How much is your rent?

I paid $9000 to share an apartment in Hsintien (decent size, with a claustrophobic but clean kitchen, a few roaches) in a complex with a pool and security. It had a nice view of Bi Tan if you went out the living room balcony. I am paying $10,000 for a spacious room (with attached bath), big enough for a sofa, huge desk, huge bed, bookshelf, three end tables and still lots of room to walk around. Unfortunately my two roommates are paying the other half of the rent. So far (knock on wood) only three bugs have been spotted here since I moved in back in February 2002. My current place has a great view of the mountains and the view from the back balcony is like a butterfly garden. Wouldn’t mind finding a place where the rent was a little less lopsided, though… The Hsintien apartment was furnished. The Mucha one wasn’t.

Is Hsin Tien b[/b] still considered the boonhicks ? Good places used to be cheap as chips there, and the ride into town is no great hardship.

It’s getting closer with the MRT up and running. A few big condos have been built. I have heard of NT$20k leases in one of them and that place was huge and next door to the MRT. However, you can’t make it into town in less than 30 munutes, and that opens possibilities such as Lotus Hill for you. A cheap car might set you up for a commute from places like ankeng etc, where the rent is cheaper and the air is even cleaner.

16 ping Japanese style room in a fairly new condo in downtown Taipei, 28k a month. Have a nice view on Yang Ming Shan at least.
Currently looking for a new (bigger) place.

[quote=“Rascal”]16 ping Japanese style room in a fairly new condo in downtown Taipei, 28k a month. Have a nice view on Yang Ming Shan at least.
Currently looking for a new (bigger) place.[/quote]

Are you paying 28k for just a room ?

Do you think I am nuts? - My company is paying! :wink:

That’s the trade-off I complained about - you want something newish and nice you gotta pay for it (USD1500 and up) or it’s going to be small, well, tiny.
I just came back from viewing 4 places, all ~3-5 years old, 2 bedrooms and bathrooms bigger than my current closet, downtown Taipei and around the 35-40k mark - but nothing which really suits me … will continue searching tomorrow.

I viewed a nice unit in HsinTien, the one advertised here on the forums by Kotina - great place near MRT but takes too long to get my office (around 1 hour in total with 2 transfers). If you work along the red (green/orange) line I would highly recommend that place. Drop me a PM for more intimate details.