How much of a nanny state is Taiwan?

No unexplained deaths are ever investigated in Europe?

:thinking:

They are not real Teenagers because they don’t care about things you like? What an entitled thing to say.

And yet, they still do it anyways. You should probably leave the sweeping statements at home.

Taiwan has freedom. If they care about it enough, they will change it.

You can’t graduate in Taiwan unless you can swim 50 meters (off the top of my head, but I think I’m right). There will be exceptions.

I had one student last week almost crying in class, last year of Highschool, because his mother force him to do this and that.
Another one already in the university explaining she couldn’t decide what to study and was force by her mother.
Another one… and so on.
Maybe you don’t speak with taiwanese teenagers.

In a pool? swiming beside the wall where your feet can touch the bottom of the pool?

1 Like

So?

So?

How would you know that? It’s impossible to know the entire country.

I’m pretty sure it’s 50 meters. I am often wrong, though.

I mean that 50m in a pool and nothing is almost the same.

At my son’s school at least they made sure you didn’t touch the sides, ropes or floor.

1 Like

Could well be. Who knows for sure?

They certainly did fine people spitting during the first sars, even in the dirty south. taiwan tends to have lots of laws seemingly intentionally vague, in order to be able to pounce at any time. The police here just tend not to overstep their bounds on the norm. that is to say, they are lazy and after traffic quotas mostly.

You also cant fail in school in taiwan haha. They pass everyone, you will graduate if you cant swim. Thats one of those “possibly on paper to scare you” type things.

2 Likes

Lol that is completely untrue.

2 Likes

As I said, I’m often wrong.

My students are lying to me. Cheeky buggers!

1 Like

I swim all the time for fun, but absolutely despised mandatory swimming lessons as a child. My lips would turn blue and sometimes I wouldn’t stop shivering until 20 minutes after I got out of the pool. My parents were pretty hands-off, but I asked them to complain until I could get an exemption. Heated pools, on the other hand, were no problem.

1 Like

In the major cities I would say it is a nanny state, but if you get out in the far reaches it is more like the Wild West.

2 Likes

No, you actually can’t, but you collect everything in a cup and than throw it out on the road.

1 Like

Yea when I was little seeing binglang juice on the floor I thought someone had died…

1 Like

QFT…Also some of the cities and towns are still a bit wild west too.

1 Like

If only. I agree that taiwanese police are mostly lazy, but in 14 months of running around Taipei all hours of the day and night I think I only ever saw one traffic stop. Used to piss me off that they keep a Taipei police officer posted on the middle floor of Minquan West Road Station doing f*** all when he could be writing a hundred tickets an hour to the idiotic motorists just outside.

Well he’s assigned to that spot maintaining security and all that…

Plus do you really want to be assigned to go outside in this heat? wearing all that gear too.