How much money should I put aside for the beginning?

I guess this question has been asked before, but since money issues change quickly I’m posting this question in order to get the most up to date info.
I’m moving to Taiwan this august to study at shida on a MOFA scholarship. I read that the scholarship is paid only after the first 2 months so I wanted to ask your advice on what is the averege amount one usually spends in a month (rent, food, bills and a little going out)? how much money should I put aside for all sorts of “setteling in” expenses (like deposits, furniture etc.) ?

Rent, small apartment: NT$8000 and up
big: NT$15 000 and up
Second-hand scooter : NT$15 000 and up
gas/petrol, fill up: NT100
Eating out:
Breakfast: NT50
other meals (non-western) NT70 - NT100
watermelon juice: NT25
newspaper NT$15

[quote=“izzy”]I guess this question has been asked before, but since money issues change quickly I’m posting this question in order to get the most up to date info.
I’m moving to Taiwan this august to study at Shi-Da on a MOFA scholarship. I read that the scholarship is paid only after the first 2 months so I wanted to ask your advice on what is the averege amount one usually spends in a month (rent, food, bills and a little going out)? how much money should I put aside for all sorts of “setteling in” expenses (like deposits, furniture etc.) ?[/quote]

Simply put: Bring as much as you can.

Bare minimum:

$2000 US (dont touch, this is your emergency fund and is also your prrof money to the MOE that you can sustain yourself in taiwan without working for when it comes time to apply for your ARC. Remember, visitor Visa holders who are studying cannot work without approval from the MOE first)

$Tuition / School costs : However much you nee dto pay to Shida upfront and have enough for the following Semester too.

$1000 Minimum for spending money to get on your feet and establish yourself. ie: apartment, basic furniture, food, etc.

That should Tide you over for 2 months. A lot of folks teach privates to sustain themselves or at schools that arent exactly legit with the MOE. It is possible for you to do this…but I am not “telling” you that it is safe or wise. That is something you need to decide for yourself.

You can apply for scholarships but you will need to finish your first Semester before you can do that.

Good luck!