How much money will I need for a week in Thailand?

might or might not be with my girlfriend. I don’t want to spend too much on hotels, but will splurge on ‘‘entertainment’’ if the girls not in tow. Will take a trip to Chiang Mai, too.
20k?

20K easily enough. I did a week on 15K and had a ball.

lodgings in CM 500-1000 Baht per night for a/c

island lodgings 800-2000 Baht per night for a/c

Bangkok lodgings ~1000 Baht per night for a/c

if you want to stay somewhere grimy (with a/c) then you can find cheaper. But if you are going with GF or plan to meet GF while there you might want clean sheets.

Thailand grounded a lot of the cheaper airlines, so flying will have to be done with AirAsia, Thai or Bangkok which means more dinero. Check their sites.

stick to ‘Sangsom sets’ and Chang Beer your boozing will be cheap.

Food is cheap everywhere.

[quote=“trubadour”]will splurge on ‘‘entertainment’’ if the girls not in tow.
20k?[/quote]

I hope your girlfriend does, too, 小人.

Can you be a little more specific? Are you going to spend the entire time in Bangkok? Heading down to the islands? I second a rough 20k estimate. I am, however, a hedon when in Thailand.

if need any advice regarding Thailand, feel free to contact me.

How are you getting to Chiang Mai? I guess you are flying up there and back otherwise it’s a long and tedious bus trip…

So thats about 4,000 baht right there.

Cheap hotel in Bangkok is the Sawasdee Sukhumvit Inn. Book online and its about 1,000 NT a night for the nicer rooms.

I reckon it can be done on 20k if you eat like the locals and don’t indulge too much in the ‘entertainment’ aspect of it all :wink:

Those katoeys can be hard to spot.

HG

20K Baht is about 1 night out by my reckoning. Do you guys have any fun at all when you go away?

Bangkok stay at the Peninsula or if you really want to push the boat out try the Mandarin.

Take your girl to Scirocco for drinks and dine at the top floor of the Banyan tree

Early morning ride on a water taxi to see the floating market will blow her mind.

If she doesn’t come you’ll want a similar budget. Head to Sukhumvit Soi 3 and I think you’ll work out what to do with it.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]20K Baht is about 1 night out by my reckoning. Do you guys have any fun at all when you go away?

Bangkok stay at the Peninsula or if you really want to push the boat out try the Mandarin.

Take your girl to Scirocco for drinks and dine at the top floor of the Banyan tree

Early morning ride on a water taxi to see the floating market will blow her mind.

If she doesn’t come you’ll want a similar budget. Head to Sukhumvit Soi 3 and I think you’ll work out what to do with it.[/quote]

Boring! EA, you’re so provincial.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Edgar Allen”]20K Baht is about 1 night out by my reckoning. Do you guys have any fun at all when you go away?

If she doesn’t come you’ll want a similar budget. Head to Sukhumvit Soi 3 and I think you’ll work out what to do with it.[/quote]

Boring! EA, you’re so provincial.[/quote]

:raspberry: And your itinerary madame?

You can get free acconnodation thanks to a Thai government programme. I think it is called “le majeste” or something like that.

They also put you up if you manage to climb all the way to the top of the Reclining Buddha.

Luuuxury follows no itinerary, my dear EA. And a little bit of local.

Absolutely honestly, the best curry in Bangkok is to be had in the busdrivers’ lounge behind the MBK.

Those katoeys can be hard to spot. [/quote]
And what, may I ask, is wrong with katoeys?

Notorious pickpockets.

But they’re ever so pretty.

QFT = Quoted For Truth

My gf has a very close friend (well… used to) that is a ladyboy and she even shared our hotel room a few times. The last night in Bangkok the ‘friend’ woke up at about 4am and stole 1000 baht from the gf and 500 baht from my wallet. Luckily that’s all I had left - just enough for the exit tax (which I later found out has been abolished… thank god!)

Sneaky wench :fume:

You can spend a little over a hundred baht a night for a cheap room in a Khao San Road flophouse and eat cheap street stall food if you want, or you can blow your cash on fine hotels and restaurants, booze, clubs and…ahem… “entertainment” for tens of thousands.

It all depends on what you want to do. And what your gf’s level of comfort is.

You can also take the sleeper train to Chiang Mai. Not bad. (If you fly, you can even walk from Chiang Mai airport to the walled city of Chiang Mai if you feel cheap…it’s only a mile away)

That’s really depressing and touristy, if you’re over 18. 1-2000 for a hotel and same again for ents. More for somewhere nice. Edgar Allen can best advise on the middle budget stuff.

I spent 3 weeks in Bangkok and 4 days in Khon Kaen on my last trip. Stayed in my gf apartment so didn’t have to spend money on a hotel. We did splash out on Valentines day though and it felt like being royalty having a big soft bed and hot water…!

There is a food court near the Phrom Prong(?) BTS station called ‘Nam Thai’ - seriously the best value Thai food in town. It’s authentic and delicious - plus they have beer girls for some eye candy (be careful perving if you are with the missus)

We ate there most nights and the bill never came to more than 200 baht between us. My mouth is watering just remembering the food there.

For brunch we ate a huge bowl of 30 baht noodles from the street vendor near the gf shop in Silom Square. Snacks were bought from the street also. Fresh fruit, bbq pork, stcky rice.

God I miss Thailand :frowning: