How much money needed?

I want to come ASAP after my University graduation December 18th 2005. If I am frugal with my money between now and then I should have 3-4K USD saved… if I wait until mid Feb I will have about 6K USD saved… Not sure how much I really need to have before I leave to be conformable… I have not decided if I will leave with a roommate or just get my own place… I have lived with one person before here in the states… It was horrible… He would not clean… do the dishes… take out the trash…and he ate my food that I prepared for myself .and my protein mix all the time… good thing we had two bathrooms… his was a mess… I paid 800USD to have it fix after he left… So I am little hesitant about having a roommate… but I would pay a lot less, the place would be probably furnished— so need to buy a TV, DVD, etc… … which means I would need less money and could come sooner…and he or she would know a little bit about the city… but I do love living by myself… never have to worry if my date and I are bothering my roommate(s)…

I am looking for help from those who have already gone through what I am about to experience…

This might help with the estimated figures

1. I already have a gym membership… 24hour fitness = California Fitness in Taiwan…

2. I eat a lot of food (6-7 small meals a day) I cook most of it myself… Rice, beans, milk, eggs, vegetables, fruit, milk, and protein/meal replacement mix… I need to do a post on where to find this and how… much… also at least gallon of water a day

3. Enjoy nightlife… but I do not drink… I only drink water in clubs…

4. Want to take Chinese lessons…this is the major reason I am coming…

5. Interested in Martial arts… good form of cardio…

Anything else you can think of… would be helpful… again I am just trying to decide how much I need to bring to be safe… I do not want to take just any job to eat… and end up hating everyday I go to work… I could do that here…

Any info is greatly appreciated…

In Taiwan you will find that cooking for yourself is actually more expensive than eating out in terms of having to do the dishes, clean up and prepare the foods. Unless you are just cooking VERY plain foods (like veggies with nothing but salt) or eating ramen noodles. The only places that are expensive is like clubs and stuff, and “high class” restraunts or “American” restraunts (like Chilli’s) otherwise if you eat at mom and pop places you will not even want to cook yourself.

You better check wheather gym memberships in USA applies in Taiwan though…

I went to Taiwan with 1200 NT ($36 US) and I lived there for 2 years. I’m sure you’ll do just fine with $6000 US. It’s not expensive to get your own place. It’s good to have friends already here though. That’s what helped me.

A few thousand US will be plenty to get set up. Check out these guys for temporary accommodation.

www.mandarinhostel.com

You get your own room in small 3-4 bedroom apartment for NT10-12,000 a month. Good place to stay while you look for permanent lodging. No. I don’t work for them. I found them when researching hotels and hostels in Taipei for Lonely Planet.

As for cooking, if you care about your health, you will want to cook at home. Mom and pop places uses shit oil, have questionable standards of hygiene, and use questionable methods of washing and preparing and storing their foods. You also do not know if they are serving you veggies grown down by the river, or meat at slashed prices because it’s from the foot and mouth disease peddlar down the street.

If you do not eat that much meat, it is cheap to cook at home even buying organic veggies and grains and oats and beans as I do.

Living by yourself in a decent place with a kitchen expect to pay NT15,000 or more.

Chinese lessons are NT5000 a month for 2 hours a day.

Water, use a Brita filter or a RO system. Otherwise buy. Not expensive but leave you with too many plastic bottles hanging around.

With $3000 US you could live for 2 months or so quite comfortably as you looked for work and took Chinese lessons.

I’d say wait until you save $6000 though as it sure would be nice when you get your own place to spend a little money to buy things to fix it up nicely, maybe a decent stereo and furniture that isn’t from Carrefore or Costco. :slight_smile:

Stereo systems… go to any Usher dealership (several around the island) and get something like AU-7500 or over and S520 speaker and you’ve got a kickass audio system that costs only about 10,000 NT. S520 speaker are sold in USA by Response Audio and others for about 400US dollars so it is a bargain price here. Get their stereo racks too, its only 4500NT which is cheap for a solid wood furniture, and I really like its simplicity and its quite strong. Only problem is that it weights half a ton (but they will deliver free of charge)

www.usheraudio.com to locate a dealer…

Other systems, I heard Marantz is good and stuff, but most of the stereo dealerships I find around here I really dont know what to get and too much low quality chinese made stuff that you dont even know about.

rahimiiii

Thanks … 24 hours fitness owns the Califoria Fitness in Taiwan… it should not be a problem… I have an all access memberhsip…How much does it cost… I pay 35-40 USD if ti ios cheaper… then I will jsut get one there… do they have start up cost…?

