fee (usually small) but not the lawyer’s fee.

3 Likes

Are they nationwide or only working with certain cities?

what are typical lawyer rates per hour?