Yes I eat very … very… very… plain…I do not even have salt in my house… I do it becasue it is cheap this way… and I get to have a nice body… if I want bad food (that taste sooo goood)… I go out to eat 2 times a week… the rest is plan… All I have in my house is…

Milk (love it… that is my beer)
Oatmeal
Brown rice
WAter( I use my own filter from the tap)
Fresh fruit
Fresh vegstables
Chicken breast
Red meat (very little)
Eggs
Olive Oil (only)… no vegstable or corn oil …not good for you
any kind of nuts…WHAT KIND DO THEY HAVE IN TAIWAN THAT DOES NOT NEED TO BE IMPORTED
Noodles (Plain,… and I mean plain…lol)
Protien Mix/Meal replacement powder…
and some sause for the rice… somethime it get hard to eat without sause… but that is it… really… nothing else not even soy sause or salt …I know weird but somethimes that is what it takes… I like it this way… I really lookforeward to those cheat meals 2-3 times a week… :slight_smile: I usally save those for hanging out with friends or dates… (if a date or a friend what to have something else to eat while wathcing a move at my house you better bring it becasue you will not find anyting you like… unless you are like me… then it heaven…)

Mucha Man

Thanks… too

No I do not eat meat that much… it is hard to digest… I like egg whites… milk… and protien mix (GNC)… I do not shop at GNC here … I get it much cheaper… I am being told that it is expensive… in Taiwan… and that I should have it shipped.(but Costco’s did not seem that bad but more than I pay here without shipping though)… anyone know how to ship it cheap… a year supply would weigh… 350lbs… how would I get it from the ship yard to Taipei…?.. it would fit in a van or a truck… :s

I have a brita… filter now… I will jsut bring that (and 5-6 filters)… so it is safe to drink the tap water… do you need to boil it first.?

$3000 would only last 2 months… :s … maybe my calculations are wrong…

Please tell me what I am missing… ( rember bare needs no partying… that will come when I have a job… :smiley: and it will come… )

APT 15,000 month
Food 8,300
Gym 1,100
Misc 2,500
Total 27,000 = $820 USD

3000/820 = 3.65 months
6000/820 = 7.32 months

Chinese lessons will come after I get a job… so will a girfriend… hope it does not take to long to get a job… :smiley:

I am not really that big into steros…I want a nice tv… 27" or bigger (used is ok)… a dvd player… and decent furniture… for those blockbuster nights :smiley: … My place here is decerated with most stuff World Market ( Asian style) and IKEA… I care more about look than sound…

Thanks … any more things you can think of let me… know … How is the dating situation for someone like me…

[quote=“shanem2778”]

I am not really that big into steros…I want a nice tv… 27" or bigger (used is ok)… a dvd player… and decent furniture… for those blockbuster nights :smiley: … My place here is decerated with most stuff World Market ( Asian style) and IKEA… I care more about look than sound…

Thanks … any more things you can think of let me… know … How is the dating situation for someone like me…[/quote]

Just get a computer with a DVD drive and you will hit 2 birds with one stone and you wont need to curse yourself trying to lug that idiotbox around when you move (but I will probably curse trying to move my AU-9000 and the stereo stand… the stand weights 30kg and the amp weights 16kg… going to need a cart…)

If you do shared accommodation you could easily halve that rent figure. I’m paying NT$9000 a month for a reasonably large room in a nice apartment in the center of Taipei, and one of the guys living here is paying NT$8000. If you don’t want to live in the heart of the city and are willing to share accommodation, you could easily get a room for NT$7000, and if you choose not to live in Taipei at all you could drop that way lower.

I could live with someone aslong as they follow rules…

Do not eat my pre-planned meals… :fume:
I will have overnight guest… :smiley:
Keep the palce clean…it that too much to ask…

Tetsuo…

thanks for your responce… Is that the right amout for a good one bedroom with a kitchen… in Taipei City…I live in city (Houston Texas) with 2-3 million people… and everthing you need… I do not think that I could live in a small town… I acually live 35 miles from Houston… in a suburb… Houston is so big that 35 miles is no big deal… most peole drive that to work everyday here…

If I picked a a place outside the city how much would it be… and how long would it take to get to town… I need a gym that is close by… I drive 15 mins now and that is not a big deal…

I have encountered people who tell me Taipei is soooo expensive. Yeah, eat in the Cantonese restaurants for 800 NT per person or more and buy western chocolate (at home 1 Euro/USD, here double price) and buy western food in 101. Go for the Ha

I really to not go outside my diet. (that is why I cook myself)… candy… no… ice cream no… I like to keep it basic… that part I am not worried about… as for the girlfriend… well… i will spend money on her…like I do here… but if she demands too much then …no… I do not care how attractive… I date very attractive women in the states… my ex was a bikini model in one of the local magazines… she was on a billboard… for a nightclub… she was Chinese… sooo attractive… but I had a limit on what I would spend… she knew that and would not come close… if she wanted something that was expensive… I would pay what could … then she would pay the rest… if she really wanted it and could not afford it herself…

I will not change in Taiwan…

I think

Erh, no, I mean why? You can always get another one in any case.

HG

[quote=“shanem2778”]I really to not go outside my diet.

I will not change In Taiwan…

[/quote]

I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I think you are going to have a bit of trouble adjusting to Taiwan. Good luck.

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“shanem2778”]I really to not go outside my diet.

I will not change In Taiwan…

[/quote]

I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I think you are going to have a bit of trouble adjusting to Taiwan. Good luck.[/quote]

Not at all. It is very easy now to have a healthy lifestyle in Taipei. I do. Like shanem, I eat healthy at home almost every meal and go out once or twice with my wife or friends for regular meals. God, I would never eat out all the time, and never would want to eat Chinese food everyday.

I love living here, and enjoy the variety of styles of cooking available but I still prefer to eat healthy and western most of the time. The only time shanem will have trouble is when he travels.

All shanem needs to do is find out where to buy the things he wants to eat. And that’s what forumosa is all about.

I have lived in other countries before and did not change my diet… just because I am coming to Taiwan… does not mean that I need to change my diet… WTF ???

I only cook three times a week to save time because I work 60hrs a week, I am taking 6 classes this semester to graduate so I can come to Taiwan soon, I go to the gym 6 days, and I have an active social life… I cook enough to last a few days… when I go out to eat … like I would in Taiwan

Huang Guang Chen

I was not trying to insult you or any guy for that matter about spending a lot of money that they really cannot afford too much on girlfriends.

It is just a common thing that you see… self confidence problem… An average Joe thinks… he does not deserve the girl… so he spends all the money on her… Manly he thinks that he will not get another girl like that again… so he tries to do anything to keep her…*** I wrote a paper on this ***… in all reality the girl choose to date him… so there was something to begin with… guys with self confidence problems do not see that fact… sad

[quote=“Muzha Man”]As for cooking, if you care about your health, you will want to cook at home. Mom and pop places uses shit oil, have questionable standards of hygiene, and use questionable methods of washing and preparing and storing their foods. You also do not know if they are serving you veggies grown down by the river, or meat at slashed prices because it’s from the foot and mouth disease peddlar down the street.

If you do not eat that much meat, it is cheap to cook at home even buying organic veggies and grains and oats and beans as I do.

Living by yourself in a decent place with a kitchen expect to pay NT15,000 or more. [/quote]

How practical is it to cook for oneself? I wanted to get a place by myself with a kitchen like you described for the health reasons you mentioned. But, I don’t eat deli meats–so lunch sandwiches are out for me. Do most schools have a dining hall or lounge where teachers can microwave their food?

[quote=“Persephone”][quote=“Muzha Man”]As for cooking, if you care about your health, you will want to cook at home. Mom and pop places uses shit oil, have questionable standards of hygiene, and use questionable methods of washing and preparing and storing their foods. You also do not know if they are serving you veggies grown down by the river, or meat at slashed prices because it’s from the foot and mouth disease peddlar down the street.

Living by yourself in a decent place with a kitchen expect to pay NT15,000 or more. [/quote]

How practical is it to cook for oneself? I wanted to get a place by myself with a kitchen like you described for the health reasons you mentioned. But, I don’t eat deli meats–so lunch sandwiches are out for me. Do most schools have a dining hall or lounge where teachers can microwave their food?[/quote]

I don’t teach anymore but I remember most schools would have a microwave and fridge and a teacher’s area where people ate. If you are teaching at a kindergarten they will have a kitchen for sure.

Most offices in Taipei at least have a fridge and a microwave available for employees, too. Many people bring in their own lunch box and heat it up to eat in the office. It’s quite common.

Sometimes, it’s nice to get out of the office, too, though. You can always find a little park near your office or school to enjoy your lunch al fresco and get away from your place of employment.

I know, relax, I was joking.

HG